Underused classical music

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I also kind of want someone to skate to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody. I love the way it builds at this, the most iconic part.
Christopher Bowman skated to it, right?

After the 2-minute mark here -

p.s. Look at the face of coach Frank Carroll at the boards. 😂

Last edited:

Seerek

I also kind of want someone to skate to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody. I love the way it builds at this, the most iconic part.

Yuhana Yokoi skated to a piano only version of it this season

A young Nikolaj Majorov skated to it, but did not use the iconic part , choosing to use Czardas instead

And before that, Nan Song skated to it in the 2012 season

skateboy

Christopher Bowman skated to it, right?

After the 2-minute mark here -

p.s. Look at the face of coach Frank Carroll at the boards. 😂
Elaine Zayak skated to it, too! 1984 Olympics.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Being posted primarily for Ilia Malinin: fabulous jumping music by Mendelssohn, from NYCB-Balanchine’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream (the scene of Hippolyta and the hounds):

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I think I post this everytime there is a classical music thread but here goes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpsHUUHZb9w&list=WL&index=4

I would love to see someone from dance or any discipline skate to Arturo Marquez Danzon No. 2 or any other Danzon music. I would really love to see Danzon included in the Ice Dance Latin Rhythms, for that matter.

Riazanova/Tkachenko had a FD to either that one or another Danzon by Marquez when they had just teamed up.

eusebius

Shostakovich symphony 5, slow movement. I cannot imagine a better response to the illegal war in Ukraine than this crushing lament. I know he was Russian but after listening to this I cannot imagine that he approved of ANY war or oppression.

eusebius

Ok I just watched Turkkila/Versluis FD from Worlds and I don’t care that she biffed the twizzles. They skated to 2 late Schubert piano pieces that I’ve been playing for decades and I must now stan them forever. 😍🥳

Edited because I can’t spell in Finnish 🤦‍♀️

SkateFanBerlin

Shostakovich symphony 5, slow movement. I cannot imagine a better response to the illegal war in Ukraine than this crushing lament. I know he was Russian but after listening to this I cannot imagine that he approved of ANY war or oppression.
Particulary, since he was the target of so much of it. For a period of time he slept in the lobby of his building with a packed suitcase. So, if the authorities came for him they would leave his family out of it.

eusebius

Particulary, since he was the target of so much of it. For a period of time he slept in the lobby of his building with a packed suitcase. So, if the authorities came for him they would leave his family out of it.
It occurs to me that Chopin also left Poland in part because of a Russian invasion of his country…

layman

Anything by Johannes Brahms (his music may be difficult to edit down to skating lengths but it's beautiful and criminally under-used). Anything by Haydn. I don't remember the last time a Haydn piece was used and there is so much material to choose from...over 100 Symphonies, Operas, Oratorios, Piano Trios, Piano Sonatas...just so, so much (beautiful) music that's almost never used by skaters. Beethoven's Cellos Sonatas and Piano Trios are rarely used. Mozart's divine Operas are rarely used and many of his Piano Concerti have never been used. Rather than the overused Black Swan, I would like to see a cool and nutty skating program set to music from Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. Beside his greatest hit, Berlioz also wrote a vast body of Concerti, Choral works, Oratorios, Operas and Songs that could provide wonderful skating music. We (on rare occasions) hear Carl Maria Von Weber's Invitation to Dance in skating, but he wrote many Overtures, Operas, and Piano pieces that would also work beautifully for skating. Dvorak wrote a beautiful piano concerto that's never been used, plus eight symphonies (1-8, not counting the New World) that are rarely used. Besides Schubert's "Unfinished" Symphony and one or two songs, the rest of his vast output of Symphonies, Songs, Piano pieces, Piano Trios, and lots of other Chamber music (the Trout anyone?) has rarely or never been used by skaters. Robert Schumann wrote beautiful Symphonies, a Piano Concerto and a vast body of Piano music and Songs that would be excellent choices for skaters. Clara Schumann wrote a Piano Concerto, other Concertante works, a Piano Trio, Piano miniatures and Songs that would make excellent skating music. I would love to see skaters use more of the music of Scandinavian composers Grieg (besides his overused Piano Concerto) and Sibelius. I would love to see skaters use the music of Florence Price, who wrote beautiful, imaginative Symphonies, Overtures, Choral works, Piano pieces and Songs. Liszt wrote a vast body of piano music (other than Liebestraume) that's rarely been used by skaters, plus Piano Concerti and Tone Poems that would make excellent skating music. Joseph Bologne (his biopic is playing in theaters now) wrote Symphonies, Violin Concerti, Symphonia Concertante works, String Quartets, and Operas (one survives) that have never been used by skaters. I could go on and on and on and on. There is just so much under-used and unused Classical music that skaters can choose from (and give the chestnuts a rest).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Things I played in orchestra that I wanted to skate to:
Cavalleria Rusticana Intermezzo
@alexikeguchi I've always loved this piece! :) IIRC, Boitano once had a professional program to it, maybe?

Re-posting @YukiNieve's June 10th show info here from the "Spring-Summer 2023 Club Ice Shows & Benefits" thread in GSD (thank you! :)): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ice-shows-benefits.110383/page-3#post-6440999

"Lorraine [McNamara] and Anton [Spiridonov] skated to Cavalleria Rusticana and I love their softer movements and expressions."
An exhibition program, presumably?
Had a great time at Ice On Fire show.

The program:

It was always so refreshing to see young skaters at all levels and various disciplines!
Lorraine and Anton skated to Cavalleria Rusticana and I love their softer movements and expressions.
Ilia told me that he was skating as he was listening to the live orchestra music (Chariots of Fire), which was not easy thing to do.
Keegan skated 6-minute program for Gershwin, which was very entertaining. And he was so sweet to stay in the rink to take photos with many young skaters until the end - his flight was leaving tonight! (Hope that he did not miss the flight).
Gracie's skate was stunningly beautiful.
Loudoun [VA] Symphony Orchestra was really good!

SidelineSkater

I'm sure I've posted these suggestions somewhere before (maybe).

Ginastera's Estancia Ballet has some wonderful music, including Malambo

It's a slow burn, but Shostakovich's Fire of Eternal Glory is beautiful - this a drum corp version, but an orchestral one would be beautiful too.

Also love Make Our Garden Grow (without the vocals - they can get super high for the soprano and isn't my favorite) from Bernstein's Candide.
The Overture to Candide is fun too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovFVC2ZsOc4

It's been awhile since we've had anything from Holst's The Planets.

Sylvia

TBD
Time to bump up this thread too! :)

ETA - re-posting from the other Program Music suggestions thread I bumped up recently:
First dibs to Ilia Malinin: Dvorak’s New World Symphony 4th movement “Allegro con Fuoco” or “Allegro con Quado!”…just picture the quad axel, then a quad combo, to the music:

Deniss Vasiljevs skated to this last year but the musical cuts were odd.

Ilia should go to 1:45 mark, then from 9:00 to the end…raspberry twist near the end.
Bebe Liang’s FS in her final season included the New World Symphony: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00005324.htm

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
As we just enjoyed a wonderful performance of NewWorld Symphony at Kennedy Center, I was thinking that some of the most-heard music is most heard for a reason!

Bit when I have time, will check the suggestions here. I love the English romantics and there’s more to life than Lyra Angelica and Lark Ascending.

alexikeguchi

I recently had the opportunity to hear Emanuel Ax play Beethoven in a very intimate chamber music performance, and I would love to hear more of the Sonata Pathetique rather than the Moonlight Sonata. I also think the adagio of the Emperor Concerto in particular is absolutely exquisite.

Icetalavista

99.9% of classical music has never been used for skating, which is a shame, because there is so much great stuff. Off the top of my head, these come to mind:

Tchaikovsky: nobody ever skates to his symphonies 1, 2 or 3, all great. And the Hamlet Overture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxxtFGY5wI

Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky is powerful and fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Du9TXBVlM

La vergine degli angeli from Verdi's La Forza del Destino, for soprano and men's chorus is gloriously beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMYyyLZZr8

Phaeton by Saint-Saens is exciting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZBSGlXkM0
Zagorudniuk skated to A. Nevsky for a LP. It was one of his strongest performances.

eusebius

I recently had the opportunity to hear Emanuel Ax play Beethoven in a very intimate chamber music performance, and I would love to hear more of the Sonata Pathetique rather than the Moonlight Sonata. I also think the adagio of the Emperor Concerto in particular is absolutely exquisite.
Omg don’t get me started 😆 I’m constantly telling my students that Beethoven wrote 32 sonatas and you don’t have to play the bloody Moonlight!

I think the Emperor Concerto adagio with its transition into the joyful finale could make a great long program.

alexikeguchi

Omg don’t get me started 😆 I’m constantly telling my students that Beethoven wrote 32 sonatas and you don’t have to play the bloody Moonlight!

I think the Emperor Concerto adagio with its transition into the joyful finale could make a great long program.
I love that idea! That program would have been beautiful for Asada or Miyahara. I have to think about who among active skaters would perform it best... And then track down their IG to inform them of my learned opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information