From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
It's that time of the season where it's the last chance for non-GP/non-JGP/non-euros & worlds athletes to get on the Seasons Best list for next season.

In ladies, Sakhanovich and Tarusina, who is making her challenger debut, are scheduled for the Inge Solar memorial. Gubanova was assigned here, but was replaced by Sakhanovich. :( Tallinn Trophy and Golden Spin are the final two CS events (entries not out yet). I hope that Guilakova is selected; she's won 2 Russian Cups and she medaled on the JGP last season. She should get an international assignment. Other athletes who have done well on the Russian Cup Series who should be considered include Gubanova, Nugumanova, and Shilenko.

Ka3sha

It's that time of the season where it's the last chance for non-GP/non-JGP/non-euros & worlds athletes to get on the Seasons Best list for next season.
I expect that lot’s of St Petersburg skaters will be at Tallinn Trophy this year as Tallinn is just 6 hours away.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Everyone keep repeating that Tuktamysheva has almost perfect jump technique. Does she really, though? If she had, she wouldn’t struggle with jumps three out of every four years. If someone had almost perfect technique, the jumps would be happening always. Hers are not.

Many skaters have great jumps. It doesn't mean they will always land those in competitions, that is under pressure.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I also think it is immensely ego-centric of her to assume that the personal difficulties of some Northern American skaters are due to Trusova being thinner than them....
Tarasova does not a) even mentions Trusova or uses the word "thinner" in connection to her name, b) does not make direct comparison to any particular girls, names, etc. She says "14 year olds and quads" which also applies to girls in US, Korean, Japanese, who already tried Quads in competition and/or published videos of performing such in practices.

I don't agree with TAT, nor think she should be saying this out loud for a number of reasons, even if she thinks so. I do however think that in more general terms, many athletes asses their abilities and prospects each season against their competitors, and in some sports "youth, lightness, less injuries" are advantages. If one feels his/her prospects are lessened in general, one can possibly feel depressed or anxious.. Right now not only North Am. girls are going through "the motions"... Radionova, Sotnikova, and few other Russian girls are also doing some "deep soul searching" about their future.. :lol:

quiqie

I remember Ashley Wagner saying she feels a lot of pressure because of all the (American) girls, e.g. Gracie Gold, who could do 3-3s easily. So what did she do, she worked on her 3-3 to make it less MIA and kept her weight in check. At some point it stopped working and she was sidelined by the younger generation and she said she became depressed. How is that different from what TAT says? She’s not saying that 14 year olds are never going to struggle with puberty. She says that there is always going to be someone younger (and hungrier) who can do what you can’t, and you can’t help it, even if you starve yourself.

ChiquitaBanana

I remember Ashley Wagner saying she feels a lot of pressure because of all the (American) girls, e.g. Gracie Gold, who could do 3-3s easily. So what did she do, she worked on her 3-3 to make it less MIA and kept her weight in check. At some point it stopped working and she was sidelined by the younger generation and she said she became depressed. How is that different from what TAT says? She’s not saying that 14 year olds are never going to struggle with puberty. She says that there is always going to be someone younger (and hungrier) who can do what you can’t, and you can’t help it, even if you starve yourself.

But she implies that only North American skaters struggle...

starrynight

I suppose the Russian ladies constantly being overtaken probably struggle a lot too. I think every Russian lady will have their turn at that. But I think Tarasova refers to the Russian skaters as a whole rather than individuals.

I just find there to be nothing inspiring about this whole, 'can't eat, can't drink water' schtick. And we know it's a very real thing after Zagitova gave that interview talking about limiting her water intake. I know some people love it because it's all about iron will and discipline apparently, but it's not my scene and I don't gain enjoyment witnessing it.

quiqie

She was asked a general question: what about the rivals of Russian skaters, who can surprise us. The top story right now is that three North American skaters (Gold, Wagner, Daleman) are having psychological problems. She’s trying to explain why it happens.
I realize that the perception and dealing with “psychological problems” is different in America in that you don’t talk about psychological problems out loud (I remember comments on this board when any of the Russian skaters admitted to having struggled mentally or working with a psychologist, and now that Gold has spoken about the psychological issues being stigmatized), but this interview is for the Russian audience.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

She was asked a general question: what about the rivals of Russian skaters, who can surprise us. The top story right now is that three North American skaters (Gold, Wagner, Daleman) are having psychological problems. She’s trying to explain why it happens.
I realize that the perception and dealing with “psychological problems” is different in America in that you don’t talk about psychological problems out loud (I remember comments on this board when any of the Russian skaters admitted to having struggled mentally or working with a psychologist, and now that Gold has spoken about the psychological issues being stigmatized), but this interview is for the Russian audience.

I don’t know much about Russian or American way of thinking but seeing a psychologist for mental training is common practice in Canada...

hanca

Values her privacy
How do you know what she wants and not want? She may want it partially but not enough. Yet it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t want it at all. To figure out what one wants can take time.

Amantide

Guys, what the name of that russian dance couple I saw in test skates. It's a knew one and they had some "weird" and very interesting programs. They were wearing black.

I don't remember their names.

Amantide

Shpilevaya/Smirnov?

YAS! Thank you very much. :)
They were the ones who caught my attention at test skate. But I didn't watch any competion before SA, to see if they were competing in one. I wanted to see if I could find smth on youtube but I didn't remember their name.

I found a video of their performance in Finlandia Trophy now. I think I found my new favorit ID couple. I love their programs. :swoon:

Tinami Amori

Amantide

Ty @Tinami Amori :)
I feel like I've been living in space the last 6 months. I've been busy doing other stuff and haven't been much involved with skating. I don't even know how the new judging system works rn. :confused:
Need some lessons. Is there any site which can explain this thing in details?

Tinami Amori

Ty @Tinami Amori :)
I feel like I've been living in space the last 6 months. I've been busy doing other stuff and haven't been much involved with skating. I don't even know how the new judging system works rn. :confused:
If you're asking about dance, i don't follow tech details, just enjoy the show. But i can give links to singles..

- an official one from ISU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4RFeiuGn8
(the whole set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4RFeiuGn8&list=PLQ1NUj79M3IwIzqVxieN15GEAQCvhwlZA )

also there is an explanation on TSL
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCB1nNYymkk
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuyGop8tn0

Dobre

Hi @Amantide ,

We've had a lot of discussions about it in a few different threads. The Dance Hall thread in the Trash Can is one. (Of course it's looong and full of other stuff, but it would also get you up to speed on all the splits & coaching changes this summer if you're behind). There are also some good links in there to specific pages in the handbook that might be useful and/or other easier to read sources.

I would start with this thread, though, as it is directly related to your topic and will require much less sifting:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ts-for-technical-rules-season-2018-19.103686/

FYI, Shpilevaya & Smirnov have been skating on the JGP for years so there are a bunch of programs by them to youtube if you are interested.

Last edited:

Amantide

If you're asking about dance, i don't follow tech details, just enjoy the show. But i can give links to singles..

- an official one from ISU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4RFeiuGn8
(the whole set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4RFeiuGn8&list=PLQ1NUj79M3IwIzqVxieN15GEAQCvhwlZA )

also there is an explanation on TSL
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCB1nNYymkk
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuyGop8tn0

Yeah, me too. And with age I'm becoming less patient with anything really. lol
But I would like to have a general knowledge about the changes.

Hi @Amantide ,

We've had a lot of discussions about it in a few different threads. The Dance Hall thread in the Trash Can is one. (Of course it's looong and full of other stuff, but it would also get you up to speed on all the splits & coaching changes this summer if you're behind). There are also some good links in there to specific pages in the handbook that might be useful and/or other easier to read sources.

I would start with this thread, though, as it is directly related to your topic and will require much less sifting:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ts-for-technical-rules-season-2018-19.103686/

FYI, Shpilevaya & Smirnov have been skating on the JGP for years so there are a bunch of programs by them to youtube if you are interested.

Thank you very much, Dobre. That would be really helpful.
I don't usually follow Juniors, except the girls in the last two seasons. Even them, mostly at major competitions. But Ima gonna dig their videos now. This is a couple I'm really looking forward to, for the next 4 years. :saint:

Darkverse

Leonova explained in the interview she makes her money with figure skating while coaching and giving master classes. In the past interviews (I think 2-3 years ago) she was saying she didn't know what to do with herself because she doesn't really know how to do anything else.
I think it's a bit sad when a 28y.o woman can't do anything except for clinging to what she used to do since the age of 4 and she is no longer good enough at that.
Am also curious why is it worth for Rukavitsin to keep her - she is not part of the team, so if I understand it right she doesn't bring any funding to the school and unless she pays for the ice time and his time (which I doubt she does) he is wasting the funds brought to the club by the other skaters (Aliev) on Leonova, who has 0 potential (unless, again, he sees a potential in her becoming a good coach and wants her in the team. That would explain)
Every group has some "dead weight" skaters that can at the very best hope to simply make it to Nationals. It's impossible to have a group consisting solely of Team Russia members, few coaches have even one. Most groups have only "dead weight" skaters and yet they still receive funding and are able to continue working. As for Leonova, she is a MSMK (Master of Sports of International Class) and having one in the group means more money. MSMKs are never "dead weight" skaters, coaches love having them.

Mad for Skating

Guys, what the name of that russian dance couple I saw in test skates. It's a knew one and they had some "weird" and very interesting programs. They were wearing black.

I don't remember their names.

I really like them too! They’re edgy, cool, and they’re fresh talent to brighten up the scene 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information