WHAT IS A COMBINED FREE DANCE IN SOLO ICE-DANCING?

FSWer

Say, I saw a youtube video of a Solo Ice-Dancer doing what was called a Combined Free Dance. Can anyone please explain what that means? Thanks.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Interesting..Btw. why isn't partner Ice-Dancing refered to as combined?

Do you mean, why isn't it called "combined" even though the scores for both programs are added together like in solo dance?

I think it's because in solo dance the skaters can compete in only one of the two types of dances - rhythm (short) dance or free dance - or they can compete in both types. The combined score is for the skaters who compete in both types of dances. In "regular" ice dancing, the partners have to compete in both types of dances - they can't compete in just one of them.

carriecmu0503

Do you mean, why isn't it called "combined" even though the scores for both programs are added together like in solo dance?

I think it's because in solo dance the skaters can compete in only one of the two types of dances - rhythm (short) dance or free dance - or they can compete in both types. The combined score is for the skaters who compete in both types of dances. In "regular" ice dancing, the partners have to compete in both types of dances - they can't compete in just one of them.
You are not quite correct. There are no separate rhythm dance events. Skaters can either compete in combined events or in pattern dance only. Only the junior and senior levels have a rhythm dance in addition to the free dance. Novice and below have a free dance and a pattern dance.

FSWer

You are not quite correct. There are no separate rhythm dance events. Skaters can either compete in combined events or in pattern dance only. Only the junior and senior levels have a rhythm dance in addition to the free dance. Novice and below have a free dance and a pattern dance.
Yes. Why is Solo Ice-Dance the only discipline we call combined?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes. Why is Solo Ice-Dance the only discipline we call combined?

The discipline isn't called "combined". "Combined" is one of the events that's part of the discipline. As explained above, solo ice dancers can compete in a single event or they can compete in the combined event, where they do two separate kinds of dances and the scores for both are added together to determine the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information