“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro

Animated Feature:
“The Boss Baby,” Tom McGrath, Ramsey Ann Naito
“The Breadwinner,” Nora Twomey, Anthony Leo
“Coco,” Lee Unkrich, Darla K. Anderson
“Ferdinand,” Carlos Saldanha
“Loving Vincent,” Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman, Sean Bobbitt, Ivan Mactaggart, Hugh Welchman

Animated Short:
“Dear Basketball,” Glen Keane, Kobe Bryant
“Garden Party,” Victor Caire, Gabriel Grapperon
“Lou,” Dave Mullins, Dana Murray
“Negative Space,” Max Porter, Ru Kuwahata
“Revolting Rhymes,” Jakob Schuh, Jan Lachauer

Adapted Screenplay:
“Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
“The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
“Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green
“Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
“Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

Original Screenplay:
“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

Cinematography:
“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
“Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel
“Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema
“Mudbound,” Rachel Morrison
“The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen

Best Documentary Feature:
“Abacus: Small Enough to Jail,” Steve James, Mark Mitten, Julie Goldman
“Faces Places,” JR, Agnès Varda, Rosalie Varda
“Icarus,” Bryan Fogel, Dan Cogan
“Last Men in Aleppo,” Feras Fayyad, Kareem Abeed, Soren Steen Jepersen
“Strong Island,” Yance Ford, Joslyn Barnes

Best Documentary Short Subject:
“Edith+Eddie,” Laura Checkoway, Thomas Lee Wright
“Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405,” Frank Stiefel
“Heroin(e),” Elaine McMillion Sheldon, Kerrin Sheldon
“Knife Skills,” Thomas Lennon
“Traffic Stop,” Kate Davis, David Heilbroner

Best Live Action Short Film:
“DeKalb Elementary,” Reed Van Dyk
“The Eleven O’Clock,” Derin Seale, Josh Lawson
“My Nephew Emmett,” Kevin Wilson, Jr.
“The Silent Child,” Chris Overton, Rachel Shenton
“Watu Wote/All of Us,” Katja Benrath, Tobias Rosen

Best Foreign Language Film:
“A Fantastic Woman” (Chile)
“The Insult” (Lebanon)
“Loveless” (Russia)
“On Body and Soul (Hungary)
“The Square” (Sweden)

Film Editing:
“Baby Driver,” Jonathan Amos, Paul Machliss
“Dunkirk,” Lee Smith
“I, Tonya,” Tatiana S. Riegel
“The Shape of Water,” Sidney Wolinsky
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Jon Gregory

Sound Editing:
“Baby Driver,” Julian Slater
“Blade Runner 2049,” Mark Mangini, Theo Green
“Dunkirk,” Alex Gibson, Richard King
“The Shape of Water,” Nathan Robitaille, Nelson Ferreira
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ren Klyce, Matthew Wood

Sound Mixing:
“Baby Driver,” Mary H. Ellis, Julian Slater, Tim Cavagin
“Blade Runner 2049,” Mac Ruth, Ron Bartlett, Doug Hephill
“Dunkirk,” Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker, Gary A. Rizzo
“The Shape of Water,” Glen Gauthier, Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Stuart Wilson, Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick

Production Design:
“Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood; Katie Spencer
“Blade Runner 2049,” Dennis Gassner, Alessandra Querzola
“Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
“Dunkirk,” Nathan Crowley, Gary Fettis
“The Shape of Water,” Paul D. Austerberry, Jeffrey A. Melvin, Shane Vieau

Original Score:
“Dunkirk,” Hans Zimmer
“Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood
“The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Carter Burwell

Original Song:
“Mighty River” from “Mudbound,” Mary J. Blige
“Mystery of Love” from “Call Me by Your Name,” Sufjan Stevens
“Remember Me” from “Coco,” Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez
“Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall,” Diane Warren, Common
“This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul

Makeup and Hair:
“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick
“Victoria and Abdul,” Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard
“Wonder,” Arjen Tuiten

Costume Design:
“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
“Darkest Hour,” Jacqueline Durran
“Phantom Thread,” Mark Bridges
“The Shape of Water,” Luis Sequeira
“Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Visual Effects:
“Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer
“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner, Dan Sudick
“Kong: Skull Island,” Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza, Mike Meinardus
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Chris Corbould, Neal Scanlon
“War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett, Joel Whist

"The Shape of Water" leads with 13 nominations.
"Dunkirk" follows with 9 nods, "Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri" with 8.
"The Darkest Hour" and "Phantom Thread" follow with 6 nomination.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Pretty much in line what I would have expected for "I, Tonya." And James Franco feels the "Norbit" effect - namely, your behavior can definitely derail your Oscar nomination or chance of winning even if you've won the other major awards running up to the big night. Also why I believe that the "I, Tonya" cast/team has toned down their rhetoric about her being a victim and aren't putting her in the spotlight anymore.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have seen all the films nominated for BP except Get Out. I don't think it has come to a theatre here. I liked Dunkirk, Shape of water, The Post, Call me by your name, and Phantom thread. Somewhat liked Three billboards, but not enough to pick it for a win. Also somewhat liked Lady Bird but found it trite.

Very happy to see Lesley Manville get nominated for supporting actress for Phantom Thread. She is the caring but controlling sister. She could have been easily forgotten among the hoopla about devious mothers in two other nominated movies. I wouldn't mind it if she pulls off an upset.

IMO Michelle Williams not getting nominated for All the money in the world is a travesty. This is her best performance ever. In another year Vicky Krieps could have been nominated for lead actress (Phantom thread). She held her own, opposite the legendary Daniel Day Lewis.

I am disappointed that I, Tonya is getting so much love. The movie is artistically 'cheap' - appealing to crude taste of the audience. Disappointed to see that Margot Robbie's nomination may have cost Michelle W. Hers. I know the Meryl haters here will blame her instead, but Streep was brilliant in a nuanced performance that showed how a woman without much confidence grew into a major decision maker. Sorry to see that Tom Hanks and James Franco didn't get nominated.

Oscar got plenty of diversity this year.

Very happy with the original score nominations. Dunkirk and The shape of water were brilliant. Either of them will make a worthy Oscar winner.

Happy to see Call me by your name get so many nominations. Timothee Chalamet fully deserves his. I wish Armie Hammer had been nominated for the supporting role.

Happy about the cinematography nominations. I hated the movie Darkest Hour but the camera work was brilliant.

I stand by my earlier opinions of Lady Bird and I, Tonya. Both were just ok (Lady Bird more on the Good side) but overrated movies.

More later.

peibeck

Simply looking
Oscar nominations closed just two days after the allegations about James Franco came out, so it's difficult to gauge how much those hurt his chances for a nomination and how much of it was apathy for the movie which despite a lot of critical love ended up with only a writing nomination, where's it not highly likely to win.

The 6 nominations for "Phantom Thread" which has been virtually ignored by many of the early precursor lauds and tech guilds is the biggest surprise for me (outside of actor).

"The Post" ending up with just 2 nominations is somewhat of a surprise as well, including John Williams getting a nod for "Star Wars" instead of "The Post" for score.

Last edited:

VGThuy

This year seems more obvious that different branches came up with the nominees for their respective categories. Disappointed that Call Me By Your Name didn’t get more nominations and that Hong Chau was snubbed. I think Mudbound’s success here is a turning point for Netflix.

Extremely happy that Peele and Gerwig got in for Director especially over Three Billboards which seems to have a lot of love from the actors.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

I think Franco may have lost him nomination to Denzel, whose nomination surprised me. His movie about the lawyer seemed to sink quickly without a trace.

Vash01 - Get Out is on HBO right now and you can get it on demand. Don't know if that helps, but it's definitely worth seeing. Wild and total fiction, but very unsettling in this day age from the racial angle.

ETA: Regarding Phantom Thread for those of you who have not seen it yet: It's wonderful, but long and moves at such an absolutely glacial pace, it can get a little exasperating. That said, it's also DELICIOUSLY macabre (sorry, no spoilers). I have not seen Lady Bird and Metcalfe's performance yet, but I would have a hard time selecting either one of Janney or Manville over the other. I could see an upset here.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think Franco may have lost him nomination to Denzel, whose nomination surprised me. His movie about the lawyer seemed to sink quickly without a trace.

Vash01 - Get Out is on HBO right now and you can get it on demand. Don't know if that helps, but it's definitely worth seeing. Wild and total fiction, but very unsettling in this day age from the racial angle.

Regarding Phantom Thread if you plan to see it: It's wonderful, but long and moves at such an absolutely glacial pace, it can get a little exasperating. That said, it's also DELICIOUSLY macabre (sorry, no spoilers). I have not seen Lady Bird and Metcalfe's performance yet, but I would have a hard time selecting either one of Janney or Manville over the other. I could see an upset here.

Deleted post

Last edited:

Yazmeen

If you read my post, I have seen Phantom thread and even posted a review in the movies thread, and even commented on it in This thread, so no need to tell me to go see it. Your comment is really rude. At least read someone's post before commenting on it.
If you read my post, I have seen Phantom thread and even posted a review in the movies thread, and even commented on it in This thread, so no need to tell me to go see it. Your comment is really rude. At least read someone's post before commenting on it.

Vash, this is a misunderstanding, but I will edit that - that comment wasn't meant for you, it was meant for everyone else who HAD NOT seen Phantom Thread. That's why I put it in a separate paragraph from the one directed to you about "Get Out." I will clarify.

I did read your post - totally. I was honestly just trying to be helpful about a source for "Get Out" if you had access to HBO.

jenny12

Yay for Peele and Gerwig!!!! I loved Get Out. I enjoyed Lady Bird as well but wasn’t quite as enamored with it as others were but just glad to see some diversity in the Best Director nominees.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Vash, this is a misunderstanding, but I will edit that - that comment wasn't meant for you, it was meant for everyone else who HAD NOT seen Phantom Thread. That's why I put it in a separate paragraph from the one directed to you about "Get Out." I will clarify.

I did read your post - totally. I was honestly just trying to be helpful about a source for "Get Out" if you had access to HBO.

I don't have HBO but thanks for the info.

VGThuy

One thing that hurts me from truly connecting with Get Out is that I feel like it's a holdover from the Obama administration and how some were criticizing the superficial progressiveness we had in this country. Now it seems a bit out of place considering how far backwards we've gone as a country, but then maybe the film can be seen as a sort of explanation of how pre-November 2016 USA became post-November 2016 USA and that all of this was already boiling under the surface. Also, that comedic TSA character just didn't land with me and felt like a holdover from a Key and Peele skit.

VGThuy

I really wish there were like no big award shows before the Oscars. I think that's really undercutting the excitement since it's like the 10th televised awards body to announce its nominations. I'm fine with critics circles announcing their winners and the indie awards doing their thing because they don't always align with the Oscars and they do their own thing.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I kind of wish Wonder Woman had a chance of scoring something for nominations but I'm not surprised it didn't. Seeing Logan get an Adapted Screenplay nod was a very pleasant surprise though.

I love that there's finally a woman nominated for Cinematography. Which reminds me that I really need to add Mudbound to my list on Netflix so I don't keep forgetting to watch it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Dunkerque ??? Really ???? That movie is a bore !!!!

To each his/her own.

When I saw Dunkirk, it was in IMAX. I don't know if that influenced me, but I thought it was the best movie of the year until the recent movies came out in December. I liked the creativity in telling three different stories happening at the same time. I loved the music- it really added to the movie. The cinematography was wonderful. The historical significance was important and the narrative was 100 percent better than in Darkest Hour. In addition, I liked it that there was no lead actor. Everything was about what was happening on the beach, in the water, in the air, and on the boat.

For me, the Director award is a tie between Nolan (Dunkirk). and Del Toro (Shape of water). I think the actual Oscar will go to Del Toro, for his emotional tale of a mute woman and .....

Cachoo

Remember way back last century when Lesley Manville and Gary Oldman were wife and husband? I think these two have been overlooked by Oscar a number of times (especially Oldman) and now here they are, no longer married, but getting the recognition they deserve. And it looks like this might be a win for Oldman. I'm a fan of both and very happy to see them nominated.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Remember way back last century when Lesley Manville and Gary Oldman were wife and husband? I think these two have been overlooked by Oscar a number of times (especially Oldman) and now here they are, no longer married, but getting the recognition they deserve. And it looks like this might be a win for Oldman. I'm a fan of both and very happy to see them nominated.

I didn't know that they were husband-wife. I had never even heard of Lesley Manville until I saw Phantom Thread. I am sure that Oldman will win the best actor. Oscar loves to give the award to someone who portrayed a real life famous person. I have some reservations about Oldman's performance in Darkest Hour, but he is going to win it, for sure.

I thought Woody Harrelson was good as LBJ but the movie failed so much that there was no hope for him to get nominated. He did get nominated for his supporting role in Three Billboards (I hate very long titles for movies), but I would have preferred to see Armie Hammer get that nomination.

Cachoo

I didn't know that they were husband-wife. I had never even heard of Lesley Manville until I saw Phantom Thread. I am sure that Oldman will win the best actor. Oscar loves to give the award to someone who portrayed a real life famous person. I have some reservations about Oldman's performance in Darkest Hour, but he is going to win it, for sure.

I thought Woody Harrelson was good as LBJ but the movie failed so much that there was no hope for him to get nominated. He did get nominated for his supporting role in Three Billboards (I hate very long titles for movies), but I would have preferred to see Armie Hammer get that nomination.

I am a fan of the director Mike Leigh and his films and Manville is one of his go-to actors for his films. She is unknown here but I'm glad BAFTA and other Brit awards recognize her. I think Woody is overdue for an award too. He has been doing wonderful work for years. It does sound like the acting awards might not be a surprise if it goes Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell and Janney as it has much of the season. But I'm sure one day Woody will get his statue.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really wish there were like no big award shows before the Oscars. I think that's really undercutting the excitement since it's like the 10th televised awards body to announce its nominations. I'm fine with critics circles announcing their winners and the indie awards doing their thing because they don't always align with the Oscars and they do their own thing.

ITA with this. All these earlier award shows dilute the impact of the Oscars. At times I wonder if they influence each other? They seem to influence the Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information