2023 Skate Ontario July Sectional Series/NextGen Competitions July 20 - 23 Ottawa, ON

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, that was really pleasant from Rio Morita, apart from the fall on the 3f! He could be a dark horse podium contender for his two JGPs, depending on how the Japanese, Korean and US men + Rossi compete.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I came in late. I don't think I've ever seen Davey Howes skate before, and he certainly brings the expression voids! I'd be an uber even if James Baldwin wasn't one of his influences.

Morita is terrific, too.

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Men final standings:
RankCompetitorClubSectionTotalShort ProgramFree Program
1Rio MoritaToronto CS & CCON196.1663.98132.18
2David HowesSkate WinnipegMB185.2361.21124.02
3Grayson LongToronto CS & CCON176.8761.57115.3
4Terry JinToronto CS & CCON176.8659.15117.71
5David ShteyngartGloucester Skating ClubON171.3356.41114.92
6Anthony ParadisPatinage des Mille-ÎlesQC163.9960.04103.95
7David BondarGranite ClubON162.847.93114.87
8Alec GuinzbourgGranite ClubON161.5560.45101.1
9David LiConnaught SCBC/YK157.4559.5897.87
10William ChanConnaught SCBC/YK155.6958.0397.66
11Shohei LawChamps International Skating Centre of British ColumbiaBC/YK152.2252.7999.43
12Vladimir FurmanClub de patinage artistique de Saint-Hubert Inc.QC140.5646.7593.81

FP protocols: https://skatecanada.ca/results/c1decfbd-de09-48d8-9a15-efafa6365a40.pdf

Morita's FP: https://cssvideostreaming.blob.core...-216d46019880/video_3500000_1280x720_4500.mp4
4Sq (9.70 bv -1.62 GOE = 8.08), 3A+2T (9.30 bv + 1.33 GOE = 10.63), and 2nd half 3Lz+3T, 3F+1Eu+2S & 3Lo.

Howes' FP: https://cssvideostreaming.blob.core...-440d6af4785b/video_3500000_1280x720_4500.mp4

All the other individual video files are linked from the FP results page.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I attended all 4 of the NextGen events today in person and have just run through the comments above.
One comment to add - Terry Jin couldn't believe that he was only .01 off third place when Joey Russell came to tell him - Terry was sitting with his parents, just in front of me and he was really "blown away".
It was definitely an "early in the season" event for many of the skaters but it was nice to see them all live in preparation for following whoever gets chosen for the JGPs.
It was $5 per day for admission Thursday, Friday, and Saturday but today was actually free (as it was only the Skate Canada event)!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Has Anthony Paradis been injured? He has such beautiful artistry but jumps not there.

David Howes was a nice surprise lovely skater.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I came in late. I don't think I've ever seen Davey Howes skate before, and he certainly brings the expression voids! I'd be an uber even if James Baldwin wasn't one of his influences.

Morita is terrific, too.
There is a lovely article on the Skate Canada site about his Asian heritage and his involvement in the local community. Might be my new favourite, big jump as well going from
Novice to Junior.

Sylvia

TBD
Nice to see the postiive reactions to Davey Howes' skating! :)

Re-posting here from last season's Canadian Men's news thread after Coupe du Luxembourg in March 2023 (international debuts for Chan, Furman and Howes as well as current NextGen skaters Aleksa Volkova, who won the Jr. bronze in LUX, Reese Rose & Megan Woodley; and, in Adv. Novice, Lucille Yang and Mély-Anne Gagner):
Advanced Novice Boys
SILVER for William Chan | 14 | Vancouver, B.C. | Eileen Murphy | Richmond, B.C.
I thought (watching online) that William's basic skating was very impressive re. speed & power relative to his small size, and the judges gave him the highest PCS by far in the field.
Junior Men
10th place Vladimir Furman | 15 | Saint-Hubert, Que. | Marc-André Craig | Saint-Hubert, Que.
5th place for David Howes | 16 | Winnipeg, Man. | Kevin Dawe | Winnipeg, Man.
Thanks to @shutterbug for posting the link to this good Feb. 8th local article on "Davey" Howes (published before he won the Novice national gold medal later in February (I really enjoyed watching his expressive skating in LUX & plan to watch his Novice Nationals programs when I get a chance!):
Excerpts from the article shared by @shutterbug:
“I just love to be on the ice, and I’ve been on it since I was very little. Just the feeling of skating is kind of relieving for me. It’s like a whole separate world, and I can kind of forget about other stress,” he said.
Howes’ mother, Tina Chen, who choreographed his short program said his ability to lose himself in the performance is one of his key strengths.
“When you have a skater who throws themselves into performing a whole program, it can create a really exciting moment on the ice, and he certainly did that in both programs on the weekend. Watching him do that and have so much fun doing it was just a real thrill,” Chen said.
Kevin Dawe, who has been coaching Howes for about six years, said it’s been great to see Howes’ hard work pay off.
“He’s a coach’s dream,” Dawe said. “He works hard. He listens well. He really wants to make the changes. And he’s OK being uncomfortable, which is great.”
Dawe said it’s crucial for a skater to push themselves and extend their limits, and Howes isn’t afraid to do that. He said Howes is seeing the results of hard work tightening up his techniques, which complements his more intangible talents.
“As a skater, he’s got great musicality, and it’s great to see that the technical stuff, the jumps and spins, are really starting to click this year,” he said.
And from the BC section's June 2023 competition:
A few comments/thoughts from yesterday - Uliana Shiryaeva seems to be a fairly solid techinical skater, a little weak on the PCS side, but that's not enormously surprising given she just turned 16 a few days ago. Here is her ISU bio (obviously will need to be updated]: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111180.htm. ... Very pleased to see Davey Howes with the group from the Connaught Skating Club following the departure of his coach Kevin Dawe from Skate Winnipeg. His new SP to "Bella Ciao" by Manu Pilas looks like it will be a lot of fun with a few more miles on it. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information