Pairs Discussion Thread 2018-19--"Two Skating as One"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Minerva Hase shared an IG photo from Robin Szolkowy's recent training camp in Engelberg, Switzerland: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTZ7_ij1Dv/?hl=en&taken-by=minerva_hase
Pictured: Hase & Nolan Seegert (GER), Lana Petrovic & Antonio Souza-Kordeiru (CRO), Elizaveta Kashitsyna & Mark Magyar (HUN), Talisa Thomalla & Robert Kunkel (GER), Martin Bidar (CZE), Lola Esbrat (FRA).

Re-posting from the Duskova/Bidar news thread in GSD:
Duskova confirmed to Amina Atakhanova in the comments of this post that her new partner is Radek Jakubka. The video clip shows them doing a death spiral.
Duskova also mentioned on her IG that she still has 5 months off the ice (as she recovers from her recent knee surgery): https://www.instagram.com/p/BlN3Epwlwob/?taken-by=aninka_duskova
Jakubka, who will be 18 in October, placed 15th at 2018 Junior Worlds with Edita Hornakova for CZE: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103357.htm

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Remind me again why Duskova/Bidar broke up in the first place? Personality difficulties; different outlooks?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Okay, thanks. Not that clear, but apparently Martin wishes to train abroad, and Anna plans to train in Prague. How's it working out for Martin securing a partner? I haven't seen that Nika Osipova (Russia) is officially confirmed for pairing with Martin.

Sylvia

TBD
It was posted in the GP Assignments thread that Yu/Zhang' names have been crossed out of Skate America (#1) & Internationaux de France (#6) as of July 9: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li.../17410-pair-skating-2018-19-all-6-events/file

Relevant excerpt from a July 9th article in English on the Chinese national team training roster:
The only surprise in the new list was the absence of another renowned pair: Yu Xiaoyu and Zhang Hao. Zhao [Hongbo] explained that this was due to the relapse and slow recovery of Yu's foot injury [before 2018 Worlds]. Substituting for the pair will be young talents Wang Yuchen and Huang Yihang.
Next in line (from 2017-18 ISU SB list) are assumed to be:

27 Stellato & Bartholomay USA - Rostelecom Cup
33 Ruest & Wolfe CAN - SCI
35 Hase & Seegert GER
40 Esbrat & Novoselov FRA - IdF
41 Lu & Mitrofanov USA
42 Walsh & Michaud CAN - SCI
43 Pfund & Santillan USA
44 Suzaki & Kihara JPN - NHK
47 Barquero & Maestu ESP

Last edited:

happycamper2554

It was posted in the GP Assignments thread that Yu/Zhang' names have been crossed out of Skate America (#1) & Internationaux de France (#6) as of July 9: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li.../17410-pair-skating-2018-19-all-6-events/file

Relevant excerpt from a July 9th article in English on the Chinese national team training roster:

Next in line (from 2017-18 ISU SB list) are assumed to be:

27 Stellato & Bartholomay USA - Rostelecom Cup
33 Ruest & Wolfe CAN - SCI
35 Hase & Seegert GER
40 Esbrat & Novoselov FRA - IdF
41 Lu & Mitrofanov USA
42 Walsh & Michaud CAN - SCI
43 Pfund & Santillan USA
44 Suzaki & Kihara JPN - NHK
47 Barquero & Maestu ESP

Would they have Stellato & Bartholomy at either? If you put them in France you have three US teams. If you put them at Skate America you have 4 US Teams including the TBD. I think they might get passed over.

Cleo1782

Would they have Stellato & Bartholomy at either? If you put them in France you have three US teams. If you put them at Skate America you have 4 US Teams including the TBD. I think they might get passed over.

Obviously, they would not have 4 spots since the USFS would give S/B the TBD. If they don't get a spot elsewhere, the US is waiting to name them. Also, why would France care about 3 US teams? It's not like we are a powerhouse in pairs. Esbrat and Novoselov run the risk of being beaten by every team on the list except Spain..This is the first wd. I am sure there are more to come........I think a US national bronze/5th place at 4cc's and skating at Worlds this year puts S/B at quite an advantage for the Skam TBD if, and only if someone else doesn't give them a spot.

RoseRed

There would be no issue with taking them at IdF - they don't care if they have 3 US pairs. However, Hase/Seegert and Barquero/Maestu train in Europe, so it'll probably be one of them.

They can't pick Stellato/Bartholomay for SA (though they will likely get that TBD if they don't get a 2nd off the replacement list). They can't pick any of the US pairs, so I bet they go for either of the Canadians, or Suzaki/Kihara because those are the ones training in North America.

Sabine-Yuna

Obviously, they would not have 4 spots since the USFS would give S/B the TBD. If they don't get a spot elsewhere, the US is waiting to name them. Also, why would France care about 3 US teams? It's not like we are a powerhouse in pairs. Esbrat and Novoselov run the risk of being beaten by every team on the list except Spain..This is the first wd. I am sure there are more to come........I think a US national bronze/5th place at 4cc's and skating at Worlds this year puts S/B at quite an advantage for the Skam TBD if, and only if someone else doesn't give them a spot.
Are Esbrat/Novoselov still skating together? If she has been on a skating camp with Martin Bidar, she might have had at least a try out with him. Or why are you not practicing with your own partner?

Cleo1782

Are Esbrat/Novoselov still skating together? If she has been on a skating camp with Martin Bidar, she might have had at least a try out with him. Or why are you not practicing with your own partner?

I haven't heard they broke up, but maybe? Or maybe he has an injury right now or something?

hanca

Values her privacy
Okay, thanks. Not that clear, but apparently Martin wishes to train abroad, and Anna plans to train in Prague. How's it working out for Martin securing a partner? I haven't seen that Nika Osipova (Russia) is officially confirmed for pairing with Martin.
She was officially confirmed by the Czech skating federation, as well as by Bidar’s instagram, but then a week later the same skating federation said that he may have to find another partner because she won’t be able to skate for the Czech Republic this coming season. I am not sure how he can find any not-Czech girl who could skate for the Czech Republic this coming season, because anyone who competed internationally less than a year ago has to sit out a year since their last competition. Osipova had problems with being released. It seems that Russia did not want to release her. And if he finds a lady that did not compete internationally within the last year, the chances are that she won’t be at his level because if she was any good, she would have competed.

hanca

Values her privacy
The gossip says that they split up. No one knows if it is true. We will have to wait and see. Saying that, Bidar has supposedly let Osipova go because she couldn’t compete for the Czech Republic this coming season. The Russian federation apparently refused to release her at this time. So I am not sure if it would make any sense to pair up with Esbrat who also can’t compete this coming season for the Czech Republic? France is not known for releasing their skaters very easily, and she has competed the last season and therefore she would have to sit out a year, so he may as well keep Osipova. In fact, I would say that Osipova would be more likely to be released by Russia than Esbrat being released by France. But it is his career, good luck to him.

hanca

Values her privacy
In fact, the gossip at the Russian forum says that Novoselov may skate with Stolbova. Again, no one knows if it is true or not.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Are Esbrat/Novoselov still skating together?
A test is being organized for French skaters in Lyon this week-end (formerly known as Summer Cup but this year it's apparently not a competition). On paper, Esbrat/Novoselov are supposed to be there. We'll see if they are... And if they aren't, maybe we'll have more information.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I just heard on this new skating podcast (In the Loop) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3n2WN86ww that Tarasova/Morosov are leaving Mozer for Maxim Trankov. Maybe this has already been discussed in Russian thread, but it's the first I've heard. Interesting. It's also said that Robin Szolkowy may work with Trankov.

Has any of this yet been confirmed?

ETA:
Okay, I see it was reported in May that Mozer is taking time off for medical reasons, and Trankov has been appointed to coach T/M in her absence:
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/trankov-appointed-tarasova-morozov-coach/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Alex Kam posted back on June 30 that he and Kyueun Kim have ended their partnership: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkqZK3Il9v3/?taken-by=alex_kambam
Excerpt:
End of a chapter... This first picture perfectly sums up our partnership over the years; no matter how tough or difficult things got, we always managed to smile through the tears and pain and overcome the obstacles that blocked our path. I'm so proud of everything that we've accomplished since the day we first teamed up two and a half years ago and i'll be forever grateful to Kyueun for always giving 110% 💖. She is a rockstar and an absolute fighter and I can't thank her enough for the sacrifices she made.
He ends by mentioning Beijing 2022 so it sounds like he will look for a new partner.

Mad for Skating

I'm so sad about Xiaoyu! Pairs is just not the same with Aliona/Bruno, Ksenia/Fedor, Meagan/Eric, Lubov/Dylan, and now Seguin/Bilodeau (who just split, *sigh*).

Well, I guess Queen Kirsten will finally get her national title this year!

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Esbrat/Novoselov are not at the French summer test :shuffle:. Not or not yet. Suspens suspens... ;)

nimi

Alex Kam posted back on June 30 that he and Kyueun Kim have ended their partnership: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkqZK3Il9v3/?taken-by=alex_kambam
(...)
He ends by mentioning Beijing 2022 so it sounds like he will look for a new partner.
Damn, another split. They were a sympathetic team and looked like they actually liked skating together. Oh well... I hope Alex finds a new partner.

After both Kim/Kim and Kim/Kam have split, are there now any S. Korean pairs in existence? I think not? Or is there some junior team I have never heard of?

barbarafan

I'm so sad about Xiaoyu! Pairs is just not the same with Aliona/Bruno, Ksenia/Fedor, Meagan/Eric, Lubov/Dylan, and now Seguin/Bilodeau (who just split, *sigh*).

Maybe...the judges love the wink...There are young teams coming up. It might be too early this year for them to overtake them. Although I have never seen Justine Brasseur and Bardai together. Will just have to wait and see. I need to get over my disappointment of Julieann and Charlie splitting. They were so good.

Mad for Skating

Maybe...the judges love the wink...There are young teams coming up. It might be too early this year for them to overtake them. Although I have never seen Justine Brasseur and Bardai together. Will just have to wait and see. I need to get over my disappointment of Julieann and Charlie splitting. They were so good.

I'm so sad! I know they still had some things to work out but I really believed they were the future of Canadian pairs...right now I am somewhat distracted by the tragedy around Denis, but I think the Seguin/Bilodeau split will sink in soon and I'll be crying.

SamuraiK

Its a shame that just when pairs finally get back the 20 teams quota at Worlds Finals the field actually takes a nosedive in quality with so many top teams not competing. Add to that CAN and CHN will only get to send 2 teams and USA only 1 and it will almost feel like an unnecessary rule change.

hanca

Values her privacy
Its a shame that just when pairs finally get back the 20 teams quota at Worlds Finals the field actually takes a nosedive in quality with so many top teams not competing. Add to that CAN and CHN will only get to send 2 teams and USA only 1 and it will almost feel like an unnecessary rule change.
I wouldn’t say it takes nose dive. It is natural after olympics that some teams leave and others step up. I don’t think the average results will be significantly worse than they were this year. Now is the best time to build reputation and grab their place in the ladder, because at this moment the ‘established order’ has been disrupted and the judges will be more willing to give the scores based on what they see on the ice rather than based on reputation.

clairecloutier

It's unfortunate, but I think you're right. Out of the top 25 teams at Worlds last year, 4 have split, 1 has possibly split (E/N), and 3 more are sitting out the year or the GP. And that's just the teams from Worlds. It seems safe to assume that the bottom half of the top 20 next year will be less competitive than it's been the last few seasons. Still, I'm sure the level of competition will build as the quad goes on.

Mad for Skating

the only thing that could save this season is the Knierims meadaling at Worlds!

wonder why

Well the rumors that he's skating with Stolbova are still going around...although Didier would never release him after what happened with Massot.

RoseRed

the only thing that could save this season is the Knierims meadaling at Worlds!

Well the rumors that he's skating with Stolbova are still going around...although Didier would never release him after what happened with Massot.
The rumour is that Abachkina is trying out with Drozd in dance, so in theory we could get something like each country gets one of the teams. But we'll have to wait and see.

Mad for Skating

The rumour is that Abachkina is trying out with Drozd in dance, so in theory we could get something like each country gets one of the teams. But we'll have to wait and see.

Really? That'd be awesome! As long as Stolbova gets to keep making magic on the ice, I don't care if she has to skate with one of the sweepers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information