2018/19 Junior Grand Prix Announcement, pre-season news & discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

Some do. Others take the not unreasonable position that if you competed for those places at a test skate and won them, they're yours unless injury or some other unforeseen event takes you out of the competition, which is an attitude I have to say I prefer.

I have mixed feeling on which is the better approach.

If you skate well at the test skate and then dud out, why not give the spot to a lower placed skater who may have duded out at their test skate and was eagerly awaiting their chance.

oleada

I have to assume that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko at being subbed out; their result at the St Petersburg Cup is not promising. I imagine it will likely be Labazina/Rakhmanin or Pepeleva/Pleshkov (or Atakhanova, if she’s recovered from her injury). There’s a limited amount of JGP spots and many good Russian pairs teams. It doesn’t seem fair that K/S would go over teams that have outperformed them. K/S had a JGP last year so they do have some international experience if they make it to Junior Worlds.

Kvartalova/Sviatchenko scored 141 in St Petersburg vs Pepeleva/Pleshkov’s 158 in Linz and Labazina/Rakhmanin’s 170 in Moscow.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't think countries are allowed to add new subs after the individual JGP entry deadlines have passed. That's why USFS submits so many names as alternates for each JGP.

concorde

I don't think countries are allowed to add new subs after the individual JGP entry deadlines have passed. That's why USFS submits so many names as alternates for each JGP.

Thank you for the quick response. That is what I assumed.

There are two Novice men that I would like to see get a slot. I know that last year, USFS did give a slot to a Novice man so it there is precident.

Sylvia

TBD
There are two Novice men that I would like to see get a slot. I know that last year, USFS did give a slot to a Novice man so it there is precident.
Two Novice men (Goku Endo and Nicholas Hsieh) were assigned to a JGP last year and it was an unusual precedent. I've noticed that all the U.S. men assigned so far include 3A in both programs.

BTW, I've replied to your other JGP question in the U.S. Ladies thraad here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...what-a-novice-idea.104268/page-3#post-5406723

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Relaxing at a café in Barcelona and I'm going through protocols from the JGP. The Italian guy who is in fourth place for his triple axel he had a range from -5 all the way to plus one. These GOE are really going to confuse the heck out of me. That's a wide range.

Now that I think of it how is this even allowed by the ISU. It makes it seem well not credible.

AngieNikodinovLove

Does anyone have some skinny on the two junior ice dance teams? Looks like it will be both going into the final flight. Haven't heard of any of them but they seem to be really good.

So now in dance we have the greens and the Browns. Any other colors coming up for next season?

Sylvia

TBD
Does anyone have some skinny on the two junior ice dance teams? Looks like it will be both going into the final flight. Haven't heard of any of them but they seem to be really good.
They've both had good summer showings and have been talked about in the "U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates" thread -- the Brown siblings were just added to the ISP this summer (after the Lake Placid comp.): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.104092/page-3#post-5389652
ETA link to IDC's profile of Nguyen/Kolesnik (5th in Junior at 2018 U.S. Nationals) last year when they were new: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-avonley-nguyen-vadym-kolesnik/

ETA #2 - Oona & Gage Brown practice clip filmed by Jordan Cowan in Lake Placid: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWNzKRFJq7/?taken-by=oniceperspectives

Last edited:

wickedwitch

U.S. has been fortunate to pick up an extra men's slot in each of the first 5 JGPs (1 spot in #6 SLO).
I noticed. But if they had two less slots last season, I don't think the novice men would have gotten those spots.

I do hope they consider sending some men to junior Bs.

AngieNikodinovLove

Well that was an interesting turn of events. Looking at Kim's score in second place in comparing the two Russians who came in second place for the past two weeks Kim's score comes up higher so maybe six Russians ladies will not go through to the GPF.... who knows though .....too much time to tell

Bigbird

I don't know what to think of Arina and Maxim's RD. The premise would be off the charts cool if Arina's posture wasn't so crooked half the time. I found the young Americans very intriguing. In comparison to the Russians you could call their program exceedingly traditional and empty but their posture, attack, glide and artistry were so impressive. Could Igor have a new Sil/Pek in his rink? Let's see the FD!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Since the competition is underway, further discussion should be held in the Kiss and Cry section. It's no longer the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information