Revisiting the first Grand Prix Final (1995/1996 Season)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The basics:

The first Grand Prix Final, then known as the Champions Series, was held in Paris.

- There were only five regular-season events in the fall of 1995. USA, Canada, France, Germany, and Japan. Cup of Russia was added the following season as a sixth event, and the German Nations/Sparkassen Cup lasted through the 2002/2003 season. It was then moved to Cup of China.
- Only four pairs and four dance teams qualified and competed. Six men and six ladies, as it is today, also qualified.
- There were seven ladies qualifiers to the event because there was no tie-break past final placements in this first season, so Slutskaya and Markova finished with the same results (3rd and 4th place finishes) and there was no way to break the tie. Surya Bonaly also finished with those same results, but I forget the reasoning of why she was below them in the overall rankings and out of the Final.

There was an event in Russia called the Centennial on Ice I believe just one week or two before this event, and many skaters who competed there also qualified to this event. VERY different results, though. Ilia Kulik won the mens event and Alexei Yagudin beat out Alexei Urmanov for 2nd place. Irina Slutskaya won the ladies event over Maria Butyrskaya and Michelle Kwan, marking the only loss for Kwan the entire season.

The Men
Alexei Urmanov, Elvis Stojko, Eric Millot, Ilia Kulik, Todd Eldredge, Vyacheslav Zagorodniuk

Urmanov won over Elvis Stojko with a solid but not outstanding free skate. Note the amount of jumps all awkwardly clumped together towards the end. Stojko landed a 4T+2T early in his program and Dorothy Hamill couldn't contain her excitement because quads weren't really a thing back then, let alone in combination with a 2T ;) but made some sloppy errors at the end of his program. Millot was able to win the bronze medal at home even though he couldn't land a 3A in the free skate, wiping out on both attempts. Kulik had a solid skate with a few small errors and Eldredge looked uncharacteristically off on almost every jump attempt. Those two would obviously have their fortunes completely changed a few weeks later at Worlds where Eldredge won and Kulik placed a close second.

Millot's program, by the way, is so similar to that of Samuel Contesti's free skate in the 2009 season. I think he was extremely lucky to finish on the podium-- but in the (almost) words of Carol Lane, "It's France."

Check out the long pause in Stojko's short program. This was among his better programs, though, and I guess you could say similar in theme to Yagudin's Racing short.

The Ladies
Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Josee Chouinard, Lu Chen, Hanae Yokoya, Olga Markova, Maria Butyrskaya

Kwan fell on her 3T in the short program and found herself in 4th place, while Lu Chen led the way. In the free skate, Michelle landed 6 of her 7 triples, including the 3T+3T that she wasn't able to complete at Worlds, but doubled her final Lutz. Several of her triples looked tight in this performance, though. After a great short, Chen fell on her first Lutz, singled the loop and the second Lutz, and doubled the Salchow. She fell all the way to 5th in the long and off the podium overall. Slutskaya won the silver medal, getting past the first Lutz that she'd wipe out on spectacularly at Worlds. Josee Chouinard returned to amateur competition this season after a year on the pro scene and won the bronze, but had already lost the Canadian National title to Jennifer Robinson after a disastrous skate and was not named to the World team. She'd end up turning pro again, with a lot of success in the following seasons. Robinson, who got to skate in Canada at her first Worlds, finished 21st. Butyrskaya had a wonderful start to her free skate but a big error towards the end ruined the mood (and the scores) for her program.

The Pairs
Shishkova/Naumov, Eltsova/Bushkov, Wotzel/Steuer, Meno/Sand

Meno/Sand were first alternates but replaced Berezhnaya/Shliakhov because of the side-by-side spin training accident that Bereznhaya suffered in January. Peter Carruthers commented that he had just seem Elena in the weeks prior to this event and she was still re-learning basic motor skills.

The competition, aside from Shishkova/Naumov's short and a clip of their free skate, wasn't shown in the United States, but they easily won the title. They then suffered one of the oddest set of ordinal splits in the history of the sport at Worlds, earning four 1st places in the free skate, one 3rd place, and four 4th place votes. That resulted in being one vote away from the gold medal, but finishing in 4th place overall behind all three of the other teams who competed here. Suspicious. :sekret:

The Dance
Grishuk/Platov, Krylova/Ovsyannikov, Anissina/Peizerat, Bourne/Kraatz

The teams that would finish in the same order at the 1998 Olympics, Grishuk/Platov easily won the title here over their teammates. Anissina/Peizerat won the bronze over Bourne/Kraatz even though they'd finish behind them at Worlds in '96 and '97.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Thanks for the great recap! Haven't revisited this competition in years!

A few very random observations:

I've always had a soft spot for this LP for Zagorodniuk, even though I feel like he had it forever. The costume is gorgeous and so ornate and rich, looks like it cost a fortune. He pulls it off.

Olga Markova's "new costume" for Miss Saigon: gold with little black balls dangling off the sleeves and a "skirt" composed of about 15 long black strings. :lol: Stunning and underrated transtions, as always.

Butyrskaya was pogosplatting 20 years before it was popular. :drama: The 2axel fall (and recovery afterwards) is identical to some of the falls we've seen Pogorilaya take the past few years.

I still think Taj Mahal is the best thing Kwan ever did.

Chouinard's LP was really nice, but those technical marks were, errmm, generous to say the least.

The most interesting thing about Grishuk/Platov's FD is the one comment on the youtube video, clearly left by a former member of the Pasha brigade... :scream:

Last edited:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
The most interesting thing about Grishuk/Platov's FD is the one comment on the youtube video, clearly left by a former member of the Pasha brigade... :scream:
This is amazing and deserves to be quoted here in its entirety:

Oksana Grishuk is an intelligent and knowledge skater. Her skating is captivatingly artistic, technique brilliant and spontaneous. Her artistic plasticity and correct sense of style enable her to be natural in any of her performances. However, her artistic individuality is revealed to the greatest effect in modern-classic, she has a great affinity for classic’s lift intellectualism and romantic’s penetrating passion. Her intellectual analysis of the material is aimed at discovering the logic of emotional movement, her passion never gets out-it is subjected to the requirements of intellectual discipline. Her nobly poised manner rather than restrain her temperament and inner expressively enhances it’s dramatic intensity.

Someday I aspire to write a passage of text as evocative, stunning, and passionate as that.

Marco

I believe the timing of this first GPF was way after NA Nationals and Euros. Somehow I feel this timing provides a better sizing up opportunity for skaters heading into Worlds. Otherwise skaters really have no more comps between late Dec / Jan Nationals or Jan Euros and Worlds in late March / Apr.

Alternatively, having GPF just 2 weeks after the last event seems quick fast and serves as more of a mid season sizing up instead of a pre-Worlds sizing up.

Dobre

I believe the timing of this first GPF was way after NA Nationals and Euros. Somehow I feel this timing provides a better sizing up opportunity for skaters heading into Worlds. Otherwise skaters really have no more comps between late Dec / Jan Nationals or Jan Euros and Worlds in late March / Apr.

February 4CCs.

Marco

Well there were no 4CCs then and it doesn't include Euro skaters anyways.

Would it be better if the schedules goes:

Sep - Nov: Challengers
Oct mid - Nov end: GPs
Dec end - Jan mid: Nationals
Feb mid - Euros / 4CCs
early Mar: GPF
Apr: Worlds

Or perhaps swap the GPF and Euros / 4CCs order since sometimes countries may want to use GPF results to factor into Euros / 4CCs team

SamuraiK

Well there were no 4CCs then and it doesn't include Euro skaters anyways.

Would it be better if the schedules goes:

Sep - Nov: Challengers
Oct mid - Nov end: GPs
Dec end - Jan mid: Nationals
Feb mid - Euros / 4CCs
early Mar: GPF
Apr: Worlds

Or perhaps swap the GPF and Euros / 4CCs order since sometimes countries may want to use GPF results to factor into Euros / 4CCs team

With that schedule I could see lots of repeat of the Chouinard situation, meaning a skater misses the worlds spot at Nationals but still medals at GPF and then the fans go crazy. If this schedule were in place this year I couldd see it happening to Satoko for instance. So its better to save ourselves the drama :)

jenniferlyon

With that schedule I could see lots of repeat of the Chouinard situation, meaning a skater misses the worlds spot at Nationals but still medals at GPF and then the fans go crazy. If this schedule were in place this year I couldd see it happening to Satoko for instance. So its better to save ourselves the drama :)

But it's figure skating. We LIKE drama! Don't we?

tony

I've always had a soft spot for this LP for Zagorodniuk, even though I feel like he had it forever. The costume is gorgeous and so ornate and rich, looks like it cost a fortune. He pulls it off.

I think he only had it for this one season, no? He used the same LP to Battle on the Ice @ '97 Worlds, '98 Olympics/Worlds. Either way, I always enjoyed his skating and liked this program as well.

Butyrskaya was pogosplatting 20 years before it was popular. :drama: The 2axel fall (and recovery afterwards) is identical to some of the falls we've seen Pogorilaya take the past few years.

The odd thing is that looks like she actually landed the jump just fine. My theory is that she was desperately trying to get a combination in (a typical problem for Maria back in the 90's) and she tried to push too quickly into the second part, shifting all of her body weight forward and causing that body slam-type of fall. But she got up and stared right at the judges with a :D

I still think Taj Mahal is the best thing Kwan ever did.

You mean Salome, or you mean after viewing this program again that you're sticking with 1997 being her best?

I agree. I think the Grand Prix Final should be held before the 'major' internationals/Nationals as a type of mid-season championship, but I think that two weeks after the final event is too soon. But it's an Olympic season and they can't cram anything more than they already do unless they start the season a month early every four years. (ETA- then again, for many seasons the top skaters in the world were doing 3 events in the regular Grand Prix circuit and the Final all relatively close together).

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Looking back at Olga Markova, her actual skating ability was really good. Too bad at the time, I could never get past the campy costuming and choreography to see that.

gk_891

I feel that Grishuk & Platov were physically at their best that season. I remember at Worlds, their compulsories looked even sharper than usual. But their material that year was some of their worst. Parting ways with Linichuk & Karponosov after that season was probably the best thing for them.

tony

Looking back at Olga Markova, her actual skating ability was really good. Too bad at the time, I could never get past the campy costuming and choreography to see that.

Whoever was helping choreograph or package her was still stuck in the late 80's, I think. But the next season, sporting the same costume, she had a really fantastic Bolero short program.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
I remember being freaked out that Michelle Kwan received a death threat at this competition.
Fun to look back at this competition, thanks Tony.

VGThuy

I prefer the scheduling as it is now. I like that the Grand Prix are in one block and then we have the Nationals, continental championships, and Worlds in another block. To me that makes the most sense and I don’t mind the month or so break in-between Euros/4CC and Worlds.

Seerek

Slightly off topic, but for most of the other winter sports, their version of the Grand Prix (referred to as World Cup) Final takes place after their World Championships (if there is one held that year).

As for Skate Canada, they could have in theory made some kind of backdoor berth to Worlds for Josee Chouinard with a medal finish at this event.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

As for Skate Canada, they could have in theory made some kind of backdoor berth to Worlds for Josee Chouinard with a medal finish at this event.

I am thinking that kind of scenario prompted the CFSA and the USFSA to introduce the 'body of work' principle to choosing their world teams.

In the lead up to the Canadian Championships, Chouinard's results on the Grand Prix circuit (1st at Trophee Eric Bompard, 3rd and Skate Canada, and 3rd at the Final) were much stronger placements than Robinson (7th at NHK and 10th at Skate Canada).

tony

I am thinking that kind of scenario prompted the CFSA and the USFSA to introduce the 'body of work' principle to choosing their world teams.

In the lead up to the Canadian Championships, Chouinard's results on the Grand Prix circuit (1st at Trophee Eric Bompard, 3rd and Skate Canada, and 3rd at the Final) were much stronger placements than Robinson (7th at NHK and 10th at Skate Canada).

I think 'body of work' just became a way for them to get what they want without having to follow any rules consistently. Annie Bellemare was sent to Worlds over Nicole Watt in 2001 after she finished behind her at Nationals but ahead of her at Four Continents. But then you have the Jeff Buttle vs. Ben Ferreira case in 2004- Buttle fell apart in the long program at Nationals and finished in third behind Ferreira, but then beat both National Champion (and Grand Prix Final winner) Emanuel Sandhu for the gold at Four Continents and Ferreira was a distant 7th. Ferreira still was sent to Worlds over Buttle. Jeff had also finished 1st and 2nd in his Grand Prix appearances that season.

Same with the USA in the last few years. Jeremy Abbott finishes 4th at Nationals in 2011 after finishing 2nd and 3rd in his Grand Prix events, but he is left off the World team in favor of Ryan Bradley, Richard Dornbush, and Ross Miner. Same thing in 2013 with Abbott- falls off the World team with a poor free skate at Nationals and is passed over for two others skaters, although his track record that season wasn't particularly dazzling. Then comes 2014 with the ladies and we all know what happened there.

tony

Oh and I forgot all about 2012. Cynthia Phaneuf lost the National title to Amelie Lacoste, and SC very obviously wanted to give Phaneuf another chance at going to Worlds so they made Four Continents the deciding factor. Lacoste beat Phaneuf there by 0.18 and was sent to Worlds, although I'm sure Skate Canada was still trying to figure out a way to get Cynthia to the event.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think 'body of work' just became a way for them to get what they want, not having to follow any rules consistently. Annie Bellemare was sent to Worlds over Nicole Watt in 2001 after she finished behind her at Nationals but ahead of her at Four Continents. But then you have the Jeff Buttle vs. Ben Ferreira case in 2004- Buttle fell apart in the long program at Nationals and finished in third behind Ferreira, but then beat both National Champion (and Grand Prix Final winner) Emanuel Sandhu for the gold at Four Continents and Ferreira was a distant 7th. Ferreira still was sent to Worlds over Buttle. Jeff had also finished 1st and 2nd in his Grand Prix appearances that season.

Same with the USA in the last few years. Jeremy Abbott finishes 4th at Nationals in 2011 after finishing 2nd and 3rd in his Grand Prix events, but he is left off the World team in favor of Ryan Bradley, Richard Dornbush, and Ross Miner. Same thing in 2013 with Abbott- falls off the World team with a poor free skate at Nationals and is passed over for two others skaters, although his track record that season wasn't particularly dazzling. Then comes 2014 with the ladies and we all know what happened there.

Agreed.

Buttle really got the sharp end of the stick in 2004. From memory, he had to withdraw from the Grand Prix Final due to food poisoning. It really zapped him of so much energy at Nationals, I am amazed he and his team didn't think of withdrawing, and being considered for worlds using a medical bye.

I remember how close Evan Lysacek was to not even making the 2009 Four Continents and World Team in Cleveland, placing only 4th in the free skate behind Abbott, Mroz and Bradley, and third overall. Johnny Weir was even less lucky, having placed third at the 2008 World Championships, but he too was sick, and only placed fifth in Ohio.

There's a bit of a back story to Evan's poor free skating performance at Nationals that year. I actually overheard in a food court adjacent to the Q Arena, that a couple of the skaters pranked him, resetting Lysacek's hotel room alarm clock, and making him believe he'd missed the men's free skate altogether.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Oh and I forgot all about 2012. Cynthia Phaneuf lost the National title to Amelie Lacoste, and SC very obviously wanted to give Phaneuf another chance at going to Worlds so they made Four Continents the deciding factor. Lacoste beat Phaneuf there by 0.18 and was sent to Worlds, although I'm sure Skate Canada was still trying to figure out a way to get Cynthia to the event.

That was crazy. Lacoste kept rising from the dead, and given that she met all of the requirements, there was really no way Skate Canada could find a way around it.

Cynthia really should have won bronze at the 2010 Worlds over Lepisto, I guess. But that's a discussion for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information