When the Student Becomes the Master (Coaching Series on Two for the Ice)

jmtfti

Not really any existing threads where this fits, so just sharing the first in a new article series on TFTI profiling some who've made the transition from competing to coaching. This one was cobbled together out of necessity but focuses on how a few of my interview subjects are dealing with coaching from home.

When the Student Becomes the Master: Part 1

Comments here from Meagan Duhamel, Mitch Islam, and Asher Hill, who has some good situational observations.

Last edited:

Bellanca

“My message to my skaters is that we need to make the best of this situation—control what we can control, which is our attitude and our commitment to being elite athletes, even when we’re stripped of our ability to meet on the ice every day,” said Mitch Islam, who coaches dance and stroking at Barrie, Ontario’s Mariposa School of Skating.

👍👍👍👍

Sylvia

TBD
Belated thanks from me, @jmtfti! Here is part 2 (includes quotes from Colin McManus & Anastasia Cannuscio, plus Islam, Duhamel & Hill):

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you, @jmtfti! :)

IDC is publishing a Solo Dance series of articles and this is the one from the coaches' point of view (Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, Kristen Frazier-Lukanin & Igor Lukanin, Chris Obzansky, Alina Ponomarova, Naomi Lang Strong):

IDC article from May about Michael Bramante (previously competed in USA and later for France):

Sylvia

TBD
Uploaded on August 4, 2020:
On our first ever episode of Beyond The Rink, we are joined by Mitch Islam, Canadian Olympic Ice Dancer. We talk about his upbringing, getting coached by his parents and the meteoric rise to the top. Mitch discusses his Olympic experience and the trials and tribulations of having to always be at your best. Mitch has since retired and is now back coaching at his home club in Barrie and sheds some advice for the next generation. When he's not traveling or on the ice, Mitch is a co-host of the BTR podcast [along with Jackson Tech Rep Kevin Wu].

Sylvia

TBD
The fourth and final in TFTI's coaching series tackles the realities of full-time coaching -- from the emotional highs and lows to addressing issues of prejudice, harassment, and abuse.
Here's the link to read @jmtfti's final installment in her young coaches series (published Oct. 5) featuring Anastasia Cannuscio, Colin McManus, Meagan Duhamel, Mitch Islam and Asher Hill:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information