Simonenko's interview with Tutberidze `Projecting the upbringing on the sport results discipline'

Rina RUS

I was wondering whether I have dirty mind, but it wasn't me posting such a thing here, it was @Rina RUS , so it must be her who has dirty mind.
Thank you, Hanca. Would you like to say anything else about me? :)
Don't try to imagine. :) And everything will be OK with your mind. :)

Would "get into somebody's skin" be better? (if your English is good)
This is the closest variant, which I can invent.
I also see "stand in someone’s shoes" in the dictionary, but I think usually people use it not for such a case.

Rina RUS

By the way, I don't think, that it is always good, if a student says: `the minute of the practice is gone and we are still talking'. Sometimes it is right to talk.

And... as far as I know, the Russians have another attitude to the time indeed. It doesn't mean, that they are always lazy. It means, that often they don't have a strict plan. So it also means, that the Russians are ready to work or to talk about work at that time, which wasn't expected to be working time. It also means, that the Russians can change the plan in the last moment; can work really hard, when they don't have much time; can work at nights...
As far as I remember, one director from Germany was saying, that he gives only a week to Russians. He thinks it is useless to give them a month, because anyway they will try to do all the work in the last week.
I think even those Russians who are motivated, usually don't count minutes as strictly as some other people do.
Joubert was shocked, when he worked with Tarasova. He thought he didn't have enough time to change his program. Joubert also says, that the Russians taught him to work hard.

Rina RUS

For a second I was afraid it was a quote from my translation and started thinking what on earth was I smoking. What a relief it's not....
Sorry. I'm not perfect, that's for sure.

Yes, I thought, that maybe it was right to take your words for the beginning of the phrase. As for the second part of the phrase... maybe trying to translate such things is silly.

I just thought, that maybe Tutberidze also allows the behaviour, which Tarasova wouldn't allow. Maybe a coach should be ready to say: "Stop. I will not work with you."

It doesn't mean, that Tutberidze isn't cruel. Maybe she is too young indeed. Maybe she always will be "too young" from this point of view...

zebraswan

Eteri is not TAT and vice versa. What is tolerable to one coach may not be tolerable to another. Eteri swears herself in training, so maybe she doesn't have a problem with the skaters doing it if it helps to relieve stress. At the same time, there are other behaviors that she definitely would not allow. But everything she says here is without any context, and it's just her interpretation of events. We don't get to hear from the skaters she's throwing under the bus. I am not going to change my opinion of anyone she talked about here - if anything, I feel more sympathy for those who ran away...

Rina RUS

Eteri is not TAT and vice versa. What is tolerable to one coach may not be tolerable to another. Eteri swears herself in training
TAT allowed swearing. And... a man refused to repeat the words which TAT could use to make Yagudin work intensively. Of course, you are right, that all the people are different. :)

I don't mean, that the one who allows too much is kind. It seems there is no rules in Tutberidze's system, that the coach just tries to argue. So she tells us, that she doesn't like this, doesn't like that, instead of saying to the students: "This is the rule".

I don't blame the skaters. Trankov says now, that the situation isn't simple even for him (he is a champion). Some young skaters feel, that they are not even champions, and maybe tomorrow they will need to start their life from the very beginning, will have to look for another profession, maybe they won't be even healthy... It is worse than the situation, which many other teenagers have - not just because of life skills... It can be hard even for an adult person, not only for a teenager.

Katarzyna

Some excerpts from Buyanova’s latest interview:
http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/2993-elena-buyanova-u-nashikh-sportsmenok-silnyj-kharakter.html

“During the last year Adian practically didn’t stop to see doctors. For a young guy it’s hard to endure it, the situation isn't easy for Adian. We were forced to sit out the season, though Petr Tshernishew made great programmes for Adian. But the injury constantly slowed down the practice process and that held us back. There were periods of improvement, but as soon as we increased the work load, the athlete got pain in the back. And this, probably, has already gotten to a chronic state. But it’s necessary to learn new elements. The competitors moved forward. We spoke with Adian about this issue. But he has to decide himself if he can continue to skate. Pitkeev is a very talented, exceptionally gifted skater – ambitious, receptive. It’s very sad that the injury disturbed him to realize his potential. But health is health. I went through that by myself in sport, and know what injury and sickness is not only by reports.”

There were quite a few parts of Eteri’s interview I didn’t like, but the statements on Adian are just repulsive. Adian skated for at least one year on a severe back injury, without getting proper treatment with Eteri. With that approach things apparently chronified so much, that even after more than one year of serious treatment it looks like nothing can be done anymore and Adian will have to retire from skating after just turning 19 a couple of days ago. And instead of admitting a mistake or at least keeping silent, Eteri even attacks Adian for being kind of hysteric, provocative and not willing to train during that period (now who can blame him when he was in constant pain?).

The Euros story is also strange. Eteri herself mentioned how sick Adian was before Euros (3 weeks after nationals in bed with high fever, antibiotics – basically he had one week of preparation) and that he skated so well given the circumstances:
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/769989/

Now she says that he didn’t want to skate there - well, no wonder with that kind of preparation. So obviously Eteri pressured Adian to skate at Euros. And his back was already taped at this competition. In my book it’s vile to ruin a skaters image, who actually might retire due to Eteri not paying proper attention to injury. :angryfire

Some other comments on her former skaters were also quite unpleasant to say at least. It amazing how a so very successful coach so much lacks class. :(

barbarafan

Some excerpts from Buyanova’s latest interview:
http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/2993-elena-buyanova-u-nashikh-sportsmenok-silnyj-kharakter.html

“During the last year Adian practically didn’t stop to see doctors. For a young guy it’s hard to endure it, the situation isn't easy for Adian. We were forced to sit out the season, though Petr Tshernishew made great programmes for Adian. But the injury constantly slowed down the practice process and that held us back. There were periods of improvement, but as soon as we increased the work load, the athlete got pain in the back. And this, probably, has already gotten to a chronic state. But it’s necessary to learn new elements. The competitors moved forward. We spoke with Adian about this issue. But he has to decide himself if he can continue to skate. Pitkeev is a very talented, exceptionally gifted skater – ambitious, receptive. It’s very sad that the injury disturbed him to realize his potential. But health is health. I went through that by myself in sport, and know what injury and sickness is not only by reports.”

There were quite a few parts of Eteri’s interview I didn’t like, but the statements on Adian are just repulsive. Adian skated for at least one year on a severe back injury, without getting proper treatment with Eteri. With that approach things apparently chronified so much, that even after more than one year of serious treatment it looks like nothing can be done anymore and Adian will have to retire from skating after just turning 19 a couple of days ago. And instead of admitting a mistake or at least keeping silent, Eteri even attacks Adian for being kind of hysteric, provocative and not willing to train during that period (now who can blame him when he was in constant pain?).

The Euros story is also strange. Eteri herself mentioned how sick Adian was before Euros (3 weeks after nationals in bed with high fever, antibiotics – basically he had one week of preparation) and that he skated so well given the circumstances:
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/769989/

Now she says that he didn’t want to skate there - well, no wonder with that kind of preparation. So obviously Eteri pressured Adian to skate at Euros. And his back was already taped at this competition. In my book it’s vile to ruin a skaters image, who actually might retire due to Eteri not paying proper attention to injury. :angryfire

Some other comments on her former skaters were also quite unpleasant to say at least. It amazing how a so very successful coach so much lacks class. :(

Does it say anywhere exactly what is the problem with the back...mri wise? Maybe there are procedures even in other countries which could fix the damage although there could be long convalescence involved. He is just 19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information