Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Some pics from President Obama and the First Lady's visit to the UK. Prince George is too cute for words.

Indeed, their home looks gracious but so welcoming and comfortable. And is that a stuffed toy on the large ottoman between the couches? Too cute!

Funny what the article points out - that Prince George just scored a trivia point that will be mentioned through to his 90th birthday - he met the President of the United States in his pajamas :)

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Indeed, their home looks gracious but so welcoming and comfortable. And is that a stuffed toy on the large ottoman between the couches? Too cute!

The Obamas gave George the rocking horse he was riding and a stuffed animal replica of their dog Bo. I assumed the stuffed animal was the one from the President and First Lady.

Vagabond

Queen Elizabeth’s Party Planner Is Proud to Wear $35 Shoes

It's an interview with Lady Elizabeth Anson, whose mother was a first cousin of the Queen (and whose stepfather was a Danish prince).

She described how the queen had had her grandchildren over for dinner. “And she said to me that she found it really difficult,” Lady Elizabeth said, “because they didn’t really know how to talk each other. And she said, ‘I suppose it’s because they’re always getting up and down and helping somebody and putting something in a dishwasher or whatever they’re doing, because they don’t have enough staff.’”

:shuffle:

skatesindreams

Interesting that Mrs Obama's dress matches Prince Philip's tie and Mr Obama's tie matches th Queen's suit.
Their "assistants" often ask what visitors will wear on occasions such as this; so that photographs will coordinate well.

I liked Mrs. Obama's outfit.
It conveyed her distinct style; without clashing with others. for just the reasons you mentioned.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
It wasn't that I hated the dress, just that in photos it looks "busy".

skatesindreams

It wasn't that I hated the dress, just that in photos it looks "busy".
She was under pressure to wear something "important" (which usually means detailed/busy); since she was criticized for wearing a JCrew dress and cardigan (too ordinary) during her last visit to the UK!

Catherine M

Got to watch the BBC's special on Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday last night and thought it was very nicely done with all the great home movies. I know she doesn't allow herself to be interviewed but at least she agreed to sit with Prince Charles and comment on some of the clips.

Her mind is still so sharp as that one scene, when Philip's nephew was shown playing with toddler Charles and he didn't recognize which one of his cousins it was but the Queen immediately knew it was Karl, 60+ years later.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm intrigued by their "coffee table" which looks cushioned. I suppose it can double as extra seating at a party?

MsZem

I see the sea
Meanwhile in Sweden, it's the king's 70th birthday celebration. Princess Estelle is of course awesome, Princess Sofia looks wonderful, and Crown Princess Victoria picked a dress with vertical and horizontal stripes. There's also a Prince Oscar sighting and lots of foreign royals.

Cachoo

This is hilarious. Well done to all involved (did Prince Harry put them up to it?)

The Royals and the Obamas appear to get on very well. I'm not familiar enough with past US presidents and their relationship with the Queen and her family. Are most of the relationships this warm?

Lorac

This is hilarious. Well done to all involved (did Prince Harry put them up to it?)

I strongly suspect Harry put the Obamas up to that and persuaded the Queen to play along. Apparently she loved her cameo with James Bond (aka Daniel Craig) during the opening to the London Olympics and also knows how hard Harry works for injured Service Men and Women. QEII has probably decided she can afford to let her hair down a little after now she is 90 :)

I've just got to say what an amazing young man Harry has developed into. As many are aware he had a rough few years having a brush with cannabis and underage drinking (which I though Prince Charles handled very well by getting Harry to attend a rehabilitation clinic hoping the short sharp shock would work - and it did). There were also the Nazi photos that appeared when he wore a Nazi costume to a fancy dress party. He could easy of gone of the rails and become a party prince but then he entered Sandhurst and the military life suited him and that really made him into the man he is today (though he still likes to party as the Vegas phone video showed ;)).

His devotion to the men and women who have served our country is second to none and his insistence that he go and fight in Afghanistan was a credit to him and made those who fought realise he was serious about his service to Queen and country. They couldn't have a better champion IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information