Carolla5501

My podiatrist recommended Voltaren about four months ago for pain caused by an irritated tendon. I used it only a few times. I had bought it at Walgreens without a prescription. When I had a fall six weeks ago and my right hand was hurting (fingers) I used it sometimes. Will stop using it now.

Maybe you should take medical advice from your MD and not unknown people of here?

Andrea82

ISU Council statement

Further to the International Skating Union’s (ISU) Statement of January 30, 2024 regarding Kamila Valieva (ROC), the ISU takes the discussions within the Figure Skating community and the media with regard to the re-ranking of teams for the Olympic Winter Games (OWG) Beijing 2022 Team event very seriously.

The ISU wishes to express its understanding and appreciation for the patience of the Skaters and ISU Member Federations involved in the Team event, together with their families, friends and fans. They have already waited two years for certainty over the final results and medal distribution.

The opportunity to be awarded the correct medals within the special environment of an Olympic Winter Games was lost due to an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV). While all involved are determined to ensure proper recognition for the rightful medalists, we regret that moment in Beijing cannot be replicated.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) decision announced on January 29 that the retroactive application of Kamila Valieva’s disqualification is the responsibility of the sports organization concerned, notably the ISU. The ISU has remained resolved to ensure that the applicable rules and principles as well as the CAS decision are correctly followed, and that any changes to the results were applied accordingly.

The decision of the ISU Council with regard to the consequences to the official results of the Team event of Beijing 2022, clearly expressed in the ISU Statement of January 30, 2024, was based on a comprehensive evaluation from legal experts. This evaluation was, in turn, founded on the applicable rules and principles that are specific to this OWG Team event and is, therefore, the only decision that complies with the CAS Panel’s award. For the sake of clarity Rule 353 para 4 in the ISU Special Regulations is not applicable in this case.

In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident in question. Therefore, we have to abide by the rules and principles. In light of this case, we will further clarify the rules and principles moving forward to ensure any such cases are dealt with more efficiently in the future.

The CAS decision itself may be subject to appeal, therefore the ISU will not be discussing this matter in further detail in public at this stage.

The ISU notes with disappointment and concern the possible circumstances in which a minor has been found to have committed a significant ADRV. The ISU is fully committed to taking any appropriate steps to ensure the protection and safeguarding of all athletes, uphold the ethical behavior of the entourage and to continue the fight for clean sport and the integrity and fairness of skating competitions.

Edit:
just as a reminder, the composition of ISU council is as follows

Jae Youl Kim (South Korea)
Tron Espeli (Norway) 1st Vice President - Speed Skating
Benoit Lavoie (Canada) 2nd Vice President - Figure Skating
Speed Skating members
Suwanna Silpa-Archa (Thailand)
Sergio Anesi (Italy)
Stoytcho Stoytchev (Bulgaria)
Albert Hazelhoff (Netherlands)
Alexander Kibalko (Russia)
Figure Skating members
Patricia St. Peter (USA)
Tatsuro Matsumura (Japan)
Susanna Rahkamo (Finland)
György Elek (Hungary)
Maria Teresa Samaranch (Spain)
Athletes Commission Representative
Eric Radford (Canada)

Last edited:

VGThuy

In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident in question. Therefore, we have to abide by the rules and principles. In light of this case, we will further clarify the rules and principles moving forward to ensure any such cases are dealt with more efficiently in the future.

I'm not sure how that really applies because if you just move everybody up one point, the ranks will relatively remain unchanged. It's only Russia who ends up losing a medal, but they already lost their unofficial first place ranking when they removed Valieva's score, and it will only make sense for the ISU to change the rankings up one.

I get that this could have been a much bigger mess had Valieva not simply won both portions of the women's event, but the idea of equity shows giving this remedy harms nobody except for the ROC who is already harmed by losing the unofficial initial first place ranking. And they have time to fix this issue for the next Olympic Team Event.

If anything, by keeping the same points while removing Valieva's points to the ROC team total, Valieva is still AFFECTING the team event because her place is currently affecting the points the other women skaters allocated in the women's team event. So this decision DQed Valieva but the effect of her placement is still hurting her competitors. That defeats the entire purpose of DQing somebody.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
ISU Council statement

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) decision announced on January 29 that the retroactive application of Kamila Valieva’s disqualification is the responsibility of the sports organization concerned, notably the ISU. The ISU has remained resolved to ensure that the applicable rules and principles as well as the CAS decision are correctly followed, and that any changes to the results were applied accordingly.

The decision of the ISU Council with regard to the consequences to the official results of the Team event of Beijing 2022, clearly expressed in the ISU Statement of January 30, 2024, was based on a comprehensive evaluation from legal experts. This evaluation was, in turn, founded on the applicable rules and principles that are specific to this OWG Team event and is, therefore, the only decision that complies with the CAS Panel’s award. For the sake of clarity Rule 353 para 4 in the ISU Special Regulations is not applicable in this case.

LMFAO.

So, basically - "no, Canada, Rule 353 doesn't apply, but we're not telling anyone which rules DO apply, so just suck it up and accept our math, buttercups."

VGThuy

Skate Canada and/or the individual athletes should sue the ISU. Then the ISU officials can discuss that with their ”legal experts”. I would also sue the Russian Fed and/or other official ministry for damages. Hell, I would sue Valieva too, through her parents since she’s a minor.

honey

“In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident in question. Therefore, we have to abide by the rules and principles. In light of this case, we will further clarify the rules and principles moving forward to ensure any such cases are dealt with more efficiently in the future.”

This is the funniest shit I’ve ever seen. They have absolutely adversely affected a team who had nothing to do with the incident. Seems more like they tried very hard not to adversely affect the team who was directly related to this incident.

Colonel Green

ISU Council statement

In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident in question.
LOL, these guys are so ****ing dumb.
I'm not sure how that really applies because if you just move everybody up one point, the ranks will relatively remain unchanged. It's only Russia who ends up losing a medal, but they already lost their unofficial first place ranking when they removed Valieva's score, and it will only make sense for the ISU to change the rankings up one.
Yeah, I get that it would be awkward if a competitor getting disqualified inadvertently knocked another team off the podium by giving more points to a third team, but…them’s the breaks? It’s a competition, you earn ordinals based on your placement. Basically they’re saying they’re going to screw over teams that would benefit from reallocation to protect teams that wouldn’t. Which undermines the whole idea of the event.

Skate Canada and/or the individual athletes should sue the ISU. Then the ISU officials can discuss that with their ”legal experts”.
If/when the ISU council approves this, it will be appealed immediately. The ISU doesn’t have a leg to stand on here.

coppertop1

The ISU is going to make FIFA look better at this rate. And making USA and Japan be on the podium with the country that caused them to not receive their medal? Yuck. If there's a medal ceremony in Paris, I go Russia gets booed. Remember when the crowd in Rio booed the Russians who had doped?

VGThuy

As a show of solidarity, the athletes from the US and Japan and their respective federations (if they have the guts) should refuse to accept their medals unless they reallocate the points to where Canada gets the bronze. They already waited this long and, after the appeal, will most likely be solidified as the rightful gold and silver medalists and be entered into the records as such, so I hope they can be persuaded to wait a little longer to wrap their hands around their earned medals. Assuming, they think Canada should get the bronze. If the appeal doesn't go Skate Canada's way, then should the athletes accept their medals but refuse to do so with the ROC.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ashley Wagner and Adam Ripon were talking about this on their podcast last week. I’m paraphrasing, but they basically said they were afraid to ingest anything. They stayed away from poppyseed muffins, they worried about protein shakes and multi vitamins.

I find it really hard to believe that most athletes in the USA are taking all kinds of supplements for this very reason. The risk of ingesting something banned by accident is just too high to do it.

Worth noting that in the US supplements aren't regulated by the FDA and are notorious for being contaminated with a variety of other substances.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was thinking about this last night. Did the ISU re-rank the Women's competitors at Euros? Did Leona get a Gold Medal sent to her and has the official record been changed? I haven't heard that it did. But I haven't heard that the title is vacant either.

If they did not move all the women up a place, that gives support to their argument that they shouldn't do that for the Team event. But, if they did, then they have a lot of explaining to do as to why rule 353 doesn't apply.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
The ISU:
The ISU notes with disappointment and concern the possible circumstances in which a minor has been found to have committed a significant ADRV. The ISU is fully committed to taking any appropriate steps to ensure the protection and safeguarding of all athletes, uphold the ethical behavior of the entourage and to continue the fight for clean sport and the integrity and fairness of skating competitions.

But also the ISU: including the coach of the doped minor at any and all ISU skating competitions. See you at Worlds, Eteri. :rolleyes:

honey

I was thinking about this last night. Did the ISU re-rank the Women's competitors at Euros? Did Leona get a Gold Medal sent to her and has the official record been changed? I haven't heard that it did. But I haven't heard that the title is vacant either.

If they did not move all the women up a place, that gives support to their argument that they shouldn't do that for the Team event. But, if they did, then they have a lot of explaining to do as to why rule 353 doesn't apply.
The initial statement specified that the 2022 euros results have everyone moving up a spot.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

airgelaal

Wait a minute. Can someone translate from ISU language into human English? :confused:

Andrea82

This would have been their chance to do that. Unless the ISU Council rejects this, it will go to a CAS appeal, and CAS has no authority to propose something like that. CAS will have to decide whether or not to order the ISU to recalculate the points, which means one bronze medal.
That statement was by ISU Council itself.

Decisions of ISU Council meeting 7 February
3. Kamila Valieva case
The Council further reviewed the consequences of the verdict of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in the case of Ms. Kamila Valieva for the results of the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games Figure Skating Team event and decided to issue an additional, separate statement on this matter.

and that separate statement was that thing posted above.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Wait a minute. Can someone translate from ISU language into human English? :confused:
They’re imagining a scenario where the initial results are:

Team A
Team B
Team C
Team D

But then a skater from Team A is disqualified and in the process gives enough additional points to Team D to put them on the podium over Team C.

Which would indeed suck for Team C, but that is the result that fair competition would require, and not doing so would be unfair to Team D. But of course, that’s also not the scenario we’re in; the only team that loses in this case of the points are reallocated is Team A.

honey

So they applied the rules in a way so that something that wasn’t even in jeopardy of happening here, wouldn’t affect the end results. And this matters even though they’ll be cleaning up their rules in the future so it’s clear and not confusing? And in a roundabout way telling us that they know their current rules are not clear on how it’s supposed to go, but they just decided on this specific outcome because of an incase situation that doesn’t apply here. k.

In the spirit of what they are saying; fine, clarify your rules if you don’t want retroactive recalculating. But they don’t seem to have rules right now that say that is how this should go and by choosing to try to apply it now while confirming this needs to be clarified in future rules leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
They’re imagining a scenario where the initial results are:

Team A
Team B
Team C
Team D

But then a skater from Team A is disqualified and in the process gives enough additional points to Team D to put them on the podium over Team C.

Which would indeed suck for Team C, but that is the result that fair competition would require, and not doing so would be unfair to Team D. But of course, that’s also not the scenario we’re in; the only team that loses in this case of the points are reallocated is Team A.

So the argument @Yuri tried to sell us :rofl:

Their argument, btw, is a copout because they also imply they are going to rewrite the rules for the team event to prevent questions in the future.

And then there is that document I and @Karen-W both linked some days ago where rule 353 is mentioned in regards to the team event.

They made an emotional decision, not a logical one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information