ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

Sylvia

TBD
ETA - I think one of the reasons for the late withdrawals in the case of long term injuries is that the skaters are typical tough athletes who are always pushing themselves and hoping their recovery will go as quickly and smoothly as possible and want to hold out until the last possible moment before accepting the reality that they have to withdraw. It’s easy to say from the outside that the skater will have to withdraw, but not always easy to accept for someone who is frequently pushing past pain anyway.
Yes.

Do we know why Dabin Choi has WD from her GPs?

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I wish the ladies who knew ahead of time of their more deep-rooted issues (mental or physical) would withdraw earlier to allow time for replacements. Assignments for someone like Kailani Craine are so important.

Anyone invited at the last minute would feel so short changed, and would probably feel like they were skating for last place. Given that most of the skaters train to peak at competition, it would be such a scramble trying to find any kind of form at all.

I know that the final has reserves in case a single or team withdraws. Maybe the ISU and each host should consider implementing specific reserves for each of the six events as well.

concorde

Maybe the ISU and each host should consider implementing specific reserves for each of the six events as well.

Not sure how that would work.
I can see a situation where a "reserve" spot could preclude a host form selecting an individual for a last minute opportunity.

wickedwitch

I wish the ladies who knew ahead of time of their more deep-rooted issues (mental or physical) would withdraw earlier to allow time for replacements. Assignments for someone like Kailani Craine are so important.
Unlike a broken bone or something with a more straight forward recovery, there is no "standard" recovery progression, so it's hard to predicted when they will be ready to compete.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Current alternates list, to my best estimation

LADIES
*Eunsoo Lim - 34
*Courtney Hicks- 41
Hanul Kim- 46
Emmy Ma - 53 (no 18-19 comps yet)
So Hyun An- 58 (no 18-19 comps yet)
Kailani Craine - 59
*Matilda Algotsson- 62
*Viveca Lindfors- 63
Lea Dastich- 64
*Alexia Paganini- 66

RUS but spots currently maxed besides SA in 3 days
30- Leonova
32- Sakhanovich
36- Mikhailova
42- Guliakova

JPN but spots currently maxed
*26- Shiraiwa
*31- Hongo

Last edited:

wickedwitch

I'm of the "spread the wealth" mentality when it comes to assignments for lower-ranked skaters. Starr Andrews (SA) and Angela Wang (NHK) already have one GP assignment for this season. Why give them two when you could give one to someone who has none?

Craine is higher on the SB list than both Andrews and Wang: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2018-19/sbtslto.htm
I too would like to see Craine get an assignment. But its last season's SB that matters for GP assignments.

vesperholly

I too would like to see Craine get an assignment. But its last season's SB that matters for GP assignments.
Well it's clearly not the only standard, because Gold didn't even compete in last year's GP and she has an assignment. Also, Craine got her GP last year after winning Nebelhorn. All the federations can cherry-pick.

wickedwitch

Well it's clearly not the only standard, because Gold didn't even compete in last year's GP and she has an assignment. Also, Craine got her GP last year after winning Nebelhorn. All the federations can cherry-pick.
Gold got hers based on being a "returning skater," which is a seperate standard. Also, winners of challenger series get added. And yes, feds don't follow regulations all the time. But that doesn't change the fact that according to the rules, last years scores should be used.

Erin

Banned Member
In the past, we have also seen some intermingling of current year’s SB with prior year’s, even if it is not in the rules. I’m not sure if they will do that this year given the completely different scoring this year. But even if they did, Craine’s current year SB wouldn’t place her any higher on the alternates list than where she already is.

I don’t understand why there is all this handwringing over Craine anyway. As someone already pointed out earlier, if we want to talk about spreading the wealth, Hanul Kim is higher up on the alternates list and also has no assignments, so she would be a better candidate.

Skittl1321

Eh, I’d say if Canada goes down to one spot next year, so be it. Gabby’s long term health is more important. I hope she takes whatever time she needs to feel better. If she comes back in time for Worlds, great. If not, well, I guess the rest of the ladies will have a chance to step up.

I think you missed my point. I'm not judging Gabby's decision. Obviously her long term health is the priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information