Yuri

The RELATIVE placements in the team events are based on the total points earned by each team's members. They are not ordinal placements. If Team A's members earn 20 points and Team B's members earn 15 points, Team A is 1st and Team B is 2nd. And if someone on Team A earned 10 points and gets disqualified, and their points are removed, them Team B is 1st with 15 points and Team A is 2nd with 10 points.

I honestly don't know why you keep yammering on about ordinal scoring and placements, because they are completely irrelevant to this situation.
You are correct that ordinals are irrelevant in this case, but factored placements are in effect if you assume each sub-event is worth an equal 1.0 weight. Earlier in the thread some objected to simply summing up the raw scores because the Men's results would be given extra weight--this could be addressed by a weighting such as Men=1.0, Pairs=1.4, Dance=1.2, and Women=1.4 (just picking a weighting summing to 5.0 so that 50 would be the maximum score) such that the average factored scores would be similar for each segment.

I will probably regret revisiting the results, but let's say as a hypothetical that the ISU had disqualified EVERY ROC competitor (as many have suggested) and moved up everyone who finished below an ROC competitor in their segment. After the short programs and rhythm dance, there would be a flip-flop:

ORIGINAL RESULTS / DISQUALIFY ROC
Team M-P-D-W TOT / M-P-D-W TOT [+/-]
ROC 8-9-9-10 36 / 0-0-0-0 0 [-36]
USA 10-8-10-6 34 / 10-9-10-7 36 [+2]
JPN 9-7-4-9 29 / 9-8-5-10 32 [+3]
CAN 3-6-7-8 24 / 4-7-8-9 28 [+4]
CHN 5-10-6-1 22 / 6-10-7-2 25 [+3]
GEO 7-5-3-7 22 / 8-6-4-8 26 [+4]
ITA 6-4-8-2 20 / 7-5-9-3 24 [+4]
CZE 4-3-5-3 15 / 5-4-6-4 19 [+4]
GER 2-0-1-5 8 / 3-0-2-6 11 [+3]
UKR 0-2-2-4 8 / 0-3-3-5 11 [+3]

If the ISU had disqualified every ROC competitor, ROC drops to last place and USA moves to 1st, JPN to 2nd, and CAN to 3rd position entering the free skate/dance portion of the Team Event where only the top five teams advance. While the point spreads may be altered by a point, there is no RELATIVE change among USA-JPN-CAN. HOWEVER, now there's a problem determining who SHOULD have moved on to the finals regarding CHN and GEO. Under the original scoring, CHN won a tiebreaker with GEO to place 5th so the host nation advanced to the finals. But if ROC had been DQ'd in its entirety, GEO jumps all the way from 6th to 4th place while CHN remains in 5th--simply from removing the ROC results. Is that a fair outcome? Arguably, GEO should be advanced (or perhaps both CHN and GEO) by the retroactive application two years later of "moving everyone up".

Of course, the chances for further flip-flops increases if you have EIGHT sub-events (with the free skates) rather than limiting the analysis to the initial FOUR sub-events. As an aside, using a 10-9-8-7-6 scale for the free skate/dance segments was also a rather dumb idea (perhaps the Free Skate/Dance should have been weighted double like in the old days?). The placements in the finals also would also have been altered if you eliminate all the ROC skaters. Especially if the GEO skaters had been permitted to compete in the finals instead of or in addition to the CHN skaters. Maybe no one else on FSU cares about some potential flip-flops among the 4th-5th-6th place teams based upon the ISU's decision, but it wouldn't be too hard to construct scenarios where the medal positions would be impacted by throwing out all the ROC results.

For those who may remember this notorious results (that also benefited Russia!), I believe that the death knell to the ordinals PLUS factored placements was what happened at the 1997 European Championships when Alexei Urmanov of RUS drew an inside straight to pull up from 6th to 1st after the Short Program:

Alexei Urmanov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Philippe Candeloro
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
Viacheslav Zagorodniuk
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png
Ukraine
4Ilia Kulik
Russia
5Alexei Yagudin
Russia
6Andrejs Vlascenko
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany

The RELATIVE results of many skaters flip-flopped during the Men's Free Skating, and Speedy led the charge for the ISU to dump both systems. Yet somehow, the great minds at the ISU thought that bringing back a version of the Factored Placements to the Olympics for the Team Event was a good idea! Some conspiracy theorists believed the judges "gamed" the ordinals, and thereby the factored placements, to manipulate 1994 Olympic Gold Medalist Urmanov to a European Gold Medal. If the 2022 Team Event had been closer between ROC and the rest of the field, there was the potential for the manipulation of placements as well. That's why I believe that simply adding up the raw scores, or factoring/weighting them as I suggested above, would be an improvement.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
That's a bridge too far for Eteri... losing out on gov't funding by keeping her on the tour.

It seems like the Russian Olympic Committee and Skating Federation are happy to simply pretend this didn't happen. Why would she lose government funding by keeping Kamilla? Am I missing something?

Or pissing off the ISU/IOC/WADA/CAS even more, lol.

TBH no one in Russia seems to care about that. They have at least half those orgs in their pocket.

Vagabond

It seems like the Russian Olympic Committee and Skating Federation are happy to simply pretend this didn't happen. Why would she lose government funding by keeping Kamilla? Am I missing something?
As has been discussed a bit in this thread, skaters banned by the ISU apparently cannot participate in domestic competitions. This may also mean that they cannot participate in shows in which eligible skaters can participate.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
As has been discussed a bit in this thread, skaters banned by the ISU apparently cannot participate in domestic competitions. This may also mean that they cannot participate in shows in which eligible skaters can participate.

That is true in countries that follow the rules, yes. My concern is that it didn’t seem like Russia intended to validate the ISU/WADA/CAS decisions by abiding by them.

coppertop1

You are correct that ordinals are irrelevant in this case, but factored placements are in effect if you assume each sub-event is worth an equal 1.0 weight. Earlier in the thread some objected to simply summing up the raw scores because the Men's results would be given extra weight--this could be addressed by a weighting such as Men=1.0, Pairs=1.4, Dance=1.2, and Women=1.4 (just picking a weighting summing to 5.0 so that 50 would be the maximum score) such that the average factored scores would be similar for each segment.

I will probably regret revisiting the results, but let's say as a hypothetical that the ISU had disqualified EVERY ROC competitor (as many have suggested) and moved up everyone who finished below an ROC competitor in their segment. After the short programs and rhythm dance, there would be a flip-flop:

ORIGINAL RESULTS / DISQUALIFY ROC
Team M-P-D-W TOT / M-P-D-W TOT [+/-]
ROC 8-9-9-10 36 / 0-0-0-0 0 [-36]
USA 10-8-10-6 34 / 10-9-10-7 36 [+2]
JPN 9-7-4-9 29 / 9-8-5-10 32 [+3]
CAN 3-6-7-8 24 / 4-7-8-9 28 [+4]
CHN 5-10-6-1 22 / 6-10-7-2 25 [+3]
GEO 7-5-3-7 22 / 8-6-4-8 26 [+4]
ITA 6-4-8-2 20 / 7-5-9-3 24 [+4]
CZE 4-3-5-3 15 / 5-4-6-4 19 [+4]
GER 2-0-1-5 8 / 3-0-2-6 11 [+3]
UKR 0-2-2-4 8 / 0-3-3-5 11 [+3]

If the ISU had disqualified every ROC competitor, ROC drops to last place and USA moves to 1st, JPN to 2nd, and CAN to 3rd position entering the free skate/dance portion of the Team Event where only the top five teams advance. While the point spreads may be altered by a point, there is no RELATIVE change among USA-JPN-CAN. HOWEVER, now there's a problem determining who SHOULD have moved on to the finals regarding CHN and GEO. Under the original scoring, CHN won a tiebreaker with GEO to place 5th so the host nation advanced to the finals. But if ROC had been DQ'd in its entirety, GEO jumps all the way from 6th to 4th place while CHN remains in 5th--simply from removing the ROC results. Is that a fair outcome? Arguably, GEO should be advanced (or perhaps both CHN and GEO) by the retroactive application two years later of "moving everyone up".

Of course, the chances for further flip-flops increases if you have EIGHT sub-events (with the free skates) rather than limiting the analysis to the initial FOUR sub-events. As an aside, using a 10-9-8-7-6 scale for the free skate/dance segments was also a rather dumb idea (perhaps the Free Skate/Dance should have been weighted double like in the old days?). The placements in the finals also would also have been altered if you eliminate all the ROC skaters. Especially if the GEO skaters had been permitted to compete in the finals instead of or in addition to the CHN skaters. Maybe no one else on FSU cares about some potential flip-flops among the 4th-5th-6th place teams based upon the ISU's decision, but it wouldn't be too hard to construct scenarios where the medal positions would be impacted by throwing out all the ROC results.

For those who may remember this notorious results (that also benefited Russia!), I believe that the death knell to the ordinals PLUS factored placements was what happened at the 1997 European Championships when Alexei Urmanov of RUS drew an inside straight to pull up from 6th to 1st after the Short Program:

The RELATIVE results of many skaters flip-flopped during the Men's Free Skating, and Speedy led the charge for the ISU to dump both systems. Yet somehow, the great minds at the ISU thought that bringing back a version of the Factored Placements to the Olympics for the Team Event was a good idea! Some conspiracy theorists believed the judges "gamed" the ordinals, and thereby the factored placements, to manipulate 1994 Olympic Gold Medalist Urmanov to a European Gold Medal. If the 2022 Team Event had been closer between ROC and the rest of the field, there was the potential for the manipulation of placements as well. That's why I believe that simply adding up the raw scores, or factoring/weighting them as I suggested above, would be an improvement.
You're giving us a headache. Just stop

DreamSkates

What a mess. I just hope that if there are further appeals or suing, that gold and silver would be awarded without further waiting. If it’s a question of Canada or ROC getting bronze. But if it reshuffles everyone, then I throw up my hands in exasperation. Which of course makes no difference to anyone but me. 🤪

danafan

Canadian ladies über

skategal

Bunny mama

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Skate Canada is officially appealing.

I think it's great that they said they hoped the US and Japan get their medals in a timely manner - IOW don't wait for us.

coppertop1

What really pisses me off is the blatant arrogance and disrespect by Russia. Telling everyone else to get over it and saying "Why don't you learn to complete better?", which is basically taunting everyone about the doping and the rubbing it in. Yet, they whine whenever they don't win. It's just nauseating

Ena Grins

You know, I've been dealing with some knee pain preventing me from running as much as I would like these days while I prep for a half marathon. I would love some of those delicious strawberries.

Glad Skate Canada is appealing, and glad they're explicitly advocating for the US and Japan to get their medals as soon as possible.

SkateFanBerlin

Who does Canada appeal to? ISU? But, who within the ISU? Is there an appeals procedure there. Or, do they take it to some higher sports authority? I don`t know who that might be.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Who does Canada appeal to? ISU? But, who within the ISU? Is there an appeals procedure there. Or, do they take it to some higher sports authority? I don`t know who that might be.

The appeal is going to the ISU because the ISU is responsible for determining the winners of the Olympic medals. The press release about the re-allocation of the team medals refers to "the decision by the ISU Council", so presumably the appeal is going to go to the Council.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information