2018 Olympics Team Event Qualification

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I agree the wording doesn't make much sense, but neither does the scoring of the LP in the team event (SP having much more weight).

Since it would most likely be a case of South Korea vs. Australia for that 10th and final spot, I'm highly doubting the ISU will even think twice about switching up the wording so that Australia can get those additional points lost at Worlds.

greenapple

If it were any other team than that from the host country I think Australia would be in...but it will probably go to South Korea. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
For championships:

Junior WC championship points only count if there are no senior championship points.

Euros points only count if there are no Worlds points, ie, a skater/team who makes the free.

For the GP,

One event's JGP points only count if there are no GP/GPF points from one event.

JGPF points don't count at all.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What if Team AUS medals at JGPF? Would that help?

Nope, JGPF doesn't count.

Do Challenger Series points count?

I wish, we'd be in a great place if they did. But they don't.

Since it would most likely be a case of South Korea vs. Australia for that 10th and final spot, I'm highly doubting the ISU will even think twice about switching up the wording so that Australia can get those additional points lost at Worlds.

I'm pretty sure it's actually us vs Israel, with South Korea ahead of Israel and somewhat out of our reach. But we're only something like 42 points behind Israel.

Erin

Banned Member
Taking a break from the Australia discussion, I am excited that South Korea is looking good to make the team event. I like that the home team will be able to be part of the event, especially since it's clearly something that they have desired. Also, given the increased interest in the sport in South Korea post-Yuna and additional tour opportunities, I think that anything that gives the sport additional exposure there is a good thing.

A.H.Black

As host nation (city), doesn't South Korea get an entry anyway? Has someone already addressed this?

Last edited:

RoseRed

As host nation (city), doesn't South Korea get an entry anyway? Has someone already addressed this?
I believe it says that they can get entries into individual disciplines they don't qualify for, provided there are enough additional entries left from the quota of 10. They still have to qualify for the team event. The host spots can't help them for that.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm pretty sure it's actually us vs Israel, with South Korea ahead of Israel and somewhat out of our reach. But we're only something like 42 points behind Israel.

If T/T place high enough this weekend (and aren't the team that has withdrawn) mixed with a potential for Bychenko or Samohin to earn points, I believe they have a pretty good shot at passing South Korea for 9th place..

Debbie S

T/T have withdrawn, so I wonder what that means for Team Israel's chances. Hopefully, they can compete at SA.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The final determination isn't until December, after GPF, but:
  • There will be no one in GPF from a member who won't qualify (ie, RUS, CAN, USA, CHN, ITA, FRA, GER).
  • There are no Ladies still competing or in the current Top Six in GP standings who aren't from these countries.
  • The only GPF alternates are Fernandez (2nd) and Ge (3rd), and ESP and UZB haven't qualified three disciplines and aren't eligible, and neither ESP or UZB have skaters on the alternates list for the missing discipline(s).
so GPF results might jostle the standings with incremental points, but they won't make a difference in the teams that qualify.

Hence, the Top 11 qualifying countries on this invaluable list, minus Spain, won't change:

• CAN
  • RUS
  • USA
  • CHN
  • JPN
  • ITA
  • FRA
  • GER
  • ISR -- can use the quota to qualify a Ladies skater for TE.
  • KOR*
*If I understand the documentation correctly, because Korea qualified for the TE on its own by qualifying three disciplines (Ladies in Helsinki, Men and Dance in Nebelhorn), they can appoint a Pair through the quota for the TE, and a Pair as a host entry in the individual event, since there will be plenty of non-used quota spaces.

BaileyCatts

Rules question: For a country that will already have a fully loaded team to choose from (like RUS or CAN) are you "required" to sub out 2 skaters between Short and Long, or is it "optional" to sub out up to 2 skaters for the Long?

Debbie S

You can sub entries in up to 2 events, but it is not required. In Sochi, the U.S. subbed in men and ladies (Jeremy/Jason and Ashley/Gracie) and used 1 pairs team and 1 dance team.

Vagabond

Hang on to those green and gold streamers.

Olympic Doping Diaries: Chemist’s Notes Bolster Case Against Russia

Olympic officials will announce their decision on Dec. 5. If they do not bar Russia completely from the coming Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, they are likely to keep all Russian emblems out of the Games: The Russian flag would not fly at the opening and closing ceremonies, Russian athletes would compete in neutral uniforms and the Russian anthem would not be played.

I'm not sure how Russian skaters could compete in the Team Event if this happens. From what I can tell, if Russia isn't banned, its athletes would be considered Authorised Neutral Athletes (ANA). When Russians competed as Authorised Neutral Athletes at the 2017 World Championships in Athletics, they did not, and apparently could not, participate in any team events.

Such restrictions, Russian officials have said, would be tantamount to an outright ban, and Russia would consider boycotting the 2018 Olympics.
What would that mean? Would they try to stop ANA from competing as ANA? And would Russia stop ANA from competing at Worlds?

:watch:

Bellanca

It seems like a game of chicken right now. Putin is flexing his muscles while the IOC is tucked away in a room somewhere. Family members over in Russia suggest Putin would put the brakes on if he had to, but he really does not want to because of the obvious - so many promising athletes w/ huge Oly potential. A second team gold medal is coveted, important. So...

Sylvia

TBD
Team event qualification final standings as published by the ISU at the conclusion of the GP Final: https://twitter.com/pandaatlarge/status/939478911192219650

Canada 6084 points
Russia 5924 --> as OAR? (details still to be worked out, according to today's NBC broadcast of GPF)
USA 5055
Japan 4345
China 4231
Italy 3801
France 3652
Germany 2806
Spain 1858 (only qualified in 2 disciplines)
Israel 1521
South Korea 1397
---
Australia 1320
Kazakhstan 1217 (only qualified in 2 disciplines)
Ukraine 1124
Great Britain 1123 (document doesn't state why)
Czech Republic 1069

Last edited:

vesperholly

If only Kailani and Brendan had scored some points in their GP events...
A/W would have gotten 500 points from winning Junior Worlds, but by competing at Senior Worlds (16th, 247 points) or even 4CC (11th, 293 points) that supplants the JW result, so they only got 247 points toward the total. And they got points for winning their JGP events, but 0 for winning the JGPF. Bizarre rules.

Marco

A/W would have gotten 500 points from winning Junior Worlds, but by competing at Senior Worlds (16th, 247 points) or even 4CC (11th, 293 points) that supplants the JW result, so they only got 247 points toward the total. And they got points for winning their JGP events, but 0 for winning the JGPF. Bizarre rules.

Absurd, but thanks for the info

Chemistry66

Team event qualification final standings as published by the ISU at the conclusion of the GP Final: https://twitter.com/pandaatlarge/status/939478911192219650

Canada 6084 points
Russia 5924 --> as OAR? (details still to be worked out, according to today's NBC broadcast of GPF)
USA 5055
Japan 4345
China 4231
Italy 3801
France 3652
Germany 2806
Spain 1858 (only qualified in 2 disciplines)
Israel 1521
South Korea 1397
---
Australia 1320
Kazakhstan 1217 (only qualified in 2 disciplines)
Ukraine 1124
Great Britain 1123 (document doesn't state why)
Czech Republic 1069

Great Britain only has 1 entry (Ice Dance, presumably going to Coomes/Buckland) in Pyeongchang which is why they're crossed out. Right now they're the 3rd alternate in Men's, 11th in Ladies, and 3rd/4th in Pairs (depending on what's going down with the NK team). Even if Russia doesn't compete, they'd only gain one entry at most (Pairs, assuming Japan's taking North Korea's spot).

The interesting conundrum will be Spain. If Russia doesn't compete (even as OAR) and their spots are reallocated, Spain is 2nd/3rd alternate in Pairs (2nd assuming Japan officially takes NK's spot). If they get that spot, they'd technically have the 3 required disciplines. The issue is that Team Event teams were to be officially informed by December 10th, to respond within 24 hours of notification to accept the spot. Alternates (for Team and Individual spots) will be informed from December 13th-21st, again to be confirmed within 24 hours by the NOC. If Spain ends up getting the Pairs spot off the alternates list, they'd become eligible for the Team Event, which means Australia still wouldn't get in.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The interesting conundrum will be Spain. If Russia doesn't compete (even as OAR) and their spots are reallocated, Spain is 2nd/3rd alternate in Pairs (2nd assuming Japan officially takes NK's spot). If they get that spot, they'd technically have the 3 required disciplines. The issue is that Team Event teams were to be officially informed by December 10th, to respond within 24 hours of notification to accept the spot. Alternates (for Team and Individual spots) will be informed from December 13th-21st, again to be confirmed within 24 hours by the NOC. If Spain ends up getting the Pairs spot off the alternates list, they'd become eligible for the Team Event, which means Australia still wouldn't get in.

If this happens, I will be extremely pissed.

clairecloutier

Spain was not listed as an official alternate in pairs after Nebelhorn. Only JPN and BLR were listed officially as alternates. I don’t know what that means or doesn’t for Spain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information