World of Dance

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I mostly enjoyed the premier last night. There are 3 divisions; junior (under 18), upper (18+, 4 or fewer dancers) and team (18+, 5 or more). The competitors in the first qualifier were Super Cr3w, Amanda & D'Angelo, Les Twins, Nxt Lvl (cut), Keone & Mari, Kinjaz, and Diana Pombo.

To my eyes, Kinjaz absolutely KILLED. My second favorite was Keone & Mari. I was a bit disappointed in Diana's performance. For such a highly touted junior contemporary dancer, she had a fairly limited toolbox. Lots of extension and facial angst, but little in the way of turns and she wasn't able to take advantage of the stage.

To enhance my viewing pleasure, I fast forwarded through most of Hough's comments. NeYo had a good start. JLo was a bit too animated, but she's the producer, so I expected her to be wildly enthusiastic.

All in all, I think it's a good concept.

Skate Talker

Hmm - Just finished watching. Kinjaz might have been my least favourite, though I don't think the lighting was very helpful. It was all so dark and monochromatic that it was hard to actually see all that they were doing. Not sure though if I actually had a favourite - all were good but I don't know that any left a real lasting impression.
Pluses - so far what has made it through editing has been fairly brief judges comments and though still too much for my taste, less excessive behind the scenes fluff than usual for these shows.

(Pet peeve - I blame the pattern set by Who Wants to be a Millionaire for slow pacing on game/contest programs. I found the 3 questions in 30 minutes pace to be totally unwatchable. For me that program was one-and-done. I guess I am the impatient sort. I would even axe the brief contestant interviews on Jeopardy if I had my way.)

love skating

Clueless American
I enjoyed it cause I love dance programs. But because I love dance programs I've seen like half of the contestants already either on America's Best Dance Crew , SYTYCD or America's Got Talent or some other program. I noticed Fik-Shun from SYTYCD though he didn't dance last night, wondering if he will be part of a group or dance solo in some future episode. He was always one of my favorites. I don't really get Les Twins - I mean they're good but I don't get why everyone is so in awe of them... they left me kinda flat. I also hate the camera showing judges' reactions during the performance... annoys me in all shows that do that but esp. during a dance performance.... during a singing one I can forgive, but really it's unnecessary. At any rate I'll keep watching cause I love dance!

I thought the ballroom dancers last night weren't as good as the judges made them seem. Especially the girl seemed kind of weak to me but I know next to nothing about ballroom so I might be totally off. The young bendy girl didn't seem that good either. I wish they didn't have kids on, I can't help but roll my eyes at the parents, and it's a lot harder to judge kids. I did really like the married couple.

I'll probably watch again, because I like dance shows, but I hope there's more dance and less talk at some point. It'll probably be one I end up PVRing so I can skip the fluff.

Aceon6

The full list of contestants is here. As it's supposed to be a "best in the world" comp, I'm not put off with all the known talent. I've probably seen at least half of them either on another comp show or in music videos, but it doesn't matter. Most of them have been off TV for a few years, so it's interesting to see where they've taken things. Super Cr3w, for example, was very raw on ABDC. The more mature version is tighter and uses more subtlety.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Watching it on m dvr tonight and I totally don't get the love for Les Twins or bendy girl (especially her speech about JLo). My favorite was probably the married couple.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm really enjoying this show as well. I like seeing so many different styles of dance and I've even enjoyed the ones who didn't make it through to the next round. The junior talent is quite good IMO but I don't really have a big favorite overall yet. I really enjoyed Eva Igo, the three sisters (whose name I cannot spell, LOL), and the married ballroom couple on tonight's show. I think this a great summer show and the perfect follow up show for AGT. :cheer:

BaileyCatts

What was the last girl's name so I can go find it on You Tube? I only heard the comments, didn't see.

Aceon6

Did anyone noticed all of the little mistakes in Jabbawockeez routine? I was pleasantly surprised that they weren't gifted scores in the 90s. They're going to have to clean things up in the next round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information