"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Lynn Rutherford tweeted this re. Mirai's pre-Nationals media teleconference call:
@mirai_nagasu will decide whether to do triple axel #USChamps17 after Kansas City practices: "I’ve just started to land them cleanly" 1/2

She is running through program with the triple axel, so she is prepared: "I want to put it all out there" #USChamps17
Audio link is not yet posted on IceNetwork.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

bardtoob

:sasha1::sasha1: If successful Mirai then could become the 3rd American woman to do this at the USA Nats??

Harding, Meissner and then maybe her? :sarah1:

Mirai has been wanting to land the 3A in competition for a long time. I think it would mean a lot for her personal goals if she got a ratified 3A. I can remember her, when she was still a wunderkind, asking Mao Asada the secret to the 3A in front of the media, and Mao playfully saying, " Well, if you practice it every day . . ."

ETA: It was in this interview, but the version I saw had subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK4K-cNAS0I

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I was never a big Mirai fan until this year when I sensed a new maturity in her skating - she's caught up with her body. The lines, the musicality - lovely. Wouldn't it be better to focus on clean 3's and 3-3's for nationals? With Polina sitting out she has a great chance to get back on the podium. This would really boost her confidence to go to Worlds. If she misses the 3A at nationals it could throw off her whole program - and guess what, 4th place again. Experiment with the 3A at 4CC.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I was never a big Mirai fan until this year when I sensed a new maturity in her skating - she's caught up with her body. The lines, the musicality - lovely. Wouldn't it be better to focus on clean 3's and 3-3's for nationals? With Polina sitting out she has a great chance to get back on the podium. This would really boost her confidence to go to Worlds. If she misses the 3A at nationals it could throw off her whole program - and guess what, 4th place again. Experiment with the 3A at 4CC.
And she still might do that? However I don't think she should continue to push it off if it is one of her goals. She tired it last year in a senior b and missed it badly and it really affected the whole program but she wasn't landing them that well in practice in the first place last year from the clips we saw.

SidelineSkater

Yes. Going for the 3A makes me very nervous, even more so when watching Mirai with her regular content. I wonder what her layout will be? Would she do it in both programs? FS 3A, 3F3T, 3S//2A3T2T, 3Z, 3F2T, 3R? I'm not sure she 'needs' the 3A to get on the World Team, but it would be great no matter how she does it!

Spun Silver

Exactly!

Susan M

That eye sore would still be worth 2 points more than a 2A.

I think I'd go better than that. It looked fully rotated in the air (certainly within 90 degrees) so would have the full base value of 8.5. It actually had pretty good height and distance. The question is how much to deduct for the big turnout. She did stay on one foot, so I would go with -1 GOE but I'd guess some judges would take -2. So, that leaves a score of 6.5 or 7.5, a lot more than the 3.3 base value for a decent 2 axel.

Spun Silver

Mirai has been wanting to land the 3A in competition for a long time. I think it would mean a lot for her personal goals if she got a ratified 3A. I can remember her, when she was still a wunderkind, asking Mao Asada the secret to the 3A in front of the media, and Mao playfully saying, " Well, if you practice it every day . . ."

ETA: It was in this interview, but the version I saw had subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK4K-cNAS0I
It would not just be a personal victory. She would get a lot of attention.... and expectations and pressure. I just dont know if she is mentally tough enough for that.

But boy, will I be happy for her if she pulls it off!

Vagabond

Tonya Harding landed her first triple axel in competition at U.S. Nationals. Kimmie Meissner landed her only one at Nationals. Aki Sawada landed at least one in Japanese domestic competition; I am not sure if she even tried one in international competition.

If Mirai's ever going to attempt the triple axel in competition, why not now? And if not now, when? [/HILLEL]

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I felt bad for the last reporter I understood what they were trying to ask or point out but I also understand why Mirai was confused. I don't think they were saying Mirai was worse at NHK, I think they were saying the opposite and that her spins looked faster.

SkateFanBerlin

She looks super slim not that was large in the first place but she posting detox products on her feed. Go Mirai!! https://www.instagram.com/p/BPLxXnwACxF/

We don't talk about these things but she is slimmer in the legs and it's improved her line. I feel sorry for these athletes who have to live such controlled lives with eating. What's the story - Brian Boitano said he would pour milk on his cereal than squeeze it out before eating.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I felt bad for the last reporter I understood what they were trying to ask or point out but I also understand why Mirai was confused. I don't think they were saying Mirai was worse at NHK, I think they were saying the opposite and that her spins looked faster.

Thanks for the translation. I had no idea what the reporter was asking.#kwanfused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information