2018 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, April 10-14 in Marlborough, MA

Sylvia

TBD
Official event site: https://www.usadultfigureskatingchampionships.com

http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2018/04/2018_us_adult_champs
"Icenetwork will provide on-demand video for Season Pass subscribers."

Starting orders / Results page: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2018/27463/results.html

Host club's event page: http://www.yarmouthiceclub.org/2018-us-adult-national-championships/

Age gives ice dancing duo a cool edge: http://newsok.com/age-gives-ice-dancing-duo-a-cool-edge/article/5581963

BEST WISHES to all FSUers who are competing here! :cheer: :cheer2:

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For those planning to attend, the rink info doesn't appear ANYWHERE on the Adult Nationals site. It is New England Sports Center, 121 Donald Lynch Blvd, Marlborough, MA. Access is easy from I-495 or I-290 and locals will recognize that it's near the Solomon Pond Mall.

Can't understand why USFS omitted the info from the AN main page, especially as there's another rink in Marlborough (Navin) and the host club (Yarmouth) is 100 miles away.

Sylvia

TBD
Local Massachusetts article on the area's competitors: http://www.recorder.com/Figure-skating-16750284

ETA link to USFS' press release: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91451&type=media
More than 400 skaters, between the ages of 21-85, will compete at the New England Sports Center from April 10-14, 2018.
Competitors at the U.S. Adult Championships are divided into five age groups (21-35, 36-45, 46-55, 56-65, 66+) and two tracks (masters and adults). Events are held in singles, pairs and ice dance, and in dramatic and light entertainment. Athletes qualify for championship events by placing in the top four at one of three sectional championships held in March.
This year’s championship events feature four-time reigning U.S. championship adult ice dance champions Shay Sterlace and Yovanny Durango and former Team USA athlete Matthew Blackmer in championship masters pairs with partner Carol Cooper. Team USA’s Jordan Moeller will also take the ice in adult bronze dance with partner Ashleyann Carlson.

Last edited:

Debbie S

ioana

Silver ladies non-qualifying events were on today & there were a lot of good programs on display. It's actually really nice to have large events for non-qualifying with 3 warm-up groups. Am sure it helps the LOC and makes it easier to host an event, as well. Also, we get some of the best stuffies -where else do you get lucky stone charms and mini-booze bottles?:40beers:

I managed to end with a good combo spin this time around, but music ended well before I finished my spin, so yay time deduction for me. Whoever yelled out 'keep going girl' when I changed into a backsit is my hero. I had every intention of doing just that -and doing an actual ending pose instead of ending stumble. Also, best spiral I extension I ever managed in a competitive program and decent footwork flow, so there were some good moments. Balking on my second axel was not on that list, but considering I only managed to skate twice since my last event am very happy with the program. Next year this will be a real program and I will do my coach's choregraphy justice. Promise :giggle:!

Good luck & have fun to everyone else who's competing later on this week.

ioana

I'm competing Saturday morning. I have *props*. Oy.

Coffee bribes to get help moving them around, lol! Are you doing bronze light interpretive? One of the other adult skaters from my club is in the event so I should be around to watch -and am happy to help with props, if need be:cheer:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
What’s the temperature like in rinks 1 and 2? I’m trying to figure out my layers for spectating this afternoon.

ioana

What’s the temperature like in rinks 1 and 2? I’m trying to figure out my layers for spectating this afternoon.

Seemed to be average rink temperature to me (i.e. winter jacket should be good enough), but as a disclaimer I didn't watch anything longer than one hour at a time. Upstairs area with vendors and results/start orders is nice and warm, on the plus side.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Coffee bribes to get help moving them around, lol! Are you doing bronze light interpretive? One of the other adult skaters from my club is in the event so I should be around to watch -and am happy to help with props, if need be:cheer:

Yup, that's my event.

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Moeller (latest "Inside Edge" on IN talks about him competing with an adult skater partner)
Here's Jordan's lovely quote about AN:
"It's honestly been kind of rewarding to be around a group of people you can tell just love skating so much," he said. "That's not to say the kids I compete with don't feel that way too, but we all have our agendas and sometimes we have blinders on and lose the enjoyment. The adults are very supportive and a loving group. It's been refreshing."
Congrats @ioana, have fun @GarrAarghHrumph, and enjoy watching @Aceon6!

artika

Silver ladies non-qualifying events were on today & there were a lot of good programs on display. It's actually really nice to have large events for non-qualifying with 3 warm-up groups. Am sure it helps the LOC and makes it easier to host an event, as well. Also, we get some of the best stuffies -where else do you get lucky stone charms and mini-booze bottles?:40beers:

I managed to end with a good combo spin this time around, but music ended well before I finished my spin, so yay time deduction for me. Whoever yelled out 'keep going girl' when I changed into a backsit is my hero. I had every intention of doing just that -and doing an actual ending pose instead of ending stumble. Also, best spiral I extension I ever managed in a competitive program and decent footwork flow, so there were some good moments. Balking on my second axel was not on that list, but considering I only managed to skate twice since my last event am very happy with the program. Next year this will be a real program and I will do my coach's choregraphy justice. Promise :giggle:!

Good luck & have fun to everyone else who's competing later on this week.

Sounds quite amazing!

vesperholly

I competed! I was 4th out of 6 in Pre-Gold solo dance - 2nd in the Rocker Foxtrot :D and then I had a rough 2nd outside mohawk on the Starlight Waltz, so 5th in that for 4th and the pewter medal overall. Medalling was a thrilling result for me, considering I taught myself the Starlight and had no coaching leading up to the event due to work conflicts. Plus I didn't have a pewter yet! I also competed as Super Mario in Silver II light interp and won! :cheer2:

@purple skates, @GarrAarghHrumph, @ioana , @Aceon6 what were your events?? Would have loved to meet you all but ANs is so hectic - next time.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I competed! I was 4th out of 6 in Pre-Gold solo dance - 2nd in the Rocker Foxtrot :D and then I had a rough 2nd outside mohawk on the Starlight Waltz, so 5th in that for 4th and the pewter medal overall. Medalling was a thrilling result for me, considering I taught myself the Starlight and had no coaching leading up to the event due to work conflicts. Plus I didn't have a pewter yet! I also competed as Super Mario in Silver II light interp and won! :cheer2:

@purple skates, @GarrAarghHrumph, @ioana , @Aceon6 what were your events?? Would have loved to meet you all but ANs is so hectic - next time.

Congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information