2022 U.S. Club & NQS Competitions

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Emilia (Milly) Murdock in mauve chiffon. R&J “Kissing You”…
First 3ple good…3lz-3toe barely. 2 ax wonky lading…trend continues.
Seems to have more speed than most others. Nice low sit spin. Very pretty footwork to lyrical music. Basically, well done!

136.34. Into 2nd

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Starr next! 🤞

Big cheers. Lovely lyrical music. Je Suis Malade.

3 flip fall
Pops 2nd 3ple pass
2 axel ok - bit squirly land
A great 3ple-into 2 axel!!!!
Next 2 jump passes seem good!
Gorgeous Biellman spin.
Fab choreo sequence with spirals, in time to music!
Footwork into last spin. Super!

Last half solid. Enough?

158.59 first!

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Elizabeth Hong in red-black, skating to classical piano-orchestral. Trouble with jump landings… but a pretty presence out there (minus jumps). Not her day…

101. 07 12th

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Last to skate: Nicole Park (currently 3rd)

Queen’s Gambit…sparkly charcoal dress

Lots of excellent tight triples!!! Seems like the strongest to the top women here, so far…then a weak landing as I type…then another solid 3ple.

Really emotional choreo to violin music!

Gorgeous spins and long lines. WOWEE!!! Overall, SUPERB.

Second with 153+. Hmmm… oh well, STARR WINS by about 5 pts. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Last to skate: Nicole Park (currently 3rd)

Queen’s Gambit…sparkly charcoal dress

Lots of excellent tight triples!!! Seems like the strongest to the top women here, so far…then a weak landing as I type…then another solid 3ple.

Really emotional choreo to violin music!

Gorgeous spins and long lines. WOWEE!!! Overall, SUPERB.

Second with 153+. Hmmm… oh well, STARR WINS by about 5 pts. Mission accomplished.
Not sure I'd call it "mission accomplished" when the executed jump elements reads like this:

3F - fall
1F
2A
3T+2A
3Lo+1Eu<+2S
3S+2T
3Lo

Hopefully she'll be better next week.

Frau Muller

Not sure I'd call it "mission accomplished" when the executed jump elements reads like this:

3F - fall
1F
2A
3T+2A
3Lo+1Eu<+2S
3S+2T
3Lo

Hopefully she'll be better next week.

Well, Starr won a competition but, yeah, it doesn’t bode well for a high placement at Nebelhorn later this week…against the likes of Hendrickx, Petrokina and Mikutina…or even Schizas, Van Zundert and two Koreans…

Too, Gracie Gold has recently scored quite a bit higher than did Starr tonight.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I wouldn’t shed tears for Starr. She’s the one US female skater with sponsors and TV spots. I think that, regardless of technical abilities in comparison to others, the commercial powers-that-be want to spotlight her. Heck, she’s on the grid now for two (2) GP events + Nebelhorn and ??? It doesn’t matter if she’s on the GP grid as a substitute or whatever; she is ON the grid twice (SkCanada and NHK).

It makes me think about the ballerina Misty Copeland, who has less classical technical ability than every other female principal at ABT but gets all of the ads and publicity…and packed-in the non-traditional audiences at the Met before going on a long maternity leave that continues.

In Starr’s case - sport, rather than ballet - she’ll eventually have to SHOW RESULTS or the average public may figure out the truth. At least with this win in Pasadena, the sponsors can get some nice footage of Starr atop a podium with a gold medal around her neck. That’s what I was celebrating last night, even though I recognize Sylvia’s and Karen-W’s points about it not being a true victory in the international context.

Frau Muller

Couple of Qs related to this year’s three Sectionals:

1. Why are they being held at the same time? All commence Nov 8; finish on slightly different days.

See bottom of this schedule:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/sit...files/USFA_NatQualifySeries_Calendar_2022.jpg

2. Is Peacock streaming them? If so, will there be replays or are we supposed to choose which one to attend? Or will the schedules will be coordinated so that no two events, across Sections, occur at the same time?

Thanks, in advance, for answers & clarifications!

gkelly

Couple of Qs related to this year’s three Sectionals:

1. Why are they being held at the same time? All commence Nov 8; finish on slightly different days.

I don't know what the reasoning in, but this is nothing new. E.g., four years ago: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/2019-u-s-sectional-championships/

2. Is Peacock streaming them?

I haven't checked.

If so, will there be replays or are we supposed to choose which one to attend? Or will the schedules will be coordinated so that no two events, across Sections, occur at the same time?

The schedules will not be coordinated. Each chief referee will make their own schedule based on the needs of that competition.

Don't you remember following live threads in previous (pre-pandemic) years, with posters flipping back and forth between streams to catch skaters of note in each section?

Frau Muller

I don't know what the reasoning in, but this is nothing new. E.g., four years ago: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/2019-u-s-sectional-championships/

I haven't checked.

The schedules will not be coordinated. Each chief referee will make their own schedule based on the needs of that competition.

Don't you remember following live threads in previous (pre-pandemic) years, with posters flipping back and forth between streams to catch skaters of note in each section?
Thank you.

As to flipping back and forth, I can only watch in a relaxing manner…but I have my iPhone handy to check scores from other events during the ice-resurfacing time of whatever I’m watching on my main device (usually big TV in living room). My beautiful home is not Mission Control Cape Canaveral. Watching skating is a joy - not a chore. :)

Frau Muller

Cleo Park's total score of 163.02 today (previous NQS high was 158.18) is WAY above the ordinary in Novice - 7 triples cleanly landed: 3F, 3Lz+2T, 3T, 3Lz, 3Lo+2A+2A (12.65 BV+ 0.49 GOE = 13.14 pts), 3Lo+2T & 3S - impressive!!
……

Back to Pasadena and the impressive Novice winner, Cleo Park…
If anybody has or can provide a link to Cleo’s FS last Sunday, I’d love to have. I wasn’t recording Novices, which I regret, as she turned out to be quite special.

Also, having spent so much time working in Egypt…I couldn’t help but think of a great potential sponsor for Cleo, if/when she becomes an international star:

Sylvia

TBD
Bradie Tennell and Sonja Hilmer will skate at the Austin Autumn Classic later this week!
Both registered for Austin but it's possible neither will show up (Sonja may need a break from competing and Bradie is back in Nice, France, last I saw per her Instagram stoiries). ETA - THANKS for the heads up @ptvvibezz that the starting orders are posted. :)

Here's the link to all the Austin Autumn Classic starting orders: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30869/index.asp

Hannah Herrera is listed in Junior, along with Phoebe Stubblefield: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30869/CAT007SEG011.html
Naomi Williams (now skating Junior pairs with Lachlan Lewer) also is listed for the Junior Women's SP at this time.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Starting orders are now posted for Challenge Cup in Ardmore, PA: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30712/index.asp

There are 2 groups of Senior women and Gracie Gold is listed in group A but she will be competing at Nebelhorn Trophy this week.

Senior Rhythm Dance: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30712/CAT019SEG037.html
1 Leah Krauskopf, University of Delaware FSC / YuanShi Jin, Los Angeles FSC
2 Klara Kowar, Aspen SC / Thomas Schwappach, Broadmoor SC
3 Angela Ling, Peninsula SC / Caleb Wein, Washington FSC
4 Raffaella Koncius, Los Angeles FSC / Alexey Shchepetov, Florida Everblades FSC
5 Cara Murphy, Arctic FSC / Joshua Levitt, Pittsburgh FSC

6 Nicole Takahashi, Individual Member / Shiloh Judd, Richmond FSC
7 Riona Harris, Georgia FSC / Tyler Vollmer, Los Angeles FSC
8 Caroline Depietri, SC of Boston / TJ Carey, SC of Boston
9 Isabella Flores, Thunderbirds FSC / Ivan Desyatov, Thunderbirds FSC
10 Maria Bjorkli, Norwegian Skating Association / James Koszuta, Norwegian Skating Association

Frau Muller

I see that Sonja Hilmer is shown as “withdrawn” from the start order for the Austin NQS (today’s Sr W combined SPs). Hope she’s ok…maybe decided that previous scores will hold up or she’s competing internationally soon? Bradie Tennell and other notables still in the line-up!

Sylvia

TBD
Both [Hilmer & Tennell] registered for Austin but it's possible neither will show up (Sonja may need a break from competing and Bradie is back in Nice, France, last I saw per her Instagram stories).
Update: Sonja currently is training at home in Colorado Springs and Bradie is still in France (latest IG story shows her at the beautiful rink that was the practice rink for 2012 Worlds in Nice) - ETA - and preparing for the Japan Open per her latest Instagram post today.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

So whoever is manning the Austin NQS start-orders board needs to remove Bradie’s name & mark it as “WD” just as they did for Sonja (shown at the bottom of the start order as “WD”).

Sylvia

TBD
So whoever is manning the Austin NQS start-orders board needs to remove Bradie’s name & mark it as “WD” just as they did for Sonja (shown at the bottom of the start order as “WD”).
As I understand it, skaters or coaches have to notify the competition organizers of their official withdrawal(s) before the competition accountants can list a skater as WD in the starting order.

It looks like Hilmer has done so but Tennell has not, so the latter's name will stay in the starting order until the event gets underway/goes live (Gracie Gold is still listed in the SP group A starting order in Ardmore, PA as well).

jlai

Question everything
Hannah Herrera landed her jumps but a bit jerky on the landings. Jordan Scott’s jumps looked good.
Lily was pleased with her skate and had a fist pump in the end.

Pierce landed her jumps and was first in sr women. Murdock didn’t land her 2a cleanly and there was something else that I forgot.

Last edited:

AYS

🌻
I was able to attend the Challenge Cup FD and I just have to say Flores/Desyatov are exquisite. I got emotional from their performance. 107 pts after a couple months together, I can't wait to watch them develop, they are special. Sorry, I don't know what they skated to.

Very nice skate from Ling/Wein also; it brought back fond memories to watch an Abbey Road FD in the same rink Kim/Brent trained their gorgeous Beatles FD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information