Word Games

Jenny

From the Bloc
This one worked out nicely for me thanks to my first word, because after the second word, once I had the consonants where I wanted them, two of the three options for the vowel had already been eliminated in the first word:

Wordle 404 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

TAUPE POINT STOMP

If anyone else is willing to share their thought process or even just their actual words I'd be very interested! Sometimes I look at your results and try and work it backwards to guess what your first word was :)

Last edited:

antmanb

Not to be that guy but maybe any analysis could be put behind the spoiler tags just on the off chance that you might be giving something away? Not particularly your post jenny but i've seen a few "the double letter nearly threw me off" type posts and it would be nice to avoid giveaways.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree @antmanb, which is why I never look at this thread until I've done my own puzzle, and why my husband has long known to not give even the slightest hints at Christmastime because I'm a very good guesser :lol:

I've put my vague but yes slightly hinting analysis in spoiler tags now too.

Jenny

From the Bloc
While I agree there is some luck involved, don't underestimate yourself :) Aside from the 4 letters you eliminated in the first guess, there's your experience playing the game on a daily basis that helps your thought process, sometimes in subtle ways I think.

Susan1

Wordle 404 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I am not going to share my first word. I've used the same one since 5/3. I used "story" for my first word every time beginning in January. I was afraid to change it because it might someday be the right word and I would have missed it. It was "the" word on 5/2. My only "1". Now I can't change my new first word for the same reason.

I don't analyze it or spend a lot of time on it. I will say that I noticed some time ago that more words have an "i" or an "o" around the middle than "a" or "e". Hardly ever any "u"s. So, the next five words will have only "u"s in them. ha ha Glad I could help. :rolleyes:

I don't look at this thread before I do my puzzle in the morning to "like" them all, because people have done today's earlier than those of us on the East Coast. I don't want to be influenced. The only thing I say, which is obvious from my puzzle, is that it is "one of those", where there are five things it could be after you have 3-4 letters already. I don't comment till the next day. I had to ask for the one I missed completely in a spoiler because by the time I went back to the puzzle, the answer was gone.

@antmanb - where are your puzzles? If you are going to critique, share your results. :)

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
@Stefanie thanks for sharing
but talk about a risky opening with a double vowel and then your second choice too! (although I've always thought TROUT was a fun word - it comes up a lot in Spelling Bee :)

And totally cool @Susan1 - can't mess with a winning streak!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'll give my strategy-- I don't care :lol:

I always start with RATES and then CLING and then if I need more, BUMPY. I was solving a puzzle one day in front of other students and one interestingly commented that he didn't understand why I didn't try to get more words with whatever letters I got from my first word (something along the lines of 'If you know there's an R and E why didn't you put them in the next word?'). I'd rather use 5 new letters on the second line if I have no idea and try to work from that, but I see other people have much different thought processes.

I've never lost a puzzle.

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I haven't, either, which is why I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

But when I do play, I always start with ADIEU and SPORT and then I write the result of that out on paper (most of the time) and then stare at it a while calculating probabilities. I hardly ever need more than four total guesses.

tony

I haven't, either, which is why I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

But when I do play, I always start with ADIEU and SPORT and then I write the result of that out on paper (most of the time) and then stare at it a while calculating probabilities. I hardly ever need more than four total guesses.
I still do it every day even though my (and your) process is basically foolproof. But I spend a lot of time trying to get squareword in less than 8 guesses. That one is torture sometimes.

Stefanie

but talk about a risky opening with a double vowel and then your second choice too! (although I've always thought TROUT was a fun word - it comes up a lot in Spelling Bee :)

Yeah, I am not as smart as @tony and @Prancer to have an opening strategy. I usually just put whatever five-letter word comes to mind and since my leg was bleeding from a mosquito bite, I opened with bleed. :lol:

Jenny

From the Bloc
LOL @Stefanie I do that too! I think I mentioned one day I was having my morning tea and my husband was putting out the garbage so I opened with TRASH. Another day my cat, who we have taken to calling Weirdle at times, was doing something silly so I opened with WEIRD. For a long time I was on the Wheel strategy of going with various combinations of STRNL and E or A, then I moved on to slightly more daring words because I found that either you hit the mark with a consonant or eliminated it - I'd start with RAVEN say, or BEACH. Then I started getting more reckless and chose appropriately fun words - CRAZY or PARTY for example.

It's just so amazing to me that we can all get to the same word this quickly from completely different starting points, yay us! This has led me to play a little subgame with myself in choosing an opening that has no strategy at all (other than 5 different letters) or is even counterintuitive as a challenge to myself (hello QUIRK), and then I still get it, almost always in 3 or 4 tries.

I've played 204 times and lost twice, both times on one of the ones where you're backed into a corner and pretty much have a flip a multi-sided coin.

Still having piles of fun with this :)

Susan1

Thanks, but not a winning streak. My zero was just 10 days ago, but it's the first one since I change words. I stupidly forgot about repeating letters: t-r-i-?-e. Duh. I have 12 losses since the first time I did this, January 19. I got it in 4. The first miss was the next day, on January 20. Sheesh! I've been keeping a tally in excel. Not all dates and words and stuff, just a count (and first day and when I changed the first word). My streak was 86 days.

Why don't you post your puzzles for us to compare?

I was doing Hurdle, but it wasn't any fun doing it by myself.

Last edited:

tony

Why don't you post your puzzles for us to compare?
Because I play on different things: my phone, my laptop, my tablet. And they all have separate records, but my laptop history seems to get wiped out often without me doing anything at all.

Wordle 404 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't normally talk about my Wordle playing but something happened today that made me laugh.

So, I always start with the same word. And once that was the word of the day! That was fun.

Today something even weirder happened. I put in my normal word and not one letter was in the word of the day. That's pretty rare. In fact, this may be the first time that happened. So then I thought about what word I play that doesn't have any of the letters of my starter word. And that was the word of the day! :lol:

Wordle 404 2/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Jenny

From the Bloc
@Stefanie!!!
Again with the double letter in a second guess you crazy woman! Now I'm going to have to start doing that just to make it harder for myself!!

Wordle 405 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

BLUSH SPOUT UPSET

PatChan4O

Wordle 405 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SHARE LIMIT GUEST UPSET ……. Share is my starter word, got interrupted and threw down LIMIT out of nowhere. Almost always I’ll carry down the established letters from one line to the next. Fortunately, it didn’t affect me this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information