2022–23 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
“As the next part of the selection process, please submit a 1500 word essay on why you think you would be the better representative for Canada at Worlds 2023. Please have this submitted within the next 24 hours.” :lol:

It seriously wouldn’t surprise me at this point. :lol:

Poor Conrad. Hope he gets the nod soon.
Don't forget the citations, they are 20% of the mark. :p

puglover

Meagan D. said she thought SC should choose whoever stood the best chance with the short program as the second man. I think that would still be Conrad.

screech

Meagan D. said she thought SC should choose whoever stood the best chance with the short program as the second man. I think that would still be Conrad.
I agree. Though Stephen had a spin voided, he skated clean. Even if he received points for the spin, he still would have had a score lower than Conrad, who had an error on a jump.

livetoskate

Here's Keegan's gala performance to Lion King. He's so entertaining- I hope he's invited to skate in all SOI shows. He's better than Kurt Browning, who I think is retiring soon.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Here's Keegan's gala performance to Lion King. He's so entertaining- I hope he's invited to skate in all SOI shows. He's better than Kurt Browning, who I think is retiring soon.

Great program from Keegan…but looking at the almost-empty stands is depressing. A few nice loud yellers, though.

Cant Skate

Also here:

Sylvia

TBD
According to this, and this, Matthew Newnham (Sr Nats 6) and David Howes (Nov Nats 1) have been assigned to Coupe de Printemps in Luxembourg next month. :)
Also William Chan in Novice, according to his club's post 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpBmUHqPTtn/

ETA: William won the bronze at Novice Nationals. I've created a competition thread for Coupe du Printemps in the Kiss & Cry section.

Last edited:

screech

Wesley Chiu wasn't perfect in the SP (LUCKY hands-down save on the first jump of his combo), but he's sitting in second place with 80.56, about 4.5 points behind Kao Miura.
I couldn't find Aleksa or Edward's programs on youtube, but per the protocols, Aleksa skated fairly well and lies 11th with 71.34. Edward DNQ for the FP, finishing 27th with 57.22, and per the protocols, had some mistakes.

pointbleu

Wesley Chiu wasn't perfect in the SP (LUCKY hands-down save on the first jump of his combo), but he's sitting in second place with 80.56, about 4.5 points behind Kao Miura.
I couldn't find Aleksa or Edward's programs on youtube, but per the protocols, Aleksa skated fairly well and lies 11th with 71.34. Edward DNQ for the FP, finishing 27th with 57.22, and per the protocols, had some mistakes.
You can watch the whole event in replay on the ISU YouTube channel

Sylvia

TBD
... Matthew Newnham (Sr Nats 6) and David Howes (Nov Nats 1) have been assigned to Coupe de Printemps in Luxembourg next month. :)
Also William Chan in Novice, according to his club's post 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpBmUHqPTtn/

ETA: William won the bronze at Novice Nationals. I've created a competition thread for Coupe du Printemps in the Kiss & Cry section.
The 4th man assigned to Luxembourg (March 17-19) is Vladimir Furman, Novice silver medalist.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's recap of Coupe du Printemps this past weekend: https://skatecanada.ca/2023/03/three-medals-for-canada-at-coupe-du-printemps/ in Luxembourg

Advanced Novice Boys
SILVER for William Chan | 14 | Vancouver, B.C. | Eileen Murphy | Richmond, B.C.
I thought (watching online) that William's basic skating was very impressive re. speed & power relative to his small size, and the judges gave him the highest PCS by far in the field.

Junior Men
10th place Vladimir Furman | 15 | Saint-Hubert, Que. | Marc-André Craig | Saint-Hubert, Que.
5th place for David Howes | 16 | Winnipeg, Man. | Kevin Dawe | Winnipeg, Man.
Thanks to @shutterbug for posting the link to this good Feb. 8th local article on "Davey" Howes (published before he won the Novice national gold medal later in February (I really enjoyed watching his expressive skating in LUX & plan to watch his Novice Nationals programs when I get a chance!):

Senior men
BRONZE for Matthew Newnham | 20 | St Albert, Alta. | Jessica Gosse | Edmonton, Alta.
Skate Canada tweeted this quote from him afterwards: "I am very pleased with how the two programs went this week. I wanted to feel like I accomplished feeling normal in an international setting and it felt very much like me competing."
Proud coach Ravi Walia (who stayed home to prepare Conrad Orzel for Worlds) shared this photo of Matthew after the medal ceremony: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp_sfBuLEsb/

Choreographer Lance Vipond talked about working with Conrad Orzel and shared some of his thoughts about his progress this season in Skate Ontario's #3Turn3 that was livestreamed last week -- starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_Q9-_3IaY&t=1045s

screech

KEEEEEEEEGAN! I personally don't get all the fuss over Junhwan Cha, so I really want Keegan to replicate his 4CC FP and make it to the podium. If you are in Canada, his PB short program starts at about 4h30 here (Conrad is at about 35 min). The difference between 3rd and 4th in the SP was that he got level 3 on his step sequence. Sadly, he forgot to bring his phone to the K&C so no baby photos this time.

The FP will be interesting. You have Shoma, who pulled it off in the SP but is injured. Ilia who has the highest technical capability but struggles with putting two back to back programs. Jun, who's PB could have him up there. Keegan, who has the 3rd highest overall score of all the men competing (but rarely pulls off two great performances), and you can't rule out Jason, as his quality and 2nd mark can sneak him in there if the skaters above him falter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information