What is the worst figure skating meltdown in history in the "Kiss and Cry" area?

KaitlynB123

Banned Member
I know Gabby Daleman had a bad Olympic skate in 2018. It was so bad that nearly all instances of her 2018 Olympic LP have been deleted from the Internet. However, have there been other meltdowns in the "Kiss and Cry" area that have been worse than Daleman's?

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
There are so many. My example wasn’t crying though. In general, I enjoyed Maria Butrskaya’s flippent reactions. She would pretend to not care, take off her skates and not look, Nagano she halfway looked and kept walking, wagged her finger in 2001 and ended her career at 2002 Worlds QR by not even stopping at the Kiss N Cry.

Probably the most sad was Karen Preston at 1994 Canadian Nationals. She skated great.
I’ll have to find the link.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
The first one that came to my mind was Tarah Kayne at the last U.S. Nationals.

On a more amusing/less depressing note, my two favorites of last season were by Kevin Reynolds and Matteo Rizzo. I love a good storming out of the K&C, especially when it's totally unwarranted.

The Reynolds storm-out isn't on YouTube, but I found it on NBC Gold so I can describe it: Kevin has a mountain of curls piled semi-casually atop his head and is wearing a sleek black ensemble. He and McLeod look quite somber while waiting for the marks. NBC then cut to an interview with Nathan Chen, making me enraged that they edited out the storm-out. But, luckily, the video came back. The second the scores appeared, Reynolds stood up, making eye contact with no one, and strode off toward the exit. The best part is that he's walking in a really stiff, slow manner because he still has his skates on, so it's like an elegant slow motion pace-off.

As far as K&C moments that caused a meltdown on FSU even if they wouldn't be classified as meltdowns on their own*, Scott Moir's comment at the 2012 WTT has to be on the list.

Also, there must be several Tsareva/Pogo examples, but I don't remember where they happened.

*To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't more of an outcry within the skating community calling for Moir to publicly apologize in order to avoid being censured or getting, at least, a temporary ban from the sport. This was one of the most egregious examples of foul and degrading language I've ever seen, either in or out of skating. If I was a skating coach and one of my students made a comment like that at an international event, I'd immediately kick them out of my rink and method.

coppertop1

I know Gabby Daleman had a bad Olympic skate in 2018. It was so bad that nearly all instances of her 2018 Olympic LP have been deleted from the Internet. However, have there been other meltdowns in the "Kiss and Cry" area that have been worse than Daleman's?

Daleman's reaction in the Kiss and Cry wasn't that bad, considering her meltdown in the LP. I don't think the removal of the videos have anything to do with her performance and more to do with the IOC 's restriction.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Nothing tops Margot Robbie in "I, Tonya" .. I tought she was gonna legit climb over and through the stands (with skates on and guards off) to knock out the judges.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Don Baldwin the year he and Tiffany Vise had a huge SP meltdown at Nationals.

Orm Irian

Didn't James and Cipres have a fairly legendary barney in the kiss-and-cry once? I think Cup of Tyrol one year not long before they broke out.

anonymoose_au

Not exactly a breakdown, but it's stuck with me since I saw it on YouTube, Yags at the 2000 Euros saw his technical scores, realised Plushy was going to win, just got up and marched off while they were still being read! I've never seen anything like it!

I wonder if TAT told him off after that, because awkward!

https://youtu.be/6w26Wef0Ikg at 6:19.

Evgenia Tarasova breaking down after the FS at the 2018 Olympics, thankfully the camera cut away, but it was heartbreaking, I cried. :(

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I think this is an unfair example. Gabby had a horrible performance, so of course she was going to be upset and cry a lot. IIRC she didn't do much worse than bury her face in her hands and sob, but honestly, that was pretty restrained. She could have been rolling around on the floor wailing or something. Her reaction was very much in line with what had happened. That's not a "meltdown", that's an honest reaction (as sad as it was to watch).

IMO a "meltdown" is when someone's performance is generally OK, but they throw a dramatic hissy fit when they don't think they got the marks they deserved. Or when they act nasty toward their partner or their coach(es). There are several good examples of those already cited in this thread.

coppertop1

I think this is an unfair example. Gabby had a horrible performance, so of course she was going to be upset and cry a lot. IIRC she didn't do much worse than bury her face in her hands and sob, but honestly, that was pretty restrained. She could have been rolling around on the floor wailing or something. Her reaction was very much in line with what had happened. That's not a "meltdown", that's an honest reaction (as sad as it was to watch).

IMO a "meltdown" is when someone's performance is generally OK, but they throw a dramatic hissy fit when they don't think they got the marks they deserved. Or when they act nasty toward their partner or their coach(es). There are several good examples of those already cited in this thread.

It's like someone on YT that her sobbing in the K&C after her free skate at this year's Nationals was unprofessional because there could be little kids watching her and should take it to the dressing room.

manhn

No specific moment, but Oda's constant tears really annoyed me. Even after perfectly adequate performances.

Karen Preston in 1994 Canadians is the most heartbreaking for me. Generally, those skaters who did a good job but not a good enough job tend to make me the saddest.

My favourite? 2008 Worlds, when Trankov was being treated for an arm injury, while Murkhortova was more concerned about her water bottle.

skatfan

Which Worlds was it when Frank Carroll and Christopher Bowman sniped at each other because Chris completely changed up his program?

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.

ballettmaus

It's like someone on YT that her sobbing in the K&C after her free skate at this year's Nationals was unprofessional because there could be little kids watching her and should take it to the dressing room.

I'd have told that person that she's human and not a robot and that it's totally okay to show your emotions in public. Crying/sobbing is different from being a sore loser.

Willin

Didn't James and Cipres have a fairly legendary barney in the kiss-and-cry once? I think Cup of Tyrol one year not long before they broke out.
I thought there was more than one of those?

No specific moment, but Oda's constant tears really annoyed me. Even after perfectly adequate performances.

Karen Preston in 1994 Canadians is the most heartbreaking for me. Generally, those skaters who did a good job but not a good enough job tend to make me the saddest.

My favourite? 2008 Worlds, when Trankov was being treated for an arm injury, while Murkhortova was more concerned about her water bottle.
I mean, Oda is the same guy caught drunk driving a moped, so idk if crying in the K&C if the least manly thing he's ever done...

Although 10 years on I still find it really funny that this dude famous for tearing up at everything is a direct descendant of a famous Japanese warlord who is often portrayed as pretty brutal or outright evil.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
1997 worlds LP- Berezhnaya Sikharulidze were in 3rd place in the SP. A win in the LP would have given them gold. They had four falls in the LP - two by each. Anton just walked out of the K&C. Elena sat there with Tamara and listened to the marks. I think they placed outside the top 10 in the LP.

Orm Irian

I thought there was more than one of those?

Probably, but that one kind of sticks in my mind as a full-on, stand-up, top-of-the-lungs row in which both of them seemed to have completely forgotten they were still on camera. I don't remember anything else quite like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information