What is your favorite kind of rice to cook?

What is your favorite kind of rice to cook?

• Uncle Ben's converted white rice

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Carolina long-grain white rice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Basmati rice

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Sticky rice (Asian)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Arborio rice (risotto)

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Brown rice

• Jasmine rice

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Yellow rice (Spanish)

• I like most kinds of rice

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

clairecloutier

Random food poll. :D

I made some rice for lunch & it got me wondering as to which kinds of rice people like most.

gk_891

Basmati for me. I especially like it in dishes like biryani.

Red matta rice goes well with Sri Lankan curries. And long grain parboiled rice is good for rice & peas that you find in the West Indies.

oleada

I usually do Jasmine. I like brown rice but my husband doesn’t. I like wild rice, cooked in chicken broth.

We have a rice cooker. It’s soooo easy to do that way.

screech

I normally cook jasmine rice, but I love risotto, so I've always got some arborio on hand as well.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Jasmine for me. It's easiest to make sticky or separate.

ribbon

I love all rice. I make risotto when in the mood for Italian, rice and beans is almost an everyday food for me (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Costa Rican, Belizean, I love all kinds), and I like to do jasmine rice for my Thai and Korean dishes and basmati for Indian. I also like wild rice blends. I rarely make sushi but I like eating it in restaurants. Basically rice = what's in my stomach.

kalamalka

Jasmine is my favourite general-purpose rice, although I also like basmati, and I'm very partial to wild rice, esp mixed with other types.

Ohyes

Uncle bens white rice mainly because it is a treat to finally be able to have now that I do my own grocery shopping for college and was rarely allowed to have it beforehand since my mum was trying to keep me healthy by only making and buying brown rice. (blegh)

icie

Keeping up appearances
Jasmine - I put it into my Zo rice cooker & it comes out great. I also like wild rice.

manhn

I like a mix of white and brown rice. Do not know the brands.

Oleada, I used to hate brown rice too. But a cousin recommended me to mix white and brown. I now cannot eat it any other way. Maybe try 3/4 white and 1/4 brown. I think he would like the crunchy element.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I chose arbrario because I like risotto. I also like wild rice, but only use it for stuffing with sausage, chestnut and apple.

Brown and white rice I don't mind, but don't eat very often. I prefer pasta to rice, and would make an avgolemono soup with orzo before I made a soup with rice.

Lizziebeth

I love brown rice and wild rice. I cook rice in a tall sauce pot so it does not boil over. I prefer that over a rice cooker.

Vagabond

There are a whole bunch of types of brown rice, ranging from this to this to this, with all kinds of blends. If you think you don't like brown rice, it might we worth doing some experimentation.

Japanfan

There are a whole bunch of types of brown rice, ranging from this to this to this, with all kinds of blends. If you think you don't like brown rice, it might we worth doing some experimentation.

I'll eat brown rice as easily as white, actually. In fact, I prefer it because of its nutty flavor.

I just don't care much for rice in general, excepting arbrario in risotto, and wild rice in stuffing (where it comes second to the sausage and chestnuts).

I prefer pasta and potatoes as starches - including orzo, which is rice-like.

Though I do have fond memories of garlic fried rice in the Philippines. One must eat rice daily in the Philippines, it's pretty much a requirement for traveling there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information