From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Zagitova will probably leave before next season, when Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaya are due to move to seniors. This season she didn’t have a reason to move out, considering that she is the only Russian senior lady left with Tutberidze, which means she will get plenty of attention. (Tutberidze will want to win over Medvedeva).

True! Then maybe she at least tries to help her with everything that is possible ...

hanca

Values her privacy
Should we start placing the bets? Ustimkina-Rogonov against Stolbova-Novoselov and against unknown senior pair that Mozer mentioned in her interview. According to Mozer they have made a very good progress within a very short time and she thinks they have a great future. They will be coached by Klimov. Game is on!

(I am curious if we see at least one of those three pairs in a competition. )

Tinami Amori

True! Then maybe she at least tries to help her with everything that is possible ...
:D Zagitova has no plans to leave. She is the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist until next Olympics and has endorsement contracts to be renewed each year while she stays competitive. This is her "play and try" year while she is getting adjusted to her new height and size.

Next year Kostornaya will turn "senior". Trusova is a question mark if she will or remain "junior" to perfect her quads while most likely staying on the podium. Scherbakova will probably stay in juniors with Valieva (2 girls for next season to cover juniors).

... and when all of the above turn "senior", there is a whole new crop, who are now winning novice and pre-novice levels.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnEQQb-DfHX/?taken-by=teamzagitova

... so instead of waiting for Big Disaster in the Eteri's camp, it would be much healthier mentally and strategically to get YOUR OWN GIRLS IN SHAPE, which ever country or club they are from.... :D

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Zagitova has no plans to leave. She is the raining Olympic Gold Medalist until next Olympics and has endorsement contracts to be renewed each year while she stays competitive.
Yeah. And Sotnikova also was the raining OGM back in 2014. And Lipnitskaya was full of hope and plans for future. But you never know what will happen..

Next year Kostornaya will turn "senior". Trusova is a question mark if she will or remain "junior" to perfect her quads while most likely staying on the podium. Scherbakova will probably stay in juniors with Valieva (2 girls for next season to cover juniors).
Why are you saying this like it’s a fact?:confused:

Am pretty sure that Trusova will move to seniors next year. If she stays healthy, she will most likely be 2-t JWC by next summer - there’s no sense in staying in juniors for one more year.
As for Kostornaia and Scherbakova - I think one of them will definetely move, while other could stay for a year. But not to “cover juniors” - just not to make the situation in seniors even more crowded.
With all these talented young ladies Russia doesn’t need to “cover juniors” anymore. There are three Panova’s girls who are competing on JGP surcuit right now, there is a bunch of new Eteri’s girls and etc. They all are hungry and ready to take their medals.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
:D Zagitova has no plans to leave. She is the raining Olympic Gold Medalist until next Olympics and has endorsement contracts to be renewed each year while she stays competitive. This is her "play and try" year while she is getting adjusted to her new height and size.

... and when all of the above turn "senior", there is a whole new crop, who are now winning novice and pre-novice levels.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnEQQb-DfHX/?taken-by=teamzagitova

... so instead of waiting for Big Disaster in the Eteri's camp, it would be much healthier mentally and strategically to get YOUR OWN GIRLS IN SHAPE, which ever country or club they are from.... :D
Zagitova has no plans to leave now. How do you know how she is going to feel in a year time, when the trio of juniors are going to be moving to seniors? I don’t believe that Trusova will be happily staying in juniors if she has any choice. And Scherbakova - doubtful! Why should they be happy with doing another year of junior worlds if they could be potentially sent to Europeans or worlds?

A year ago Medvedeva had no plans to leave either and where she is now? Or Tsurskaya....or Panenkova...

Maybe we should bet. A box of chocolate?

Tinami Amori

Yeah. And Sotnikova also was the raining OGM back in 2014. And Lipnitskaya was full of hope and plans for future. But you never know what will happen..
Sot and Lip did not have the same contracts to stay competitive. Injuries are unpredictable, true, but the intent is to stay for several years.

Why are you saying this like it’s a fact?:confused:
Nothing is a fact when it comes to athlete's plans, there are circumstances beyond their control. But there are "plans" and "strategies" and those are mentioned often in the interviews, directly and indirectly.

Am pretty sure that Trusova will move to seniors next year. If she stays healthy, she will most likely be 2-t JWC by next summer - there’s no sense in staying in juniors for one more year.
Trusova's position next year is a question mark. There are pros and cons in moving to seniors to staying in juniors.

As for Kostornaia and Scherbakova - I think one of them will definetely move, while other could stay for a year..
Kostornaya is. That is a fact.

But not to “cover juniors” - just not to make the situation in seniors even more crowded. Will all these talented young ladies Russia doesn’t need to “cover juniors” anymore. There are three Panova’s girls who are competing on JGP surcuit right now, there is a bunch of new Eteri’s girls and etc. They all are hungry and ready to take their medals.
To cover not in Russia, but in Eteri's group. That's the subject, not "whole Russia".

hanca

Values her privacy
Trusova would be silly if she stayed junior. Even if Medvedeva and Zagitova manage to stay strong, with Trusova’s TES, she has the best chance to get one of the spots to Europeans and worlds next season. (As long as she remains healthy and doesn’t have anything unforseeable or trouble with puberty.)

I am happy to bet that Trsuova is moving up next season. I am also happy to bet that in two years time at least one out of Zagitova, Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaya won’t be with Tutberidze any more. I believe most likely Zagitova, because she won’t be able to keep up, but Tutberidze definitely won’t have all four of them in seniors. Someone will leave.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought he was giving up competitive skating because of finances. If so, did he get a sponsorship or a better financial deal to continue? Is he in someone else's rink?

zebraswan

I thought he was giving up competitive skating because of finances. If so, did he get a sponsorship or a better financial deal to continue? Is he in someone else's rink?

No, he never intended to quit. Kristina retired and their money struggles were just one factor in her decision. Alexei talked about the difficulty of living in Moscow and paying for training, but he does other things to get by (coaching, shows, etc.) They are still at the same rink with Dmitriev's team, but Nodari Maisuradze does most of the work with the new pair.

Madison25

Trusova would be silly if she stayed junior. Even if Medvedeva and Zagitova manage to stay strong, with Trusova’s TES, she has the best chance to get one of the spots to Europeans and worlds next season. (As long as she remains healthy and doesn’t have anything unforseeable or trouble with puberty.)

I am happy to bet that Trsuova is moving up next season. I am also happy to bet that in two years time at least one out of Zagitova, Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaya won’t be with Tutberidze any more. I believe most likely Zagitova, because she won’t be able to keep up, but Tutberidze definitely won’t have all four of them in seniors. Someone will leave.
I predict that Kostornaya will leave first, and maybe Zagitova, but I am not so sure in her case, because maybe her parents would like to have Sabina, the little sister, trained also by Eteri .But if she has a bad 2018-2019 season as it seems now, she will leave.

Ena Grins

I predict that Kostornaya will leave first, and maybe Zagitova, but I am not so sure in her case, because maybe her parents would like to have Sabina, the little sister, trained also by Eteri .But if she has a bad 2018-2019 season as it seems now, she will leave.

You mean Alina seems likely to have a bad 2018-2019 season? I think it's too soon to say... pretty much everyone at the test skates had rough moments or missed jumps. I do have to say that her programs were by far my least favorite among the women, but I'm open to them developing as the season progresses.

hanca

Values her privacy
You mean Alina seems likely to have a bad 2018-2019 season? I think it's too soon to say... pretty much everyone at the test skates had rough moments or missed jumps. I do have to say that her programs were by far my least favorite among the women, but I'm open to them developing as the season progresses.
She may nit have a bad season, but if Trusova and Scherbakova do the quads and she won’t have any, she will be lagging behind. I know she did 3A on youtube clip, but can she do anything else? Any quads?

Tinami Amori

She may nit have a bad season, but if Trusova and Scherbakova do the quads and she won’t have any, she will be lagging behind. I know she did 3A on youtube clip, but can she do anything else? Any quads?
And moving to a new coach will not give her quads... :D nor to anyone who believes that competing with Trus and Scher requires quads. Quads are taught well at Eteri's group.

Quads are not the reasons why some girls switched to other coaches. Some preferred to be not in a constant state of competition (as per Tsurskaya, as example). Different people prefer different training environments.

hanca

Values her privacy
And moving to a new coach will not give her quads... :D nor to anyone who believes that competing with Trus and Scher requires quads. Quads are taught well at Eteri's group.

Quads are not the reasons why some girls switched to other coaches. Some preferred to be not in a constant state of competition (as per Tsurskaya, as example). Different people prefer different training environments.
Moving to a different coach wouldn’t give her quads, but may make her feel better if she doesn’t spend every practice competing with skaters who are ahead. The constant competition within the group must be extremely draining, especially if from some reason you get behind.

Tinami Amori

Moving to a different coach wouldn’t give her quads, but may make her feel better if she doesn’t spend every practice competing with skaters who are ahead. The constant competition within the group must be extremely draining, especially if from some reason you get behind.
It all depends on a person, some like to be in a state of constant challenge and competition (i am such person and know many more who prefer such environment), and some prefer a different environment. Alina is used to having Med ahead of her, and "little girls" stepping on her heels... Anything can happen.... but! it makes VERY little difference out on the ice.

If one ranks, let's say #3 against #2 and #1, it makes no difference if #1 and #2 train at your rink or another rink.... In competition it is still 1-2-3.... And! it is best to "keep your enemies close" and see what they are up to, than to "fantasize that you're #1" in your little pond, and learn that you're not when you get out of it..... :D

hanca

Values her privacy
@Tinami Amori , look, you have your opinion of what will happen and I have mine. We will have to wait a year or two and we will see who was right. I did suggest that we can make a bet, I could do with a nice bottle of red wine, but I understand that you wouldn’t want to lose! I did forecast a year ago that Tsurskaya would leave. I have to admit that I didn’t see it coming with Medvedeva, but it makes sense. Everything points towards Tutberidze not being able to have four senior girls, so in two years time there won’t be all of Trusova, Scherbakova, Kostornaya and Zagitova. At least one of them will leave. You seem to be very optimistic regarding ‘living happily ever after’ (or should I say, skating happily together day after day). The same way as you tried to persuade us that Medvedeva and Zagitova are best friends forever, but it seems that not all was happy in the paradise otherwise Medvedeva wouldn’t have left.

Tinami Amori

@Tinami Amori , look, you have your opinion of what will happen and I have mine. We will have to wait a year or two and we will see who was right.
I did suggest that we can make a bet, I could do with a nice bottle of red wine, but I understand that you wouldn’t want to lose! I did forecast a year ago that Tsurskaya would leave.

I don't make bets for "cookies and wine" and i doubt you'd take me up on my kind of bets.... lets just say that... :D

I don't recall discussing Tsur with you, last year, nor would bet on her future..... because in Summer 2017 she was giving interviews about "loosing interest in skating", and recently gave an interview about "her parents wanting her to stay with Eteri, but she herself prefers a less competitive environment, where she has her own private time/space" (in her own words).

Alina is Alina.. she is made of different material than Tsurskaya... veeeeery different material... and it is quite obvious.

The same way as you tried to persuade us that Medvedeva and Zagitova are best friends forever, but it seems that not all was happy in the paradise otherwise Medvedeva wouldn’t have left.
I did not..... :lol:but Medvedeva herself did, many many times, in many many interviews..... You're not suggesting that she is a two-faced liar, are you?

"In sports it is War! But you can't make Medvedeva and Zagitova turn against each other - they are best friends!"
https://www.sport-express.ru/olympi...ovu-ne-udastsya-possorit-oni-podrugi-1375035/

Feb 2018 - Medvedeva: There are many news out there that we "Zagitova and Medvedeva are opponents, on ice and off the ice". But in reality we are friends, we're girlfriends, we're two young girls. Yes, on ice we compete, it's sport, and sport is war, and once on ice you are on your own, and do compete, even with your own friends.

- Было много новостей о том, что Загитова и Медведева – соперницы и на льду, и вне льда. Но на самом деле мы друзья, мы девушки, мы юные девушки. А на льду мы боремся – это спорт, а спорт – это война. Когда ты выходишь на лед, ты одна, и должна бороться по-спортивному даже с твоими друзьями.

:D
Before the Olympics....
https://img.prosports.kz/news/content/ecd904bb5d6532cad7c25eb0c6080af1.jpg
https://cdn2.img.armeniasputnik.am/images/1049/67/10496789.jpg

After the Olympics....
https://cdn-st1.rtr-vesti.ru/vh/pictures/xw/153/874/1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3yQxU14.jpg

Mad for Skating

Should we start placing the bets? Ustimkina-Rogonov against Stolbova-Novoselov and against unknown senior pair that Mozer mentioned in her interview. According to Mozer they have made a very good progress within a very short time and she thinks they have a great future. They will be coached by Klimov. Game is on!

(I am curious if we see at least one of those three pairs in a competition. )

I NEED TO SEE THIS HAPPEN! The Hunger Games is on, honey!

barbarafan

Have fun with that!
We just had another JGP with Russia sweeping the pairs. If Mishina/Galliamov can manage to deliver at Russian Nationals, everyone is going to have a hard time getting on the team.

they were wonderful...I hope they enjoyed the competition in Richmond. All 3 pairs were very good.

Madison25

I don't make bets for "cookies and wine" and i doubt you'd take me up on my kind of bets.... lets just say that... :D

I don't recall discussing Tsur with you, last year, nor would bet on her future..... because in Summer 2017 she was giving interviews about "loosing interest in skating", and recently gave an interview about "her parents wanting her to stay with Eteri, but she herself prefers a less competitive environment, where she has her own private time/space" (in her own words).

Alina is Alina.. she is made of different material than Tsurskaya... veeeeery different material... and it is quite obvious.

If you asked me, Medvedeva moving opened the door for the others, especially from a mental point of view, cause she was perceived as the leader and the role-model of the group. I'm sure that Polina's decision to move was influenced by Medvedeva's move.
I don't know if Alina is so different from Polina. Yes, she is ambitious, but also unstable and doesn't benefit of the same good head on the shoulders in critical moments as Medvedeva, for example.

Madison25

Kostornaya may move also because of a strategical reason. The junior team for Worlds is unlikely to be formed by all 3 Eteri girls. And if Kostornaya is the third in Eteri's group, she may not be in the team.

barbarafan

She'll look adorable and fit right in on the streets of Paris..... http://fb.ru/misc/i/gallery/45109/2318656.jpg

but... what language will she speak, and more importantly, WHO will pay for her to live and to train there?
???? I was talking about Mishina/Galliamov at the JGP in richmond, BC, Canada. The 3 Russian pairs were all wonderful and easily swept the podium. This has nothing to do with Stolbova

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Talk about a blast from the past:

Irina Lobacheva married Ivan Tretiakov who is 16 years her junior in August: https://www.kp.ru/daily/26804/3840382/

Apparently he didn't get along too well with her and Averbukh's son at first, but somehow they managed to find a common language. Tretiakov is working as a coach in her skating school.

Congratulations to the newlyweds!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information