Wheat-free, sugar-free, dairy-free eating

Spun Silver

This doesn't address your desire for gluten free baked goods but might address your energy issues in another way. I have used the author's Vegetarian Epicure cookbook for decades. I have never made green soup as systematically as this, though I make lots of soups, but this might be the year. I am feeling too tired and itchy-throated too often and have put on a few pounds. (Note: the annoying pop-up will disappear in a few moments.)
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_m...reen_soup_how_green_soup_became_a_way_of_life

Now about the scone substitute -- what about oatmeal cookies using a sugar substitute? It's just a thought. Here's a recipe -- no gluten, no dairy, no refined sugar.
http://minimalistbaker.com/gluten-free-vegan-breakfast-cookies/

nlloyd

Thanks for the suggestions Andrushka, Coco, and Spun Silver. The new diet is going quite well. Breakfasts are fine: gluten-free oatmeal with plain yoghurt and a little Stevia (your version looks wonderful, Andrushka) or gluten-free bread with almond nut butter. Dinners are okay too because we generally eat meat/fish/lentils with vegetables.

Lunches are a challenge because I am used to grabbing a meal at the food court where I work, often a sandwich, and there are no gluten-free options. I have to be more prepared and take lunch to work, not a hardship of course, but it does mean more people time (staff eat together at lunch), which for this introvert is a challenge. I may have to seek out alternative spaces. I have been taking an Amy's gf burrito in with some plain yoghurt as a side. Thanks for the warning, Andrushka; I will keep a close eye on the effects (none so far). I will also look into Thai meals. Thanks for the soup recipe, Spun Silver. Looks good!

The most difficult thing is taking myself out for tea. This is a big stress reliever for me and usually entails a baked good of some kind! I haven't found many local coffee shops that do gf (and I am also off sugar, so that makes baked goods even more difficult). Those gf oatmeal cookies look great, though! I am also fine with the US biscuit as a substitute for a scone. Our Canadian Tim Hortons carries them, but they are not gf.

I have made a couple of great discoveries this week, particularly an organic, gf black bean spaghetti which, for 50g dry, has 27% daily requirement of iron and 11 g of fibre. I am not a pasta aficionado, but enjoyed it with a gf bolognese sauce.

I also found a restaurant in a nearby, more bohemian neighborhood that serves gluten free toast with its brunches.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Look for a good salad bar near work, maybe? There is always the risk of cross contamination, but hopefully it will be ok. If you have a Culver's nearby, their gf bun is yummy. I'm sure it's not healthy :)

Whole Foods has some frozen gf baked goods that are an awesome once in a while treat :) Their flatbreads are amazing and toast up nicely. I think the brand is "mybread."

Also, Van's toaster waffles...yum! I've found Van's in several different stores.

Who makes the black bean spaghetti?

Lucy25

I have been eating this this way (mixture of Wheat Belly/Paleo) for several years now. The "problem" with this lifestyle is that you have to be willing to cook things at home. And really plan ahead. I spend a lot of time (usually Sunday's) making my staples for the week: mayonnaise, roast chickens, chicken bone broth, chopped veggies, mini meat loaves, crock pot roasts, nut butters, etc. Luckliy there are a TON of free recipes online. I ALWAYS have dirty dishes in the sink. It took a while (months) to get in the groove and make it a lifestyle, but I will never go back to the "Standard American Diet". It works for me.

Spun Silver

That black bean pasta sounds fantastic. As a longtime vegetarian I am always teetering on the edge of anemia and it seems like that would solve my problem. Pasta is a lot more fun to eat than beans (in bean form). Now to find it. Where did you find it?

Allskate

That black bean pasta sounds fantastic. As a longtime vegetarian I am always teetering on the edge of anemia and it seems like that would solve my problem. Pasta is a lot more fun to eat than beans (in bean form). Now to find it. Where did you find it?

I don't know which brand she has, but Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, and others carry pastas made from various beans -- black bean, soybean, chickpea, and lentil. (I haven't tried the chickpea.) My favorite that I've had is the red lentil. (I'm not a bean lover, but I do like this pasta.) There are various brands, from Tolerant to Explore Asian to Banza. They are also sold online, including at Amazon, but their prices are ridiculous.

The most difficult thing is taking myself out for tea. This is a big stress reliever for me and usually entails a baked good of some kind! I haven't found many local coffee shops that do gf (and I am also off sugar, so that makes baked goods even more difficult). Those gf oatmeal cookies look great, though! I am also fine with the US biscuit as a substitute for a scone. Our Canadian Tim Hortons carries them, but they are not gf.

I don't know where you go for coffee, but if you're looking for a GF treat that isn't too high in sugar, many of the Starbucks sell Kind bars. It sounds like you are cutting out the gluten not because you are gluten sensitive, but because processed carbs are resulting in low energy. So, most gluten free baked goods aren't going to help you because they are generally just as bad or worse. Kind bars aren't really a baked good, but pretty yummy and they have fiber and nuts, so the glycemic load shouldn't be too bad. They sell Kind bars at places like Target, too. So, if you like them, buy a box and carry one with you so you can eat it when you're tempted by something that is not as good. They're not health food -- just healthier than most impulse goody purchases. gluten free or otherwise. I often carry around a snack size pack of nuts for when I'm running around and get hungry.

Spun Silver

Thanks. Sounds like I need to go to Whole Foods. There are no health food stores near me so I can only go to big box stores or nose around when I'm in Manhattan, which isn't often.

Allskate

Thanks. Sounds like I need to go to Whole Foods. There are no health food stores near me so I can only go to big box stores or nose around when I'm in Manhattan, which isn't often.

FYI, in Whole Foods, sometimes some of the bean pastas aren't located with the regular pastas, but are in a gluten-free section in an entirely different part of the store. The Tolerant pastas have only one ingredient, but the others have additional ingredients, so check the labels to make sure there isn't something that is problematic for you. I don't how they do it, but the Tolerant red lentil pasta has nothing but lentils in it, but somehow tastes quite different, even before adding pasta sauce. (I like eat it with sauteed baby spinach and cheese, which is one way for you to add even more iron.) BTW, the serving portions in these boxes are huge. If you don't want to eat a massive bowl of pasta, reduce the serving size. Also, make sure to follow the instructions regarding the amount of water. The bean pastas require a lot of water. And be prepared for sticker shock. Most of these bean pastas are expensive for pasta. But, I rationalize it because it's healthier and cheaper per serving than meat.

Last edited:

nlloyd

I found the organic black bean spaghetti at Costco. Hah, a meeting of threads! (Can't remember how much it was, though. It's the Explore Asian brand.)

nlloyd

@Allskate, I've seen Kind bars in my local pharmacy. Will take a closer look at them next time. Thanks for the suggestion. I did try some chip substitutes - one made from lentils, the others yams, but I am sure they were packed full of preservatives. Also, they didn't taste that good.

It's odd how, in Canada at least, mainstream stores like Superstore and Costco are beginning to stock far more gf goods while coffee shops and restaurants are not.

Last edited:

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
Well since we're sharing about this: I've been thinking and reading about all the stuff in this thread, but haven't actually tried anything. I feel like my body is falling apart - I'm always itchy and full of snot, my skin's all scaly, I feel like I barely absorb nutrients (you know what I mean); yet all my lab tests show I have "no" issues (no food sensitivities, apparently no allergies other than every plant where I live (I get 4++ for every single plant in my locale on the scratch test)).

I feel like I don't get enough fruit and vegetables; I buy produce and then it rots in the fridge because I've been so unmotivated to cook (my living situation is tight, to put it mildly); I feel like I should try no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, but haven't really made the effort; and now that I'm driving to work I feel like I'm not getting enough exercise!

Yet I get weird comments about how I eat so healthily and I'm so fit and blah blah ... maybe we just all like to verbalize and compare and make assumptions.

I once slept over with someone (it was 2 am - I had to) who really didn't want me to sleep over just because he was so embarrassed that he'd either snore too loudly or have to wear his c-pap mask. I said, "Hunty, I will snore your face off, but not before you have to wait for me to turn the lights out after I slowly insert my mouth guard so as not to gnash, put on cotton gloves so as not to scratch, put on goggles so as not to scratch my eyes out because I'll take off the gloves in my sleep, put a pillow between my knees for my back, and put on a t-shirt with a tennis ball sewn in to it so I don't roll on to my back and choke on my tongue and asphyxiate. And hand me that headband so my forehead doesn't get oily." (OK, I've never done all that at once, but dayum am I old feeling.)

I'm glad this thread is here. I hope to be inspired in to action by it ... whether by finally "shoulda"ing myself over the edge for once, or finding an idea that speaks to me. I wish greenie fruit smoothies and gymnast meals would appear in front of me in a blink as I sit up after a perfect night of sleep. Ain't gonna happen. Must make effort.

Sorry, it's raining, so I'm feeling dreary. Just hoping to post a "Well somebody's doing worse" response to relieve y'all. Oh wait, nobody was complaining. I'm just feeling lonely and chatty and picked this hella random thread to express it. Phew, I feel better.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
Sally's Baking Addiction has recipes for make-your-own Kind bars. Here is one recipe:
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/04/15/vanilla-almond-snack-bars/
There are other snack-bar recipes, too, and some gluten-free items. Here's another snack bar (the most recent):
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2016/01/18/berry-vanilla-cashew-snack-bars/

For lunches, you could make your own cup-of-noodles:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-diy-instant-noodle-cups-222560
I haven't tried these, but I want to.

vesperholly

feel like I don't get enough fruit and vegetables; I buy produce and then it rots in the fridge because I've been so unmotivated to cook (my living situation is tight, to put it mildly)
Quite a lot of veg can be frozen without ruining the taste, if you plan to further cook it later. I stock up on green peppers, carrots, onions, green onions from my farmers market in late summer and freeze them all - most individually cut up for specific recipes. It makes it a lot easier to cook a healthier when I can just thaw some stuff, throw it in a pot and heat. Feeling wasteful when throwing out food sucks.

It might help you to write down what you eat for a week or two to really analyze it. I think that's the great success to any weight loss/gain or nutrition program. How can you improve if you're not sure what you're actually consuming? :)

Allskate

Well since we're sharing about this: I've been thinking and reading about all the stuff in this thread, but haven't actually tried anything. I feel like my body is falling apart - I'm always itchy and full of snot, my skin's all scaly, I feel like I barely absorb nutrients (you know what I mean); yet all my lab tests show I have "no" issues (no food sensitivities, apparently no allergies other than every plant where I live (I get 4++ for every single plant in my locale on the scratch test)).

I feel like I don't get enough fruit and vegetables; I buy produce and then it rots in the fridge because I've been so unmotivated to cook (my living situation is tight, to put it mildly); I feel like I should try no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, but haven't really made the effort; and now that I'm driving to work I feel like I'm not getting enough exercise!

I'm in a similar situation. I'm allergic to a number of plants. Allergy shots have improved the situation tremendously, but I still am frequently congested and have eczema. It's a bummer. But, at least the allergies no longer prevent me from working out. When I'm not exercising I get into a funk. I injured my leg a couple of months ago and couldn't work out for a month. I ended up on my couch eating unhealthy food. When I started driving to work, it had a surprisingly negative effect on me. I'm far too sedentary. It's worse this time of year. Because of the weather, I often don't even go out for a little walk at lunch.

As for fruit and vegetables, I hate wasting them, too. As someone mentioned, frozen produce is one solution. Also, buying stuff that doesn't go bad quickly, like winter squash or apples, is a good idea. Also, I'm not really into cooking and am not very good at it, so I tend to buy things I can use really easily. This time of year, I'll just brush some olive oil on veggies, like carrots, and roast them. Or I'll dump some bok choy or spinach into chicken broth or vegetable broth. Or throwing some veggies into scrambled eggs. Quick and easy.

mag

If you are on Facebook I suggest you look up a couple of science, evidence based sites: Scibabe and James Fell, Body for Wife. Stay away from Food Babe and that crazy David Avocado Wolfe. They spew nothing but BS. Being gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free will do absolutely nothing for your immune system (of course if your have an actual allergy you should stay away.) You can boost your immunity to diseases by making sure your vaccinations are up to date (yes, adults need boosters) and getting a flu shot every year. Eating a healthy, balanced diet from all food groups, getting regular exercise, and at least 8 hours of sleep a night will do more for you than any of the crazy diet/detoxes that are floating around the Internet. Your body does not need a detox and all the crap about an alkiline diet is just that, crap.

Anemone

@Allskate, I

It's odd how, in Canada at least, mainstream stores like Superstore and Costco are beginning to stock far more gf goods while coffee shops and restaurants are not.

Agreed. Totally untapped market. There are so many people today avoiding ingredients either by choice or for medical reasons (ie allergies), I think the mainstream chain that comes out with something will make a small fortune. I have a food allergy, and sometimes finding something I can have is a challenge.

Spun Silver

I was talking to an elderly relative yesterday who is very trim and fit -- she weighs just 2 pounds more than she did 65 years ago, and she still, at 80, maintains a big garden, takes no medicines whatsoever, and rides everywhere on her bike. She said the key to weight control is to weigh yourself once a week, and if you've gone up, just cut out sweets for a week. Sounds so easy! Thought I'd pass it on.

I made green soup tonight: a big bunch of kale with two new (red) potatoes , lots of onion and garlic, a little fresh lemon juice, a little milk, all blended with a hand blender. Then garnished with a spoonful of crumbled feta. Hubby added sausage to his. Yum! We were both happy.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am going to piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.

I finished my radiation therapy about 5 weeks ago. Of course there are lingering side effects and problems. But I think since I finished I have developed a food intolerance to eggs. It is not diagnosed but I had two weekends (the previous weekend and weekend before that) where after I ate straight eggs I had horrible diaherrea and even threw up. Plus another couple of times had more mild situations after eating foods with eggs in them (one was a potato pancake I made and the other was some creamy pasta). Even though diaherrea is a side effect from radiation around the pelvic region, there is too much of a coincidence for it to just be a general problem. It was directly after eating specific food.

Also I haven't felt great and was thinking about cutting out dairy to try and see if that would help. It didn't help during the radiation that I had no appetite and was basically eating only those things I had an appetite for. And was just too exhausted and in pain to put any effort into food.

Good thing I am getting back into the vegetables (making stir fries with lots of greens) to try and improve my gut bacteria which I hope would help.

I suppose my question is about developing food intolerances later on after illness or treatment. Has anyone gone through this or had this happen? If so what did you do to help yourself?

Allskate

I suppose my question is about developing food intolerances later on after illness or treatment. Has anyone gone through this or had this happen? If so what did you do to help yourself?

I think that there are some food intolerances that develop for some people as they get older, or they get worse. I used to be okay with wheat and oats, but not anymore.

Also, I don't think it's unusual for surgery or other types of treatment to really mess with your body in other ways, including your gut. Radiation can do that. Antibiotics and painkillers can do that. A surgery or treatment that affects any of your hormones (estrogen, thyroid, insulin, etc.) can do that. It's been almost two years since I had surgery to remove a tumor. My body went totally haywire afterwards, and is just now calming down. One of the consequences was gut problems that I've never had before. Among other things, I'm taking probiotics, eating yogurt, and drinking kefir. If you think dairy is a problem, then maybe look for other sources of probiotics like coconut kefir or fresh pickles with live cultures? Certain vegetables might help, but it's also possible that certain vegetables actually will pose a problem.

You're in Melbourne, right? I know that there are some top gut and food allergy/intolerance experts there, so you might seek a consult.

Aussie Willy

Thanks Allskate for your response and telling about your experience. And yes I am in Melbourne :).

I am going to try not to have any dairy for a couple of days. I feel like I am having a constant upset tummy but today it seems to have eased off a bit as I haven't had any dairy during the day except for on cereal this morning. The main problem aside from not feeling good during the day is it is actually not helping me to sleep because my body is just uncomfortable. And coming off the drugs I was taking from the radiation isn't helping either.

Allskate

Try talking to your doctor for a referral to the right specialist. A friend of mine had to look hard to find the right endocrinologist to help her after she underwent radiation treatment that damaged her thyroid. These issues are so highly specialized. I know that Monash has some pioneering gut experts, too. (My G.I. doc has me try a diet pioneered at Monash. Didn't work for me, but it apparently works for some people with gut problems.) And I know there are some leading edge treatments for food allergies in Melbourne.

Good luck. You've had enough to deal with. Gut issues really are a pain because it's so hard to determine the exact problem. I'm really tired of all the tests, procedures, and trial treatments.

AragornElessar

Lots to cover & may need to do a 2 pt post. Okay then...

Agree on the almond milk, although not keen on it in tea.

Same here. Picked up some Cashew Milk last week, but only opened it tonight, as the 2nd carton of Almond Milk I could swear I also got at the same time is nowhere to be found. Haven't tried it yet in Tea, but good in Coffee and a very mild taste. I'll let you when I give it a shot in Tea.

Thanks, Andrushka. I visited a different grocery store today than my usual one - two in fact - and discovered they each had a whole aisle devoted to gluten-free/organic products. They are both run-of-the-mill Canadian grocery stores, so that seemed hopeful. Didn't see anything for scones :) but pancake mixes, frozen waffles etc. The next challenge is finding an alternative coffee/tea shop that sells something similar.

Do you find there's a bit more available at Foodland/YIG/PC stores compared to the Sobey's brand of ones? We've got 1 Sobey's owned 1 in our area & they never have frozen GF stuff. Plemty in the dedicated section on the shelves, but zip in the freezer. Just wondering...

@Allskate, I've seen Kind bars in my local pharmacy. Will take a closer look at them next time. Thanks for the suggestion. I did try some chip substitutes - one made from lentils, the others yams, but I am sure they were packed full of preservatives. Also, they didn't taste that good.

I love Kind bars & really helpful in a pinch, so I try to keep a couple in my purse for just in case times. Boy, do I hear you on going out though. Boston Pizza does do GF options for pizza & pasta as long as they know about it & Milestone's also has GF options, such as a GF bun for their burgers. Of course those are more once in blue moon special occasion options, but there's two for you.

Quite a lot of veg can be frozen without ruining the taste, if you plan to further cook it later. I stock up on green peppers, carrots, onions, green onions from my farmers market in late summer and freeze them all - most individually cut up for specific recipes.

Ginger and Mushrooms can also be frozen. We've done it w/no problems as yet.

I made green soup tonight: a big bunch of kale with two new (red) potatoes , lots of onion and garlic, a little fresh lemon juice, a little milk, all blended with a hand blender. Then garnished with a spoonful of crumbled feta. Hubby added sausage to his. Yum! We were both happy.

That sounds amazing!! Great. Now you've got me wanting Veggie Soup, but making it now would not go over well at all, so...*meep*

For health reasons, I am thinking about becoming a vegan. I recently bought this cookbook:

http://www.amazon.ca/Oh-She-Glows-C...71&sr=8-1&keywords=oh+she+glows+angela+liddon

I have made a few recipes & they have been very good. The Green Minster Smoothy is delicious. The author's blog is also very good.

I picked it up too last week after following her blog for a year or so now. Haven't made anything that's been a plop as of yet.

I am going to piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one....*snip*

Oh Willy...1st I'm learning this and Huge, Huge (((((HUGS))))) to you. I can speak a wee bit to what you're going through, as something like it has happened w/me both times Post Transplant. 1st time, if I had any Milk at all before Noon, it would make a reappearance. Even if only in my Coffee. After Noon/1pm, things would go back to normal again. Never could figure out why and it "fixed" itself after this one, but...

This time, while it's not that bad, Onions just hate me anymore. Which really stings, as I adore them, but if I eat em I know I'm in for a not so great rest of the day.

I have some links to share, think I'll do a double post, as not sure I have enough room to post them in this one. BRB...

Aussie Willy

Oh Willy...1st I'm learning this and Huge, Huge (((((HUGS))))) to you. I can speak a wee bit to what you're going through, as something like it has happened w/me both times Post Transplant. 1st time, if I had any Milk at all before Noon, it would make a reappearance. Even if only in my Coffee. After Noon/1pm, things would go back to normal again. Never could figure out why and it "fixed" itself after this one, but...
Thanks AE. That is very strange to have time related problems.

As I talk to people I find there are more and more people who have dietary changes later in life, whether after treatment or it just happens. I have found by not eating eggs at all that things are definitely better and I am not getting sick. But it does mean I have to be very careful and I am reading every label. I haven't taken the step yet of trying certain foods that might have egg eg biscuits, cakes, pasta. But I suppose that is not such a bad thing not eating biscuits and cakes because they are loaded with sugar. On the other hand I am eating quite healthily - more vegetables particularly. I can handle milk though which is good.

AragornElessar

That it was Willy & we never could figure out what/why it happened, but as my Drs are fond of saying, I do tend to do things differently. I'm so glad eggs aren't a problem w/me, because they're everywhere in everything just about. Good luck in figuring out what's available out there egg free.

As I said, I've got some links to share & Some I'm not sure the addy on, so will just name the website in that case. Oh & many of these do use sugar in their recipes, but they aren't refined sugar, they've got either Raw Honey or Organic Maple Syrup in them. Some also use Organic Cane Sugar. Just putting that out there, so you know. Okay then...

Against All Grains. This was the very 1st site that came up in Google when I looked up Gluten Free Recipes & Thank God it did, because Danielle's Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies, made me realize I could still have my favourite goodies while also being Celiac. These things...If you didn't know they were GF, you wouldn't. The first time I made these, didn't have any Enjoy Life Choc Chips (all I use now, as great taste, but not overpowering sweet) at the time, but only Chipits & YIKES!! Overpowering sweet was an understatement, but even w/that, they still tasted like a Toll House Cookie. They're 1 of my go to fave recipes & even better, everything gets whipped together in a food processor, so easy clean up. Always an awesome thing IMO.

I'm not Tomato/Nightshade Plant Allergic, but a good Family Friend is & Celiac too, so I steered her over there, because Danielle's come up w/a Spaghetti Sauce that uses Beets instead. She has since told me she'd forgotten what it was like to have her Pasta smothered in a a Red Sauce, but this is making it awesome to have "Tomato" Sauce again.

Browse through her site, as I'm sure you'll find something over there.

Ditch The Wheat ~ I actually learned about this site through a rec over at Danielle's. Her GF Pieroghi is soooo yummy!! BTW...Any claims that on my 1st making of these, I might have gone a wee bit overboard & eaten a few more than perhaps I should have, I will deny to my dying breath!! Besides there were no witnesses, so...Yes, they are that good. :D. As are many of the recipes she's got up there.

Lutz of Greens ~ For those who don't know, Megan Duhamel has her own site/blog now, where she shares what she's learned by going Vegan & also shares recipes over there. The Muffin recipe she shared a few weeks ago, they only lasted a day and a half around here. She posts both GF and non GF recipes, but the baked goods ones I've made a straight switch w/Almond Flour, as it's a 1:1 switch from reg flour to it, & they've turned out fine, so something to keep in mind.

Ones I'm not sure address wise...

Gluten Free On A Shoestring ~ Lots of great tips & ideas over there. Such as buying two boxes of Chex, but whipping one of them into crumbs in a food processor for GF Panko crumbs. Works like a charm too.

My Whole Food Life ~ Some amazing stuff over there across all the Recipe Categories & various Food Allergy/Restricted Diets. We're slowly making our way through her Truffle Recipes as the Holidays or Family Celebrations comes along. The Pecan Caramel and The Cookie Dough Truffle are both excellent and only need 5 or 6 ingrediants for them too. They both are also everything gets whipped up in the food processor recipes.

On that note, our dish reception just went & since our Net Access is also on a dish, off to hit Reply while I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information