Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's not a question of if they could have competed with only 3 athletes. In other team sports, a DQ for one athlete is a DQ for the team. See the example of the 2000 women's gymnastics team event. Dong Fangxiao was found to be underage after the fact. They didn't simply delete her results and recalculate the team event scores as if she wasn't there (even though that is possible in gymnastics). They DQed the whole team. The team COULD have competed without her, but that didn't come into play. She competed and a team with an ineligible athlete is fully DQed.
This is a better comparison than Raducan in the All-Around.

But it should be added that this way of handling things was perhaps influenced by what happened in 2008, where the US women lost a gold to the Chinese women, who were also allegedly using ineligible gymnasts.

Happily for FIG and IOC, the US was the team that went from no medal to bronze by the 2000 Chinese team's disqualification.

So this was a harsh decision when viewed in isolation, especially because there was still a dropped score in gymnastics at this time that could have been substituted for the ineligible gymnast's score, but a compromise decision in light of allegations against the 2008 team.

ignosk8er

Still keeping casual fans' ignorance.
Truly I'm happiest for him. He's really put his neck out and been honest about how this has been for him and everyone involved. I hope he's already updated his resume to say Olympic champion Vincent Zhou.
Me too. I've gained huge respect for him since the Olys.

I think he's updated his IG:
• US Figure Skater | Olympic & World Medalist
• Economics @ BrownU
• TedX Speaker | AAPI & Youth Leader
• Writer @tears__in__rain

YourBorneo

Now is the Winter of our missed content
I love the spin attempts as if “you don’t know what really happened, she could have been sleeping on her back in a field of poppies and some TMZ-filled rain droplets fell from the sky and went into her open mouth and you can’t prove this didn’t happen and therefore she cannot be guilty.” This is all two years too late, if you ask me.

The CAS ruling is very clear that she is responsible and is being held accountable. Get over it.

skategal

Bunny mama
I love the spin attempts as if “you don’t know what really happened, she could have been sleeping on her back in a field of poppies and some TMZ-filled rain droplets fell from the sky and went into her open mouth and you can’t prove this didn’t happen and therefore she cannot be guilty.” This is all two years too late, if you ask me.

The CAS ruling is very clear that she is responsible and is being held accountable. Get over it.
Yes and her own statements and lawyers don’t even say anything like that.

Her defence was she got it from Grandpa.

Unlikely she got it from Grandpa but she admits she actually took TMZ herself.

So I’m not sure what those spin attempts are trying to prove. :lol:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
There’s no evidence this wasn’t an accident
It doesn’t matter; she was doped even if she didn’t do it herself. And if you really believe it was “accidental,” I have a bridge for sale for you.

In Brooklyn.

Cheap…

And really, aren’t you still too busy demanding that Evan Lysacek should have his gold medal revoked to even fret about this? 🙄😵‍💫

barbk

Fantastic news! Every clean athlete affected by this whole mess has lost things that can never be fully restored, but I hope it helps to see justice done.

Now fix the Olympic rules so they apply equally to all competitors regardless of age.
The statement indicated that the doping rules don't vary based on age.
"The CAS Panel stressed that the test with respect to intention under Clause 12.2 of the Russian ADR is one and the same whether the athlete is an adult or a Protected Person. It means that if a Protected Person fails to discharge the burden (which under the Russian ADR is borne by the athlete) that he or she did not commit ADRV intentionally, there is no basis under the rules to treat them any differently from an
adult athlete."

barbk

The statement indicated that the doping rules don't vary based on age.
"The CAS Panel stressed that the test with respect to intention under Clause 12.2 of the Russian ADR is one and the same whether the athlete is an adult or a Protected Person. It means that if a Protected Person fails to discharge the burden (which under the Russian ADR is borne by the athlete) that he or she did not commit ADRV intentionally, there is no basis under the rules to treat them any differently from an
adult athlete."
I'm unclear as to why the Russian ADR applies vs. an international rule.

Ena Grins

Also, generally WADA does not care very much if something was an accident. Athletes are considered responsible for paying attention to and knowing what they use, take, and ingest. I think people forget that's what made the original decision to allow her to compete at the Olympics so shocking - it was completely out of line with how most other doping cases are treated regardless of intent.

YourBorneo

Now is the Winter of our missed content
Yes and her own statements and lawyers don’t even say anything like that.

Her defence was she got it from Grandpa.

Unlikely she got it from Grandpa but she admits she actually took TMZ herself.

So I’m not sure what those spin attempts are trying to prove. :lol:
It’s disinformation that attempts to introduce fake information - deliberately intended to mislead others with the desired result of good people wasting energy sorting truth from lies, becoming exhausted and ultimately disengaging from the entire matter. Energy and attention no longer focused on the original problem (why the Russian doping machine and this individual case matter) just reinforces the status quo and minimizes the potential for change and progress that would strip them of power/prestige/position.

Rainbow

This is a better comparison than Raducan in the All-Around.

But it should be added that this way of handling things was perhaps influenced by what happened in 2008, where the US women lost a gold to the Chinese women, who were also allegedly using ineligible gymnasts.

Happily for FIG and IOC, the US was the team that went from no medal to bronze by the 2000 Chinese team's disqualification.

So this was a harsh decision when viewed in isolation, especially because there was still a dropped score in gymnastics at this time that could have been substituted for the ineligible gymnast's score, but a compromise decision in light of allegations against the 2008 team.
The Rythmic Gymnastics Worlds 2001 would be a pretty accurate comparison. Even the timeline with delayed test results is similar. The whole Russian Team was disqualified https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_World_Rhythmic_Gymnastics_Championships

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
i'm so sad we were denied Alexa's olympic champion swagger era

Why do you support doping/cheating? She shouldn't have been at the Olympics anyway. The real victim here is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, who watched the Olympics from home.
These are the two real tragedies of this situation. We were denied Alexa in all of her Olympic champion swagger glory and we were denied La Tukt being able to call herself an Olympian. If the ROC and RFSF had any self-respect, they'd name Liza to their 2026 Olympic team.

Hedwig

Antique member

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information