Bobrova and Soloviev out of Worlds

Katha

This is terrible news. They can say goodbye to getting back three spots at Worlds, then. Or SinKats get a scoring boost for being number one by default and StepBukin get a scoring boost for being default number two?

It's not the first time something like this has happened to the Russian fed, is it? That a skater took something that was recently added to the doping list and was punished for it?

Xela M

This is terrible news. They can say goodbye to getting back three spots at Worlds, then. Or SinKats get a scoring boost for being number one by default and StepBukin get a scoring boost for being default number two?

It's not the first time something like this has happened to the Russian fed, is it? That a skater took something that was recently added to the doping list and was punished for it?

How much bloody scoring boost can you give to those four?! They'll be lucky to keep 2 spots

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I feel bad for the team. It sounds like perhaps she took it without knowing she was taking it, and recent to the Europeans competition? That perhaps the doctor, Shvedsky, gave it to her - that he's done similar in the past, and it caused another team (rowing?) to test positive? Am I reading that right? Perhaps he doesn't keep up on the latest regulations, as he should, but wow. I feel very bad for her, if this is the case; and for her partner.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
How much bloody scoring boost can you give to those four?! They'll be lucky to keep 2 spots

They'll be OK for 2 spots, (they'd probably have to have one team not make the FS to go down to 1) but 3 seems unlikely. Assuming everyone is clean, I'd expect P/C, C/L, W/P, C/B & Shibs ahead of S/K, and H/D ahead of S/B, with G/P maybe sneaking ahead as well. So 6th & 8th (not enough for 3). Definitely no room for mistakes, and neither team has shown themselves to be a beacon of consistency...

Katha

They'll be OK for 2 spots, (they'd probably have to have one team not make the FS to go down to 1) but 3 seems unlikely. Assuming everyone is clean, I'd expect P/C, C/L, W/P, C/B & Shibs ahead of S/K, and H/D ahead of S/B, with G/P maybe sneaking ahead as well. So 6th & 8th (not enough for 3). Definitely no room for mistakes, and neither team has shown themselves to be a beacon of consistency...
That's a likely scenario, agree. The probable best case scenario. I think C/L are vulnerable in the FD, but their SD is strong and once they're in that last group things get super difficult. S/K and S/B aren't the only ones who've shown themselves to be mistake prone, though, some of the top teams have as well. No one's skated yet. I'm not saying 5th is likely for SinKats, not at all. But what they've scored so far is close enough to the top teams that if one of them screws up, they're in with a chance. Of course it will depend on tech panel and performance on the day.

StitchMonkey

http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/974802/
Cannot translate verbatum (no time now), but it says that the doping probe was taken during the Europeans. That the drug is widely used in Russian sport (at least before the ban), that it became illegal Jan.1, it promotes endurance and quick muscle recovery. WADA classified it as S4, a serious "hormones and metabolic drugs" offense, that can lead to a 4 year ban.

Thank you for adding this. From what was on the wiki page of the drug it seems like the type you would more likely be taking because you need it, and I was wondering how it was performance enhancing.

Xela M

I was exaggerating, but omg how far has Russian ice dance fallen!! S&K and S&B is the best they can do. *palmface*

Xela M

Supporting injections? Mozer group? Does this mean what I think it means?

I'm no expert, but don't many skaters get injections (with legal drugs) for pain relief before performances? I remember a few skaters talking about it

GarrAargHrumph

Here is the Associated Press article, in English:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/top-russian-ice-dancer-bobrova-fails-doping-test-37460112

It says Bobrova reported to the media that she failed a doping test after Europeans, and the substance was meldonium, a heart drug that used to be popular as a sport "supplement" in Russia and the former Soviet countries, and which was banned as of January 1. She said she was very surprised, because she'd been careful of what she took, and was aware that this drug was banned.

The article doesn't talk about anything beyond this.

forthewin

Here is the Associated Press article, in English:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/top-russian-ice-dancer-bobrova-fails-doping-test-37460112

It says Bobrova reported to the media that she failed a doping test after Europeans, and the substance was meldonium, a heart drug that used to be popular as a sport "supplement" in Russia and the former Soviet countries, and which was banned as of January 1. She said she was very surprised, because she'd been careful of what she took, and was aware that this drug was banned.

The article doesn't talk about anything beyond this.

a heart drug that used to be popular as a sport "supplement" in Russia and the former Soviet countries, yeah, not shady at all.

GarrAargHrumph

They've worked so hard, too, to improve their posture and etc., to address their issues, and to think that this could be it, end of career. It's a shame.

Is it the case that all participants at Europeans are drug tested, or is it random/just a sample?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
They've worked so hard, too, to improve their posture and etc., to address their issues, and to think that this could be it, end of career. It's a shame.

Is it the case that all participants at Europeans are drug tested, or is it random/just a sample?
I think the medallists all get tested plus a few random competitors. With Pairs and Ice Dance it is that I think only one partner is tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information