2024 Canadian Championships Sr Men FS - Arctic outflow, extreme cold

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I fell asleep at 5pm so missed the chicken farmers and the hot mess that was this competition and I totally ruined my weekend damn it

kylet3

If Paradis gets the more difficult jumps, look out. He’s only 16 but he’s so unique, but he will need them to get out of Canada. I think Orzel and Chiu are the most likely bets, granted everyone is consistently wildly inconsistent so it’s a crap shoot.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
PCS ranking:

1 Sadovsky 79.09

2 Paradis 78.86

3 Chiu 76.72

4 Rakic 75.16

5 Waddell 73.27

6 Orzel 72.20

7 Newnham 71.97

8 Guinzbourg 68.13

9 Morita 66.36 1

10 Mogilen 65.50

11 Goyette 61.74

12 Bueckert 56.71

13 Scott 50.92

Last edited:

fsfann

In some parts of Canada (specifically 8 rinks, Vancouver), this is considered pure and classic axel technique.
Only in Joanne McLeods world. Fortunately I feel like we have avoided her loony toony-ness in the past couple of years. I haven’t missed that at all.

Kateri

void beast
Oh my god, what happened in here last night?! Anthony Paradis medalled with a -5 point interruption?! I ADORE Anthony, but his jump content is not that advanced. Gosh. Well. :eek:

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Looking at the protocols, there's an argument for leaving the title or possibly the entire podium vacant. What a mess. Not a clean triple axel or quad in the free skate from any of the medallists. I wonder when the last time that happened was - the early 1980s? 1970s? Not joking.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Wesley won! So “Go-Go” is “No-Go-Go” now? What an odd competition.

skategal

Bunny mama
Looking at the protocols, there's an argument for leaving the title or possibly the entire podium vacant. What a mess. Not a clean triple axel or quad in the free skate from any of the medallists. I wonder when the last time that happened was - the early 1980s? 1970s? Not joking.
It’s not that these guys can’t do the jumps, but they are NOT doing the jumps this week.

Competing with consistency is a huge issue for most of them.

Whoever said upthread that they need Elvis to come and be their mind coach is probably on the right track here.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
It’s not that these guys can’t do the jumps, but they are NOT doing the jumps this week.

Competing with consistency is a huge issue for most of them.

Whoever said upthread that they need Elvis to come and be their mind coach is probably on the right track here.
Yeah based on practices they can do them the two kids on the podium but they are just out of juniors and not consistent. The older guys had unfortunate issues, Gogo didn’t even go to all the practices and did double jumps an was in obvious pain, being a back sufferer I can’t even imagine. Roman was hit a miss he could do the quads a jumps outside his solo but not in it, needs more competition experience and more training time as he was off injured quite a while. Conrad also has the jumps but I think nerves an lack of actual onsite coaching with school etc played a part. I am sure the lack of audience didnt help either, which is a shame as the venue was wonderful an very well organized. But was also minus 40 with the wind so not exactly appealing to sit in a rink. I dont think the sky is falling just a lot of unfortunate circumstance.

pat c

I am sure the lack of audience didnt help either, which is a shame as the venue was wonderful an very well organized. But was also minus 40 with the wind so not exactly appealing to sit in a rink. I dont think the sky is falling just a lot of unfortunate circumstance.
One thing to note is when it is that cold, you're going to have to run outside (if you drove) and start your car every couple of hours. That is limiting, so you'll only do that for so long. I am not surprised that it would be well organized. :)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
One thing to note is when it is that cold, you're going to have to run outside (if you drove) and start your car every couple of hours. That is limiting, so you'll only do that for so long. I am not surprised that it would be well organized. :)
They just leave the shuttles running and yes I suggested to some of the Ontario fans with their car rental to do that. Just lousy timing with the weather.

skatingguy

decently
1995? Sebastien Britten won the title that year because Stojko was out with injury, and Britten didn't have either triple Axel, or quad.

skatingguy

decently

1995? Sebastien Britten won the title that year because Stojko was out with injury, and Britten didn't have either triple Axel, or quad.

Ravia Walia won the bronze that year :)
And here is the TV coverage of the 1995 Canadian Figure Skating Championships Men's Free Skate

Sebastien Britten won the event with 2 falls, and his hardest jump was triple Lutz.
Other skaters featured that year included Ravi Walia, and David Pelletier.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
Paradis was great :inavoid:

at only 16 he has still the time to develop more jumps but since what he does otherwise takes up a lot of training time and effort in the program as well, I am not sure that he will .Which would be a shame, he needs more international exposure. He probably does not have any minimums and will not be sent to 4CC? I know he did JGP but since the minimums are tough, I do not expect him to have earned them?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
He probably does not have any minimums and will not be sent to 4CC? I know he did JGP but since the minimums are tough, I do not expect him to have earned them?
JGP and junior scores in general don't count for senior competitions (where there are minimum TES standards).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The jumps that Anthony does have were beautifully executed, with excellent flow and control going into them and out of them - unlike almost all of his competitors with "more difficult" jumps. And his PCS and GOE reflected that. Let's recognize that he already jumps very well, before suggesting that he "needs" other jumps.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
The jumps that Anthony does have were beautifully executed, with excellent flow and control going into them and out of them - unlike almost all of his competitors with "more difficult" jumps. And his PCS and GOE reflected that. Let's recognize that he already jumps very well, before suggesting that he "needs" other jumps.

Anthony had errors and negative GOE on two out of three jumping passes in the short program, with the only clean pass being a double axel. In the free, he singled one jump (second lutz) and botched another (triple loop).

In his JGP, he finished 16th, missing all three jumping passes in the short program with major errors on 6 out of 7 jumping passes in the free skate, with only the double axel being clean.

He's a great performer, deserves good PCS, and good GOE when he does the jumps, but IMO it's a bit much to say he "jumps well." Putting aside the errors, the quality is OK, but there's not a lot of height or room for another rotation on the axel or toe.

Good for him for skating seniors at Nationals, but if he wants to skate in seniors internationally, triple lutz is not going to cut it. He absolutely does "need" more jumps if his goal is to qualify at Worlds or place somewhere other than last in a Grand Prix.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I am sure the lack of audience didnt help either, which is a shame as the venue was wonderful an very well organized. But was also minus 40 with the wind so not exactly appealing to sit in a rink. I dont think the sky is falling just a lot of unfortunate circumstance.

And, unlike previous years, Skate Canada didn't sell all-event passes, just per-day tickets. As it turned out, getting a seat at any of the events wouldn't have been a problem - but I would like to see all-event passes offered again. It might attract spectators who aren't sure they can attend a specific event, but would pay for the flexibility to attend whenever they could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information