2023 Skate Ontario July Sectional Series/NextGen Competitions July 20 - 23 Ottawa, ON

shutterbug

Very, very, curious to see K/E's new FP. Choreo from Lane/Razgulajevs tends to be either fabulous or a cheesefest.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Let’s hope the next group is ready as I’m guessing they might be getting a couple each?
Well, clearly Desrochers/Thrasher's costumes aren't ready since they're wearing the same outfits they had on yesterday, lol.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I really like Desrochers/Thrasher together. Their throws were only doubles, and quite "small" still, but they're new and hopefully they'll be able to work out their timing better as they have more experience together.

Karen-W

Kemp/Elizarov - I really like the bones of this program. It'll be great once they add back the tech they had by the end of last season. It does seem like there is some sort of injury issue going on, but they're still my fave of the junior Canadian teams.

Amy L

My guess is that it's Ava's dress that's not ready. For a Bond program, the guy only needs a dress shirt with an added holster.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Whoops, finished way ahead of the music!

I missed all the SPs yesterday, so this is my first time seeing this team. They have tons of potential - their throw 3lo was so good!

Karen-W

AK/L-L - pretty strong skate for a new team. They won't be competitive with a team like Baram/Tioumentsev (and probably also not with Metelkina/Berulava), but they look strong enough to contend with Sierova/Khobta, Williams/Lewer and Flores/Wang and could easily make the JGPF based on what they've done during this weekend.

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Pairs final standings:
RankCompetitorClubSectionTotalShort ProgramFree Program
1Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberté-LaurentClub de patinage artistique de Ville Mont-Royal & Club de patinage artistique de Boucherville inc.QC150.0652.3897.68
2Ava Kemp / Yohnatan ElizarovSkate Winnipeg & Skate WinnipegMB136.0450.7685.28
3Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran ThrasherSkate Oakville & Skate OakvilleON127.1247.2879.84
4Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan TaylorShellbrook SC & Skate ReginaSK120.2246.5173.71
5Lily Wilberforce / Joshua DoreKitchener - Waterloo SC & Gloucester Skating ClubON112.1744.1368.04
6Annika Behnke / Kole SauveSherwood Park FSC & Sherwood Park FSCAB/NT/NU96.3433.6362.71

FP protocols: https://skatecanada.ca/results/5f0dbda4-9c53-4389-8d0b-8d5e90bc0815.pdf

NextGen Starting Orders/Results page: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/alex/cssWebWidget.html?event=94352bbb-d660-4548-989f-0baa95e7223e

Livestream: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mhb44

JUNIOR ICE DANCE FREE DANCE (13:20 – 14:34 ET)
1 Charlotte Chung / Axel MacKenzie [N1] Scarboro FSC & North Toronto SC ON
2 Auréa Cincon-Debout / Earl Jesse Celestino [N3] C.P.A. de Ville Mont-Royal & C.P.A. de Saint-Laurent QC
3 Victoria Carandiuc / Andrei Carandiuc [N2] Patinage Roussillon & Patinage Roussillon QC
4 Jamie Fournier / Everest Zhu [new] C.P.A. de Boucherville inc. & Club de patinag des Deux-Rives QC

5 Layla Veillon / Alexander Frank Brandys [J5] Ilderton SC & Ilderton SC ON
6 Emma Goodstadt / Christian Bennett [new] Scarboro FSC & Scarboro FSC ON
7 Savanna Martel / William Oddson [new] Calalta FSC & Huntington Hills SC AB/NT/NU
8 Dana Sabatini-Speciale / Nicholas Buelow [J6] Toronto CS & CC & Barrie SC ON
9 Chloe Nguyen / Brendan Giang [new; he was J3] Ice Palace FSC & Champs International SC of British Columbia BC/YK

Karen-W

Chung/MacKenzie win me over right from the start with an "Enchanted" FD. Talk about an under-utilized soundtrack, especially for ice dancing.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I just finished watching the junior women's free on replay. A shaky event but some nice performances from the last group. I'm wondering about Shiryaeva (first of all she did not look happy with her marks). Is she eligible to represent Canada? When the stream showed the final results on screen, she was skipped and Hetty Shi's name was listed third, but with a 4 before it. A technical glitch (there have been many) or what? The announcer said her name when saying the unofficial standings.

The first JGP entires were due Friday so it will be interesting to see who Skate Canada submitted for the women. Last year they sent Pereira to the first event but she did not have a good result at the next gen event, but she was the top Canadian at jr worlds that year so not unreasonable. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hetty Shi or Kara Yun entered in the first event based on last season's results (Canadian jr champion for Shi and highest JGP scorer for Yun). Yun and McLeod did not look happy in the kiss'n'cry today. Her free skate score was over 20 points lower than what she got on the JGP last year. I think Lin and Théroux should definitely get an assignment too and Shiryaeva if she is eligible. Skate Canada sent six different women to JGP last year (no one got two events) and three others got a jr international.

Were there any glitches on the live stream? During Landry's skate on the replay it skipped ahead and missed an element and it skipped during Lin's skate missing her first jump combo.

Karen-W

I'm wondering about Shiryaeva (first of all she did not look happy with her marks). Is she eligible to represent Canada? When the stream showed the final results on screen, she was skipped and Hetty Shi's name was listed third, but with a 4 before it. A technical glitch (there have been many) or what? The announcer said her name when saying the unofficial standings.
I believe that she has her release. I cannot imagine Skate Canada inviting her to participate in the Next Gen Camp without all her paperwork in order to allow her to represent Canada internationally.

Karen-W

That was a rather abrupt, pointless ending to Nguyen/Giang's program - which seemed to be your generic, romantic, pretty-pretty program. It's good enough to get them a couple of JGP assignments, but it won't make them stand out against the international field.

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Chung/MacKenzie's FD score has been fixed - final Junior Dance standings:

RankCompetitorClubSectionTotalRhythm DanceFree Dance
1Chloe Nguyen / Brendan GiangIce Palace FSC & Champs International Skating Centre of British ColumbiaBC/YK154.3564.0690.29
2Dana Sabatini-Speciale / Nicholas BuelowToronto CS & CC & Barrie SCON146.9361.0285.91
3Savanna Martel / William OddsonCalalta FSC & Huntington Hills SCAB/NT/NU135.2857.3177.97
4Emma Goodstadt / Christian BennettScarboro FSC & Scarboro FSCON132.2955.6776.62
5Layla Veillon / Alexander Frank BrandysIlderton SC & Ilderton SCON132.0950.1281.97
6Jamie Fournier / Everest ZhuClub de patinage artistique de Boucherville inc. & Club de patinage des Deux-RivesQC126.6848.7677.92
7Victoria Carandiuc / Andrei CarandiucPatinage Roussillon & Patinage RoussillonQC115.5745.5270.05
8Charlotte Chung / Axel MacKenzieScarboro FSC & North Toronto SCON108.2845.2263.06
9Auréa Cincon-Debout / Earl Jesse CelestinoClub de patinage artistique de Ville Mont-Royal & Club de patinage artistique de Saint-LaurentQC106.8345.4761.36

FD protocols link to be edited in when up

ICYMI, Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow were pre-assigned to JGP #3 in Istanbul (July 13th post): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...e-dance-news-and-updates.110804/#post-6448972

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
NextGen Starting Orders/Results page: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/alex/cssWebWidget.html?event=94352bbb-d660-4548-989f-0baa95e7223e

Livestream: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mhb44

JUNIOR MEN FREE PROGRAM (15:05 – 16:35)
1 Vladimir Furman [N2] Club de patinage artistique de Saint-Hubert Inc. QC (eta) - Pearl Harbor film soundtrack
2 David Bondar [J13] Granite Club ON (eta) - music from Pirates of the Caribbean
3 Shohei Law [J8] Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia BC/YK - "Wish You The Best" by Lewis Capaldi
4 David Shteyngart [J6] Gloucester Skating Club ON
5 William Chan [N4] Connaught SC BC/YK - Elton John/Rocketman medley of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Sorry seems to be the hardest word/I'm Still Standing
6 Terry Jin [J7] Toronto CS & CC ON (eta) - Black Swan/Swan Lake

7 David Li [J5] Connaught SC BC/YK - last season's La Boheme by Charles Aznavour
8 Anthony Paradis [J3] Patinage des Mille-Îles QC - preview of his FS & costume to "Yours" by Conan Gray: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu95rWHglra/
9 Alec Guinzbourg [S13] Granite Club ON (eta) - last season's Piano Concerto Nos. 1 & 3 by Sergei Rachmaninov
10 David Howes [N1] Skate Winnipeg MB (eta) - last season's "Io Ci Sarò" by Andrea Bocelli & Lang Lang
11 Grayson Long [J2] Toronto CS & CC ON - Queen medley to Now I'm Here/Love of My Life/Somebody to Love
12 Rio Morita [J4] Toronto CS & CC ON - Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Last edited:

shutterbug

Fantastic performance by David B! Like everything about it, including the costume. I'm betting he's landing the 3A in practice fairly regularly.

shutterbug

Lovely and clean skate from Terry Jin. :) Off the top of my head I don't recall a male skater using Black Swan (at least recently), but he did a very nice job with the interpretation.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Did they not put up junior free dance replays? I had to go out and was hoping I could catch up later, but I get an error page when I try to access them on the site.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Did they not put up junior free dance replays? I had to go out and was hoping I could catch up later, but I get an error page when I try to access them on the site.
From the next gen event? Does this link work for you?

Karen-W

Anthony Paradis and Douglas Gerber of New Zealand appear to be each other's spirit animals, fashion-wise at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information