Skate Canada 2023 Free Dance - There's a Rat in Me Kitchen, What Am I Gonna Do?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
British Judge put Fear & Gibson in 1st.
USA had Zingas & Kolesnik in 3rd over the Browns.
USA had Reed & Ambrulevicius in 6th behind all the US teams.
USA is the only judge not to give any 5s in the Free Dance.

Reed & Ambrulevicius got ! on their choreosteps, losing 2+ points. Their score would have been ~119 without the error.
Same for Zingas & Kolesnik, ! on the choreo steps. Score would have been ~115 without the error.

skatingguy

decently
British Judge put Fear & Gibson in 1st.
USA had Zingas & Kolesnik in 3rd over the Browns.
USA had Reed & Ambrulevicius in 6th behind all the US teams.
USA is the only judge not to give any 5s in the Free Dance.

Reed & Ambrulevicius got ! on their choreosteps, losing 2+ points. Their score would have been ~119 without the error.
Same for Zingas & Kolesnik, ! on the choreo steps. Score would have been ~115 without the error.
The late rule change to the partner separation catching more teams out. I would think that issue will be addressed very quickly over the next few weeks.

Debbie S

What does ! mean....it didn't go end to end?

Z/K as the top U.S. team by the U.S. judge is telling.

Icetalavista

Those +GOEs when he almost dropped her going into the rotational lift are RIDICULOUS.
Oh, but it was all choreographed, including scared face. A deep commentary on gettin’ back up and fightin’ back.

I have to say the speed bag work and jump rope twizzleswere pretty adorable

Icetalavista

I was exhausted by the first minute of Wuth Hghts! Yikes the drama. I think it’s far better than chock bates at least at this point. The music and theme and Piper’s blondness and Paul’s threateningness felt very Hitchcocklike to me. I started wondering how Hitchcock would make his cutesy cameo. Maybe as a sheep herder out in the heather.

Sylvia

TBD
Pl.NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIERCAN
131.46​
74.60​
56.86​
9.50​
9.50​
9.43​
0.00​
#10​
2​
Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSONGBR
126.04​
70.98​
55.06​
9.21​
9.25​
9.07​
0.00​
#9​
3​
Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUSLTU
116.41​
64.33​
52.08​
8.79​
8.68​
8.57​
0.00​
#8​
4​
Oona BROWN / Gage BROWNUSA
113.71​
64.43​
49.28​
8.21​
8.11​
8.32​
0.00​
#7​
5​
Emilea ZINGAS / Vadym KOLESNIKUSA
112.71​
63.49​
49.22​
8.29​
8.25​
8.07​
0.00​
#6​
6​
Eva PATE / Logan BYEUSA
109.34​
63.40​
46.94​
7.93​
7.79​
7.75​
1.00​
#5​
7​
Jennifer JANSE van RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFANGER
106.38​
60.04​
46.34​
7.89​
7.71​
7.57​
0.00​
#3​
8​
Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYERCAN
105.03​
59.47​
45.56​
7.68​
7.64​
7.46​
0.00​
#4​
9​
Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVSCAN
102.82​
58.68​
44.14​
7.43​
7.46​
7.18​
0.00​
#2​
10​
Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIUCHN
95.95​
52.23​
43.72​
7.36​
7.25​
7.25​
0.00​
#1​

Ice Dance
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points RD FD
1 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 219.01 1 1
2 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR 209.55 2 2
3 Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 192.01 3 3
4 Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN USA 187.62 4 4
5 Emilea ZINGAS / Vadym KOLESNIK USA 184.96 5 5
6 Eva PATE / Logan BYE USA 181.46 6 6
7 Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER CAN 173.34 7 8
8 Jennifer JANSE van RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFAN GER 172.52 8 7
9 Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS CAN 168.79 9 9
10 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 160.61 10 10

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
This, it basically means the element didn't meet the requirements of the element in some way. Here's what the rulebook lays out for assigning a ! to the choreo steps:
  • both of the partners are more than 2 meters from one of the barriers
  • a retrogression is performed
  • pattern is repeated as exactly the same as the Step Sequence, even if the ChSt is skated first
  • partners are more than two arms length apart
The last one was a late addition and got a few teams at Skate America. For the teams here, I'd have to rewatch to see why. Nothing really stood out to me.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
For anyone who watched after the medal ceremony on the Skate Canada stream, we got to see Ted interview Jeremy Ten and then Emanuel Sandhu. Both are apparently doing some coaching in the Vancouver area currently, although Jeremy is also working in real estate. Some interesting comments from each.

VGThuy

I’m in love with Piper and Paul’s FD. They come out in pink pastel soft lacy outfits that actually look more late 20th-early 21st century, and you think they’re doing a soft, lyrical piece to a modern love ballad. NOPE! Love that. Loved every moment of their FD. I want it to win Worlds! They also have the only approach the judges table choreo that I think actually works and doesn’t take me out of the program/story.

Lanaghan/Razgulajevs’ “Lord of the Dance” FD was wonderful and had one of the best choreo step sequences and the best sliding choreo move I’ve seen since that became a thing.

The Browns were so much better here than they were at Skate America even with some rough exits here and there. I think I’ll be looking forward to seeing this dance moving forward.

Fear/Gibson will just be what they are and no use complaining about wanting them to be something else or being mad that this judging system rewards their style of programs. I will say it’s developing well and the backwards jump roping in-between the first and second twizzles was a nice touch and a sort of detail in choreo I go nuts for. I just wish they didn’t repeat jump roping later on during the choreo steps. I appreciate that she’s the Rocky here.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I’m in love with Piper and Paul’s FD. They come out in pink pastel soft lacy outfits that actually look more late 20th-early 21st century, and you think they’re doing a soft, lyrical piece to a modern love ballad. NOPE! Love that. Loved every moment of their FD. I want it to win Worlds!
At this point in the season, I agree that Gilles/Poirier's program has the best potential to be truly great at worlds. I think I'd prefer a more period costume look, though.

The Browns were so much better here than they were at Skate America even with some rough exits here and there. I think I’ll be looking forward to seeing this dance moving forward.
I also agree that the Browns' dance has real potential. They've done well with skating to popular music like "Nothing Else Matters", but this program is giving them a chance to develop more of a emotional connection to the program and theme, which isn't necessarily easy to do as a sibling team.
Fear/Gibson will just be what they are and no use complaining about wanting them to be something else or being mad that this judging system rewards their style of programs.
I will never give up advocating for a judging system that better balances the reward of theatrics versus the craft of bladework. :drama:

Dobre

Have to admit my favorite memory of this event is probably going to be the expression on Igor's face when Zingas & Kolesnik's score came up & you knew he wasn't sure that was going to be enough.

Kudos to the Browns for throwing a heck of a wrench into the U.S. dance ranking predictions for this season. (I do think the Beauty & the Beast is a nice vehicle for Z&K. I just don't think they are fully cooked yet & see no reason to pretend so).

Also, it was nice of the Browns to skate well at both SA & SC so we can all adequately estimate the first-to-second event inflation;).

I've other thoughts about lots of teams' performances tonight, but it's too late to write thoughtfully just now.

jlai

Question everything
I admit for this season the interesting things to me to follow is 1) how far can the Brits go to challenge the top, and 2) the internal fight for #2 and 3 among the Americans.

happy for the Browns to do well here.
Would love to see how F/G stack up against the rest.

SkateFanBerlin

I`m not a big Dance person but I have felt G/P have been under appreciated. Today it occured to me why. They dance soft most of the time. They don`t do agressive, fast. Some couples I dislike because their `dance`look like bench presses with the woman thrown around - sort of like Scottish Highland Games. G/P in order to come close to brating C/B need to incorporate more aggresive, angular material into their Free. Even if they aren`t totally comfortable with it.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
This, it basically means the element didn't meet the requirements of the element in some way. Here's what the rulebook lays out for assigning a ! to the choreo steps:
  • both of the partners are more than 2 meters from one of the barriers
  • a retrogression is performed
  • pattern is repeated as exactly the same as the Step Sequence, even if the ChSt is skated first
  • partners are more than two arms length apart
The last one was a late addition and got a few teams at Skate America. For the teams here, I'd have to rewatch to see why. Nothing really stood out to me.

Getting back to this, just rewatched the top Free Dances:

I think Zingas & Kolesnik got an ! on the choreographic steps because they didn't get within two meters of the barrier opposite the judges. It should be noted that if they didn't get an !, they still wouldn't have moved ahead of the Browns. ZingKol would have been within fractions of a point, but not enough to overtake them.

It's really unclear to me what happened with Reed & Ambrulevicius. They were never more than two arms lengths apart. They went barrier to barrier. It went along the short axis, so not the same pattern as the step sequence. So, that leaves a retrogression. The only thing I could see that vaguely could be considered that is toward the end of the choreo steps when she's being pulled away from the judges and they both move back slightly, but at that point the element should be over? Anyone have any ideas?

Icetalavista

Fear Gib are this quad’s polarizing team. I don’t know what ISU’s endgame is with ice dance. They’ve tossed out ballroom, the traditional basis of the sport, for…random clubby/ Broadway dancing? I’m not clear. I don’t think they’re clear what they want either. Makes it even tougher than usual in this most subjective of disciplines for teams to guess what the judges want.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Getting back to this, just rewatched the top Free Dances:

I think Zingas & Kolesnik got an ! on the choreographic steps because they didn't get within two meters of the barrier opposite the judges. It should be noted that if they didn't get an !, they still wouldn't have moved ahead of the Browns. ZingKol would have been within fractions of a point, but not enough to overtake them.
Interestingly, I was reading from someone who was there that said while they enjoyed z/k, they didn't use the ice well at all. They said that z/k only skated past them once in the entire program, and there were parts of the ice they never even touched. So it seems that your reasoning could be correct if they just aren't covering the ice sheet well anyway.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This dress is EXTREMELY unflattering for her.
I agree. Reed had a much nicer dress at Nebelhorn. Sleeker, without the cut-outs. Why did she change it?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I agree. Reed had a much nicer dress at Nebelhorn. Sleeker, without the cut-outs. Why did she change it?
In German we call this kind of act "verschlimmbessern": You want to improve something, but **** it up epically.

barbarafan

That would make all three teams Carol Lane teams? That could be one reason.
Going by career results it would be Molly and Dimitri who would be dropped off which might have made bad feelings in the camp as Dimitri is the coach's son. It is also possible that for a while they weren't sure that Piper and Paul would continue. Rumours were going around that they may retire.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Quite honestly they should have made this an exhibition. I didn't even enjoy it in the cheesy way.
Agree. It's the first time I haven't enjoyed watching Fear/Gibson (leaving aside technical issues).

I wouldn't normally say skaters should change their program once the season has started, because that's a really difficult thing to do, but...
I feel like I should like it more than I actually do. I don’t have it, but I don’t love it? I’m not sure why either. I feel like I’m being told I should and I’m just not there?
Again, agree. I think it might grow on me over the season. Gilles/Poirier skated it well - loved the elegance, lines and use of dance holds, but I'm not sold on it yet. PCS gap between them and Fear/Gibson should have been much bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information