WHAT DISCIPLINE OF SKATING ARE YOU MOSTLY A FAN OF?

WHAT ARE YOU MOSTLY A FAN OF?

• ICE-DANCE

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • PAIRS

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • LADIES FREESTYLE

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • MENS FREESTYLE

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • SYNCHRONIZED SKATING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FSWer

Say,what Discipline of skating is everyone here mostly a fan of? I like them all. But I'm mostly an Ice-Dance fan. Anybody else?

skylark

Pairs, still and ever my favorites. I fell in love with Gordeeva and Grinkov in 1988 and I've never looked back. There's something about that combination of two skating as one, musical oneness and connection, and difficult physical feats; all the components play a role. It's probably a little about the thrill of danger, too. I liked doing lifts in dance class, which take a unique combination of trust, good technique and courage. Being thrown looks like fun to me, too.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
For me it’s always been about the men’s freestyle. The jumping talent, telling a story, the way they move effortlessly on ice. Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Patrick Chan, so many amazing skaters

kwanatic

My first love was always the women's skating. It's what I started out watching and it's the discipline I'm the most knowledgeable in (started a blog and everything). However, since Sochi, I've noticed there have been some really huge shifts in the discipline in terms of scoring. There is a massive problem with the scoring. It's become customary to give credit to some skaters (some of whom do not deserve it) and under-score others who should be receiving much higher scores relative to the field. It's a major problem that has sucked a lot of the joy and excitement out of the discipline for me.

Thankfully I've opened up to other disciplines: I've always liked the men but I've really started paying attention now; pairs were always exciting but I'm seeing more and really enjoying it; but the biggest surprise for me has been ice dancing. This discipline is where artistry, line, skating skills and performance (the things I really love about the sport) all matter...a lot. It's not without its politics but, seeing as how I'm still trying to develop a technical eye for it, I am able to enjoy it a lot more.

Ice dancing hasn't replaced the women as my favorite yet (I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose) but it's awfully close to doing just that...

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
My first love was always the women's skating. It's what I started out watching and it's the discipline I'm the most knowledgeable in (started a blog and everything). However, since Sochi, I've noticed there have been some really huge shifts in the discipline in terms of scoring. There is a massive problem with the scoring. It's become customary to give credit to some skaters (some of whom do not deserve it) and under-score others who should be receiving much higher scores relative to the field. It's a major problem that has sucked a lot of the joy and excitement out of the discipline for me.

Thankfully I've opened up to other disciplines: I've always liked the men but I've really started paying attention now; pairs were always exciting but I'm seeing more and really enjoying it; but the biggest surprise for me has been ice dancing. This discipline is where artistry, line, skating skills and performance (the things I really love about the sport) all matter...a lot. It's not without its politics but, seeing as how I'm still trying to develop a technical eye for it, I am able to enjoy it a lot more.

Ice dancing hasn't replaced the women as my favorite yet (I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose) but it's awfully close to doing just that...

You’re so right on that. The scoring system doesn’t work and ISU keeps changing it but it’s not going to work ever. The judges will always have a favourite skater going into a competition.

olympic

I like FS and am riveted to all the disciplines when they are televised, but if you make me rate them -

Pairs - The hunkier men [more upper body] and the daredevil women make it my fave.

I guess for either of the men's or ladies' singles events, it would depend on the era and group of skaters: There are times when one side overshadows the other because the competitors are pushing the boundaries, or there is a special or unique star(s). Right now, I personally prefer watching Nathan and Yuzu because the boundaries of tech and artistry are elevated. Both are special once-in-a-generation skaters. OTOH, while I respect the ladies and I cannot argue that tech is really being elevated, but for viewing purposes, I think are the quads technically clean [not picking on Russia, I also include Alysa Liu] ? Are the programs riveting? In Russia, the top ladies last year coming from the same coach, it becomes monotone and factory.

Ice Dance has its moments but I would rank it least favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information