All Thing PBS

emason

I didn't like the book that much either, but felt the opposite of you. I thought the mystery was well done, but that everything else did not in any way capture Pemberley or the Darcys; I thought it was bad fan fiction. I am, however, looking forward to seeing it.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm hoping I'll be able to watch it via the PBS app on the Apple TV because we don't have Dish anymore, and my antenna doesn't get PBS. Plus, I need to be able to watch it on-demand. It's too difficult for me to see things live. :p

Artemis@BC

I didn't like the book that much either, but felt the opposite of you. I thought the mystery was well done ....

For me it was the 60 pages of trial details and exposition-resolution that did me in on the mystery front -- way too much tell, not enough show. But I think that problem could be resolved nicely in a TV adaptation.

dinakt

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/03/b...tml?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=nytimesarts&_r=0

‘Masterpiece’ Franchise on PBS Is Adding Broadcasts
By ELIZABETH JENSENNOV. 2, 2014
Thank you!
I am looking forward to "Wolf Hall" adaptation. Tried to read it, but as it is mostly based on extended dialogues, it lagged for me and I dropped it... but have since wondered if I should give it another go. Perhaps BBC makes a stellar adaptation, the "Times of Henry VIII according to Cromwell" is an intriguing prospect.

Artemis@BC

I'm really looking forward to Worricker on Masterpiece this Sunday: it's a followup to Page Eight from a few years ago, the spy drama starting Bill Nighy. Two of my very favourite things together in one package.

I just picked up Page Eight from the library and am going to try to find time to watch it again before the new episodes begin. I remember liking it, but I don't remember any details about it at all ...

There will be two, 2-hour episodes beginning this Sunday.

(Edited to correct spelling of Worricker.)

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I will watch Death at Pemberley. I love Anna Maxwell Martin - she's been so good in several PBS series.
The whole time I watched my main question wasn't: who is the killer? It was: When will Mrs. Darcy have something decent to wear?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The whole time I watched my main question wasn't: who is the killer? It was: When will Mrs. Darcy have something decent to wear?

What, you're not into dressing to blend in with your wallpaper and your couch? ;)

A.H.Black

I found it sort of confusing and rushed. It took me till part two to sort out Fitzwilliam, Darcy and Wickham. I'm not up on my British actors and I found them all sort of running together for a while. Then it sort of rushed along; not taking time to settle, or define character. The part that really bothered me was Elizabeth jumping up on the scaffold at the end declaring Wickham's innocence. That scene plus the bedroom scene would have made Jane Austen turn over in her grave.

For me the characters were often wrong. Elizabeth didn't sparkle and she wasn't allowed any wit. Lydia came off way to0 self-aware, and even sympathetic in the end. Wickham was too sympathetic as well.

viennese

wrecked
I can cope with sexy Austen. The Andrew Davies adaptations are fairly racy.
But Elizabeth jumping up on the scaffold and setting it all straight, that was...over the top.

skatesindreams

I'm really looking forward to Worricker on Masterpiece this Sunday: it's a followup to Page Eight from a few years ago, the spy drama starting Bill Nighy. Two of my very favourite things together in one package.

I just picked up Page Eight from the library and am going to try to find time to watch it again before the new episodes begin. I remember liking it, but I don't remember any details about it at all ...

There will be two, 2-hour episodes beginning this Sunday.

(Edited to correct spelling of Worricker.)

This is excellent
One more episode, this coming Sunday,.

Skate Talker

Luckily for me, my PBS station showed Page Eight a week before the newer episodes. I did not even know it was so old, though obviously there was a gap between lensings.

cygnus

I'm both looking forward to, and dreading, the new Poldark. I just hope that they do the books, and the scenery justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information