Music you have been waiting for to be used for an entirely too long time

Taso

Yeah, there's always that song you hear that you feel would work for a skating program. And then there's those programs in your heard where you wonder "When is this ever, ever going to get created?"

For starts, now that you can use vocals in singles skating, which ladies skater is going to finally step up and be "The Queen of the Night" for a short program?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVV9jShEzU

I kinda figured 20 years someone would at least do it for a pro program. Bonaly could've done it - her skating could handle that kind of power and play. Out of the current crop I could see Pogorilaya being able to pull it off....actually that would be fantastic (and so unlikely)

So what are your programs that you're like "Seriously, it's been a long time, when is this one going to get done?"

What are yours?

Spun Silver

Wow, I would never have thought of a Queen of the Night program but Med could do the skating equivalent of the technical impossibilities and Radio could give it the insane interpretation. Either way it would be memorable!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Half my suggestions are video game soundtracks, and the other half are just simply #gay. :D

Panzer Dragoon
soundtrack, one of the finest video game soundtracks (and games!) ever. It is criminal none of the men have skated to this yet, the game is over 20 years old! The theme is so majestic, some great changes in tempo, regal, and catchy. Someone PLEASE skate to this.

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen, I feel like just about every Queen song has been used in the past 4 years but this one--this would be a fantastic SP with some easy music cuts. CMON!

You'll See by Madonna, female ballads are guaranteed to be part of ladies skating for eternity, why can't we pick some QUALITY ones. This is one of Madonna's best songs ever, a perfect pace for skating, tons of drama (and lip synching!) potential, it has a great climax for the footwork sequence...this could be a sensational program. And oh yeah, no cutting necessary. (ETA yes Pasha used this as an exhibition but I don't care).

ANYTHING from the Street Fighter series, Ryu's SF5 them is linked here, but there are dozens of themes from the past 25(!!) years that could make great SPs or be combined into a fabulous LP. I can see a fabulously trashy SF program from someone like Righini...

Someone has skated to parts of the Zelda theme music, right? Why can't I remember?

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
For starts, now that you can use vocals in singles skating, which ladies skater is going to finally step up and be "The Queen of the Night" for a short program?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVV9jShEzU

I kinda figured 20 years someone would at least do it for a pro program. Bonaly could've done it - her skating could handle that kind of power and play. Out of the current crop I could see Pogorilaya being able to pull it off....actually that would be fantastic (and so unlikely)

OMG. Yes. This is fantastic! I don't think Leonova has enough oomph in her skating to pull this off, but she could rock the hell out of the facial expressions for this! :cheer:

suki

Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk
The Beatles - The End (I kind of picture Hanyu doing this one)
The American ice dancers Navvaro and Bommentare used "The End" for their free dance. I forget the year, but it was before the 2010 Olympics. Unforunately I can't find it on YouTube any more.

My vote is for another Beatles song "Tomorrow Never Knows" from the "Revolver" album. I would love to see a free dance to this. It's so different, but the right dancers and choreographer could pull it off, although I'm sure the judges would not understand it and mark it down.:mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8n

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Half my suggestions are video game soundtracks, and the other half are just simply #gay. :D

Panzer Dragoon
soundtrack, one of the finest video game soundtracks (and games!) ever. It is criminal none of the men have skated to this yet, the game is over 20 years old! The theme is so majestic, some great changes in tempo, regal, and catchy. Someone PLEASE skate to this.

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen, I feel like just about every Queen song has been used in the past 4 years but this one--this would be a fantastic SP with some easy music cuts. CMON!

You'll See by Madonna, female ballads are guaranteed to be part of ladies skating for eternity, why can't we pick some QUALITY ones. This is one of Madonna's best songs ever, a perfect pace for skating, tons of drama (and lip synching!) potential, it has a great climax for the footwork sequence...this could be a sensational program. And oh yeah, no cutting necessary. (ETA yes Pasha used this as an exhibition but I don't care).

ANYTHING from the Street Fighter series, Ryu's SF5 them is linked here, but there are dozens of themes from the past 25(!!) years that could make great SPs or be combined into a fabulous LP. I can see a fabulously trashy SF program from someone like Righini...

Someone has skated to parts of the Zelda theme music, right? Why can't I remember?

Wonderful ideas. :respec: I found this version of Zelda 4 years ago https://youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q - and I think it would be a :kickass: program! Lindsey Stirling is :D hilarious

And then there's Lindsey in "Assassins Creed III" (this one would be completely :inavoid: )
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MOg8Cz9yfWg

Aljona as Cammy/Bruno as Zangief or Ryu (as an exhibition), and we would have our first legit street fighter program. :inavoid:

I wasn't big on Stolbova and Klimov's 2015 SP, but after seeing the Mortal Kombat symbol they used on the costumes, I had an epiphany back then about Ksenia as Mileena/Katana/Jade (take your pick) and Fedor can be Raiden or Reptile (complete with the makeup). I still think it would work

I'm not convinced that anything can ever top Pasha's "You'll See".. but it's still a nice thought. Here it is again, just because:
https://youtu.be/UOuxoDh5Svo

And I think one of @floskate's amazing montages inspired Mirai Nagasu to skate to "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen in 2007 (I remember her saying something about it in an interview):
https://youtu.be/8PNSrgYnbvo

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen?? It sounds like Blades of Glory II!

Not even close.

Very intelligent witty British Romcom with Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt.

Very pretty and quirky soundtrack composed by Academy Award winner Dario Marianelli.

He also composed the soundtracks to "Pride and Predjudice" and "Atonement" (he won the Oscar for that one).

Last edited:

Rock2

(the bolded copy are links you can click on, which I think everyone knows)

I wanted Duhamel and Radford to pick this music for their LP for the Olympics. It suits their style and was used only once that I know of, by Kozuka in 2010 but the choreo was kinda meh. Ah well....

Water for Elephants is a cool soundtrack I don't think I've heard anyone use thus far. The opening minute and a half of this track in particular would make a good first cut for a long

I know this sounds very 'Lion King-y' and again I don't think it's been used, but this track, the Epilogue from Disney's Dinosaur could be a fun and rousing close to a long program.

I have a bunch of indie stuff that I like and it bothers me the genre is almost never used. Dolensky picking Novo Amor has made me finally exhale, so I'll let it go for now. He's using a great tune from a few years ago but I might have chosen Carry You, which only recently came out...but I'm not complaining!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I found this version of Zelda 4 years ago https://youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q - and I think it would be a :kickass: program! Lindsey Stirling is :D hilarious

And then there's Lindsey in "Assassins Creed III" (this one would be completely :inavoid: )
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MOg8Cz9yfWg

Lindsey Sterling is amazing--and I've never heard of her! Thanks for the introducing me, that Zelda medley in particular is incredible, and she has a great costume and choreography too. :D

Aljona as Cammy/Bruno as Zangief or Ryu (as an exhibition), and we would have our first legit street fighter program. :inavoid:

I wasn't big on Stolbova and Klimov's 2015 SP, but after seeing the Mortal Kombat symbol they used on the costumes, I had an epiphany back then about Ksenia as Mileena/Katana/Jade (take your pick) and Fedor can be Raiden or Reptile (complete with the makeup). I still think it would work

We need a Cammy/Zangief exhibition from Aliona/Massot. Bruno has to be Zangief :D That would be so epic.

And I definitely see Stolbova as Kitana, although I like Jade too. S/K are much more Mortal Kombat than Claire de Lune.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
S

SmallFairy

Michael Weiss (of all people) actually used the Mulan soundtrack for his LP in 1998-1999 and won Worlds bronze. I think it's one of his best programs (and actually I think his skating has aged well over the past 20 years, but that's a different topic for a different thread). ;)

I loved his lutz! And I really cheered for him to get bronze that year, it was indeed a memorable program (I was there, the Americans next to us had an American flag who was a towel:lol:) Too bad Michael himself eventually had a bit too much tan and high hair and that earring. His basics and jumps were really good.

screech

Oh heavens, no. You'd have to have an exceptionally bright personality to pull that off. A tune like TAKE FIVE has often been said to be kind of a monotonous drag to skate to and it has much more spirit.
I'd mentioned Hanyu for The Beatles song I posted, not Sleepwalk

merrywidow

I've been waiting for 40 years for someone to begin using music from one of the old operettas: The Student Prince, The Desert Song, The Vagabond King, Blossom Time, The Red Mill, The New Moon, etc.

Rock2

I'd mentioned Hanyu for The Beatles song I posted, not Sleepwalk
That's fine...but I was basically suggesting this music wouldn't work ever. For anyone. Maybe as a tongue in cheek comedy exhibition if anything.

suki

The waltz from Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin. I may think of others later, but that one comes to mind first.
I agree. There is a lot of good music in Eugene Onegin (the waltz and the polonaise are two of my favorites). I can't believe no ice dancing team has used this music yet. It's danceable on its own, but there is a story attached to it for those skaters who like character-driven programs.

Kecasyl

Panzer Dragoon

Oksana Baiul skated to "You'll See" in a competitive program back around 1995-96.

Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk
The Beatles - The End (I kind of picture Hanyu doing this one)

The Santo and Johnny song has been used by a female skater but I can't remember who right now.

One of the Japanese or Chinese ladies skaters is doing the Mulan Suite this coming season.
Also back in 2004-05 season Binshu Xu skated it as her LP.

jennysk8oboe

Would love to see someone skate to music from the fourth and fifth movements of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. Talk about a high energy ending!

screech

That's fine...but I was basically suggesting this music wouldn't work ever. For anyone. Maybe as a tongue in cheek comedy exhibition if anything.
It would definitely be a difficult piece, but IMO not a comedy exhibition at all. It would need to be someone with good edge work and a bit of 'soul' to be able to get their whole body into it. Also, IMO it is not lacking in spirit (and is more interesting by far than Take Five) but again, just my opinion. If we all had the same opinions in music, the skating world would be a much less interesting place.

nuge

Wuthering Heights.Kate Bush.I've absolutely no idea if it could be used in competition but even for an Exhibition would be fab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information