What took the place of the iPod?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm serious! I've had my iPod Classic since 2009 or thereabouts. I was dimly aware that the rest of the world had moved on, but it worked great and I never felt the need for anything else. Only now it's reached capacity and I don't know what to replace it with. So what are the kids using these days? :D iPod touch? Phone app? Something else? Help a dinosaur out!

Wyliefan

I think everyone just uses their phone now
I got that impression. But I've got all my stuff on iTunes. Is it downloadable to my phone? (Bearing in mind that I have a Samsung and not an iPhone?)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
No one really downloads or ‘buys’ music anymore to take up space on their phones when they can stream it all. It’s all gone by the way of Spotify or YouTube Music, which comes with the premium no-ads subscription.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
No one really downloads or ‘buys’ music anymore to take up space on their phones when they can stream it all. It’s all gone by the way of Spotify or YouTube Music, which comes with the premium no-ads subscription.
that's true - I have iTunes on my iPhone, but I can't remember the last time I bought something on iTunes. Or listened to songs on my phone, for that matter, because I can't find headphones with a jack (and I refuse to use airpods) and the volume on my ancient phone is crap.

I hate technology :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I got that impression. But I've got all my stuff on iTunes. Is it downloadable to my phone? (Bearing in mind that I have a Samsung and not an iPhone?)
There is an Apple Music app for Android.

This tells you how to do it using Apple Music but I'm sure you can use another app if you want to.

The stuff in iTunes should be in a standard music format so any music playing app on your Android should be able to play them once you get them on your phone.

Wyliefan

I hate technology :lol:
So do I. That's why I hung on to the iPod for eleven years. I didn't want to be bothered to upgrade or try something new. :lol:
There is an Apple Music app for Android.

This tells you how to do it using Apple Music but I'm sure you can use another app if you want to.

The stuff in iTunes should be in a standard music format so any music playing app on your Android should be able to play them once you get them on your phone.
Thank you, I'll check it out!

Jenny

From the Bloc
Can't help you with the technology, but wanted to show support as we still have two iPods, one being a backup of the other. We also have an extensive music collection (had to build custom shelving), and we also have Tidal (sorta like Spotify) and Roon (husband's thing, provides greater quality when running through his hifi rig).

What we love about the iPod is that we have loaded thousands of song onto it - not whole albums, but songs we hand picked from our collection or bought or otherwise secured (because so many artists do these one-off collaborations that never appear on a full album these days). It's our background music - we play it through the living room stereo - a playlist that we don't have to think about knowing we love all of it, we play them alphabetically by song and it takes months to get through it before it starts over again.

Hope you find a good solution @Wyliefan

Wyliefan

@Jenny Yes, I'm in a very similar situation. I've built up a big collection over the years, much of it pretty obscure or even weird. :) I've enjoyed the ability to carry it around with me, and I'd love to keep doing that if possible.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I still use iTunes on the PC. I’ve got at least 500 vinyl records and CD ripped. And everything is on my phone. I bought extra storage just to keep my music as the music services suck majorly at pre-Beatles, jazz, and oddball world music.

manhn

Can you use Spotify or Apple Music on your phone while on a run or something like that (basically, anywhere without Wifi)? I now listen to podcasts. I download it and then remove it once I finish listening to it. But that sounds annoying with music.

I still have an MP3 Player for my music. I rip my CDs onto my laptop and then transfer to my MP3 player.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Can you use Spotify or Apple Music on your phone while on a run or something like that (basically, anywhere without Wifi)? I now listen to podcasts. I download it and then remove it once I finish listening to it. But that sounds annoying with music.

I still have an MP3 Player for my music. I rip my CDs onto my laptop and then transfer to my MP3 player.
You can with Spotify at least. I used to stream it in my car. Also, Spotify has the ability to download all the songs on a playlist. So you can listen to them locally without using up data. (This may not exist in the free version, though.)

I am not familiar with Apple Music so have no idea what features it offers.

ryanj07

I was at a work conference with friends almost a decade ago now and took out my iPod and they were like why do you use that when you have an iPhone?! I felt silly and immediately transferred my music to my phone after our trip and never looked back lol. I use Apple Music to stream on my phone now and like it a lot!

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I still have my last iPod and it works great except the battery will not hold a charge. I could probably try changing the battery out. At some point, I ended up transferring all of my music files to my iPhone. One of the attractions of MP3 players in the first place for me was access to my whole music collection no matter where I was or what I was doing. We have been asked to not stream music on our phones at work and there are plenty other places I’m at where there is no wifi.

I do wish separate MP3 players were still a thing because I preferred the days of having a separate device for music. I’m probably in the minority.

KatieC

I lost most of the music I had in iTunes, now it only shows the stuff I bought from Apple. I gave up and moved my record player to a more central spot, and play my records from the seventies or eighties, plus what I have from my parents collections of the 40's, 50's and 60's. I still have the ability to play cassette tapes and CD's.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I have a cheap SanDisk mp3 player from Amazon that I use for listening in the car through the AUX port. It's hard plastic and I don't care if it gets banged around in there or if it gets exposed to extreme high and low temperatures. I don't want to do streaming where the songs can randomly disappear, and I doubt they have all the random skating music that I have, labelled by skater and season. :p

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Considering your problem is a capacity issue outside of using the Apple Music app for Android, your best bet is probably to look into an iPod Touch. You can get them up to 256 gb of storage now. Apple Music does require a subscription and I'm not totally sure how that would work considering your current iPod is a Classic and if I recall correctly those don't have wi-fi access. Though if you've kept your iPod backed up to a computer you should be ok. Also if you do end up getting an iPod Touch you should make sure everything is synced to your computer first.

I've also heard of Apple Music replacing music that was uploaded to computers with the Apple versions of the files so be careful. I haven't run into that myself but really only because I had to stop plugging my iPod into computers 3 laptops ago because I had a really weird laptop and by the time I replaced it Apple had things set so I could sync music wirelessly from my computer to my iPod.

There are other MP3 players out there that have a significant amount of storage space but all the non Apple ones I keep finding cost just as much, if not more, than an iPod does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information