"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GullyGirl84

I wouldn't mind if Mirai kept her SP for next year. It's a stunner, and I don't think it was ever skated to its full potential, not even at Autumn Classic. I think the LP kind of weighed her down all season, like her Madame Butterfly program. I know that Mirai said she really fell in love with the Winner Takes it All song after she heard it, but next time Tom Z should just let her skate to whatever the heck she wants to, even if it's Avatar. I think that she should start working on new program(s) earlier this year too...I think that she shouldn't do another David Wilson program, and should instead use Jeffrey for both programs. She also may benefit from using a local choreographer (like Rohene) who could work with her more frequently on touching up the program without having to go to Canada. All in all, pewter is heartbreaking, but it could have been worse...

jiejie

I despise the song and thought it was especially awful for a skating program. Draggy tune, loaded lyrics, no true highlights to choreograph to. Mirai's FS should have been nixed by TPTB at Champ's Camp back in August when she would have previewed it, and I am amazed that it wasn't.

I've always thought a big part of the strategic battle every season is picking great music and doing good edits of it. Choreography and of course, skating execution, is the focus, but you've got to have the right musical foundation under those, matched to the skater at hand.

smarts1

The thing that really did her in is that she just gave up on her performance. It was written all over her face after the combo spin. I've never seen someone just let go of everything as much as she did. She was only 3 points behind Mariah, and she could have easily made that all up on PCS if she had sold the hell out of that program even with all of the mistakes. Unfortunately she didn't.

It's really sad because for some reason, Mirai has been hammered at Nationals in the past on PCS for putting out LPs that fall flat artistically because she is focused too heavily on the jumps. This year, it was because she just stopped performing. And she is the only skater at Nationals (singles, pairs, and dance combined) who has such major PCS fluctuation year in and year out.

Last edited:

Susan M

I think her LP music was a rough choice -- so many lyrics about falling, failing, past failures you don't want to talk about, etc. ...

I agree, this was a terrible music choice. Even without the awful lyrics, the music itself was ponderous and depressing. I cannot imagine what anyone was thinking when they chose this (or what USFS was thinking not telling her to change it at Champs Camp). Once she made an error, it seemed like the music was actually weighing her down.

Mirai does benefit from powerful music, but it needs to be uplifting. Personally, I think she should go back to instrumentals next year.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Fourth is still respectable. She fought after the mistake on the lutz. I do hope though that she ditches this downbeat music in the FS. It just doesn't feel or sound 'Olympian' or grand in any way. She needs fighting music! Something like her 'Pirates' SP music of long ago. She was so perky and happy then and really sold that program.

Did anyone else think it looked like Mirai hurt herself when she fell and it affected her skating?

Perhaps but it seemed to shake her more than anything and affected her confidence on the remaining jumps. But she fought hard and I'm proud of her! I hope they give her spot at 4CCs.

She needs angry music where she can play an intense character. I think that would be easier to stick with than anything traditionally feminine or delicate.

ITA!! This is what I've been thinking exactly! I knew "Winner Takes It All" was all wrong for her. Only a truly consistent skater with strong expression can carry that type of a song off. I have an idea for a song that I'm going to write to her about. I hope she considers it or at least music that's upbeat.

Although she did a beautiful job with the Chopin Nocturne. I would be happy to see her work with Jeff again. David: no way, Jose! I will never forgive him. :Grrrrr!:

I agree that would help. She can do angry/intense and she can do lyrical but what she cant do is angst or super happy.

THIS! David was a wrong fit for Mirai imo. How could he ever choose (or allow her to choose) a song like "Winner Takes It All" (and not even ABBA's superior version) for a skater as inconsistent as Mirai and with her history! :angryfire

I agree. I think it built up over the season and just took hold of her (in a bad way). Maybe I'm projecting - it would have had that effect on me!

I want to burn David Wilson in effigy. J/K.

Let's do it LOL!! :lynch:

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

One thing about Mirai... I wish she would take some notes from Karen.

When Johnny says...Karen looks the judges right in the eyes. She knows what she's selling. And I agree.

I dont think Mirai knows whats she selling in her free skate.

I think she knows but I don't think performance is prioritized at her rink. Going through the emotions isn't a good performance. Performance involves manipulating the audience etc. The short program worked because it's so introspective. The free requires her to have a range of emotion and to perform the nuances of the music. She never did.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It was too early to me to say "Burn the music disc." lol It's the best chance to try 3A. Add a big trick to the depressing LP and finish this season with a big firework. :kickass: :biggrinbo

I think if she lands a 3A at 4CC, it will create a lot of excitement and it could help the rest of her performance. I really hope she goes for it. She has nothing to lose at this point.

Spun Silver

I think if she lands a 3A at 4CC, it will create a lot of excitement and it could help the rest of her performance. I really hope she goes for it. She has nothing to lose at this point.
I would love to see it but it is just as likely that the first time out it wont work, and the fail could take the air out of the rest of her performance. I think the 3A is always a huge risk for ladies.

One thing that puzzles me about TWTIA is why anguished expressions and gestures are not choreographed into the program. I know that's done sometimes with her programs bec she mentioned it in a TSL interview, but this one seems to lack those finishing touches.

I almost wish they would keep the program and change the music. There is not a lot of particularity about this program...she might as well be skating to Avatar. Oh well. I know that wont happen at this point, but they could add in the angsty faces and gestures and the big trick. It would be nice if she focused on selling it whether or not the jumps work. The judges need to see that from her in this piece.

GullyGirl84

Does anyone know if she plans on sticking around after the next Olympics?

On her teleconference, someone told her that Ashley had said she was sticking around after the Olympics, and asked her what her plans were. Mirai wouldn't rule anything out, and said that while the Olympics are important, there are other competitions as well.

TSL posted the post-free skate Mixed Zone interviews, and someone asked if it was nerves that affected her free skate. She said that she did not monitor herself during the week like she should have (that her body was tired). This struck me because I remember her saying that she thought that she "overtrained" before Skate Canada, and that it affected her performance. When Jackie Wong asked (during Ice talk) if training the Triple A helped her other jumps, she said "yes and no", and that it helped her stamina, but that it takes a toll on her body. So I partway hope that she Doesn't try the Triple A at 4CC.

arakwafan2006

On her teleconference, someone told her that Ashley had said she was sticking around after the Olympics, and asked her what her plans were. Mirai wouldn't rule anything out, and said that while the Olympics are important, there are other competitions as well.

TSL posted the post-free skate Mixed Zone interviews, and someone asked if it was nerves that affected her free skate. She said that she did not monitor herself during the week like she should have (that her body was tired). This struck me because I remember her saying that she thought that she "overtrained" before Skate Canada, and that it affected her performance. When Jackie Wong asked (during Ice talk) if training the Triple A helped her other jumps, she said "yes and no", and that it helped her stamina, but that it takes a toll on her body. So I partway hope that she Doesn't try the Triple A at 4CC.

Thanks for that.

I hope she does try it at 4c but doesn't add it next year unless it's consistent. Training things above your current skill set is always good unless it is harmful. I don't think all athletes are able to try risky moves in competition but keep their focus up. Aliona and Meghan for instance can usually try a crazy move, miss and salvage the rest. Mirai's real Triple Axel is concentration and the ability to refocus.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting and replying to @rosewood here:
BTW who's her BF? I usually don't follow skaters' private life but can't help but ask this. :D
I don't believe her boyfriend is a skater? This Xmas photo may be the first time she shared a photo of him/them together on her social media?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOxMjZlA4B_

I'm glad she gets the opportunity to compete at 4CC! :)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

I don't believe her boyfriend is a skater? This Xmas photo may be the first time she shared a photo of him/them together on her social media?

Thanx and my apology for asking it in GSD. I saw this photo the other day but didn't think it's the guy. Glad it sounds our girl is fulfilling both life on and out of the ice. :)

tylersf

I think her LP music was a rough choice -- so many lyrics about falling, failing, past failures you don't want to talk about, etc. Not something that you want playing when you're trying to get it back together after a mistake. Poor Mirai, I was really rooting for her!

To me that piece was almost like self-sabotage. It almost baits the judges to be extra critical of her program and underscore her unfairly.
If I could tell Mirai to pick new music, it would be something more uplifting like "Go the Distance" from Hercules, "Power of the Dream" by Celine Dion or "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO Movie.

skatepixie

To me that piece was almost like self-sabotage. It almost baits the judges to be extra critical of her program and underscore her unfairly.
If I could tell Mirai to pick new music, it would be something more uplifting like "Go the Distance" from Hercules, "Power of the Dream" by Celine Dion or "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO Movie.

I'm still not fully sold on pop music and lyrics. I know it's allowed, I just don't like it.

That said, I know what you mean.

tylersf

Do you think we've all been mishearing the lyrics to Mirai's LP. If she has a boyfriend, maybe the LP is dedicated to him. Maybe the title of the song on her LP is "The WIENER takes it all". If this true, the LP music choice makes sense.

Sylvia

TBD
I found this radio interview posted on Mirai's website:

http://kansaspublicradio.org/live-performance/champion-figure-skater-mirai-nagasu

Champion Figure Skater Mirai Nagasu
Submitted by Michael Keelan on Fri, 01/13/2017 - 19:03
Classical music plays a prominent part in competitive figure skating. This year, the national championships are held in Kansas City from Jan. 14-22. Michael Keelan talked with Mirai Nagasu, who has won multiple medals in the annual event over several years, including the gold, about the role of music. She competes on Jan. 19, using Chopin's posthumous c# minor nocturne, and Jan. 21.
Aired Date:
Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bellanca

I'm still not fully sold on pop music and lyrics. I know it's allowed, I just don't like it.
Especially when it is really bad 80's crap. :yikes: Without naming names... :slinkaway

ETA: BTW, I am not speaking of Mirai or her musical choices. ;) However, as I've already mentioned, I hope that she does resist using vocals next season.

Last edited:

worldsnice12

Not sure if her ex program at National was posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjE0iUexPSg

ok, perhaps not a popsong for next season but boy, she is like a different skater with upbeat music :cheer:

I think she is a bit "mad" how things turned out after the LP and I hope she will have a great showing at 4CC. I would not be surprised if she finish ahead of Karen and Mariah and may ending up on the podium even if it is going to be tougher this year with Satoko, Wakaba, Osmond and Gabby in the field.

Go Mirai! I want to enjoy seeing that beautiful SP once again and a clean LP would be nice before throwing it in the bin ;)

Bellanca

This season's 4CC's field is just insane -- in a good way! I am really looking forward to the competition. So many favorites, Mirai included, so it will be hard to be disappointed (a good thing!) with the outcome. But, certainly, I would (obviously) like to see Mirai on the podium! :cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information