Trusova breaks 100 in TES.

bardtoob

Trusova deserved those scores (.)

(... But Team Eteri should never ever give Trusova content at all reminiscent of Lipnitskaya.)

ETA:

Trusova in the Skate Canada 2019 LP (TES Base 88.40) outjumped Nathan Chen in the Skate America 2019 LP (TES Base 78.86)

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Amazing to watch. 100 points. I'm still stunned
She is tiny but so was Tara Lapinksi at 15 and she was a wonder-girl for her era.
So the next question is, if she hits everything also possible in her short program, is there anyone, even Russian newcomers to the senior ranks, beat her? (if she doesn't fall, yada yada)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Amazing to watch. 100 points. I'm still stunned
She is tiny but so was Tara Lapinksi at 15 and she was a wonder-girl for her era.
So the next question is, if she hits everything also possible in her short program, is there anyone, even Russian newcomers to the senior ranks, beat her? (if she doesn't fall, yada yada)
Based on BV? No. Shcherbakova does 2 quad lutzes in her free and Kostornaia has the 3As now, but Sasha's 4 quads will beat them. And although she says she's working on her artistry, I don't think it's really that big a priority. It doesn't matter if she gives up points on PCS because she more than makes them up on the TES score. She's also doing a 3A in the harness, but right now they don't think it's necessary. But, if they want to widen the gap, that would be where they'd do it until the ISU allows the quad in the women's SP. All the top senior girls at Sambo-70 are very different in skills and personality. Trusova is extremely competitive. She wants to be the best. Her idol is not another female skater, but Nathan Chen. They did a show together over the summer and did side by side quads to end the show.

DreamSkates

Based on BV? No. Shcherbakova does 2 quad lutzes in her free and Kostornaia has the 3As now, but Sasha's 4 quads will beat them. And although she says she's working on her artistry, I don't think it's really that big a priority. It doesn't matter if she gives up points on PCS because she more than makes them up on the TES score. She's also doing a 3A in the harness, but right now they don't think it's necessary. But, if they want to widen the gap, that would be where they'd do it until the ISU allows the quad in the women's SP. All the top senior girls at Sambo-70 are very different in skills and personality. Trusova is extremely competitive. She wants to be the best. Her idol is not another female skater, but Nathan Chen. They did a show together over the summer and did side by side quads to end the show.

Thanks for giving some info! Wow, she has Nathan Chen as her skating role model. I can't even imagine what the next Olympics might be - what firepower the ladies will bring. A lady with 4 quads!

umronnie

So that's something to celebrate???
It is if we consider this a sport.
I am unmoved by her skating but cannot deny the groundbreaking athleticism.

I think the ISU has to change the rules to allow ladies to put a quad in the SP. It is only fair. Will it give Trusova and Shcherbakova an insurmountable advantage? Yeah, but they already have one, so what? It's not as if there are a ton of men landing successful quads (not to say 2) in the SP and they are allowed to.

At the same time, the factoring of the PCS has to be changed to match the men's factoring. Since the number of elements is now the same and as there are a NUMBER of ladies performing quads and 3As, same as the guys, the playing field should be level.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Women fight so hard for equal recognition as men in sports. The only professional sports organization to offer equal prize money to men and women is pro surfing. Trusova is an amazing athlete and should be accorded the same recognition as a man would for doing equal feats. Her TES was not that far below Hanyu's and she doesn't have the benefit of two triple axels. It's :rolleyes: that people whine that she skates through the music, or doesn't glide to their satisfaction and ignore what she can do. But, it doesn't matter in the long run what anybody else thinks. To paraphrase her younger brother, she crushes her opponents.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder why this negativity is not present in other sports. Any time we see a sportsman breaking a record, people seems to be amazed about what is possible and happy for the person to be ‘the first one’. In skating, many people bring up a list of injuries his team mates have suffered, any perceived abuse (such as delaying the puberty, even though there is no proof that it is what Trusova is currently doing) and whatever other reasons they can think of, to cover their unhappiness that it is this particular girl that broke the world record. I do understand that people wish the achievements came from the skaters from their own countries, I also understand how much the cold war brainwashed people against anything that comes from ‘the other side’, but we are talking about the achievements of a 15 year old girl. Could people look at it and see what it is, rather than what their brain washing tells them to say?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Do you mean the only other professional organization, or that skating is not professional? Because the prize money for men and ladies is equal.
Professional organization since ISU skating is still considered amateur. I don't know how they do fees in professional shows now, but female skaters used to receive substantially less then men.

Sylvia

TBD
I checked the ISU's page for the ladies' TES minimum free skate high scores listed for last season and this season so far and here are the top scores:

100.20 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS GP Skate Canada 2019 26/10/2019
98.34 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS CS 27th Nepela Memorial 2019 21/09/2019
92.20 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019
87.17 Rika KIHIRA JPN GP NHK Trophy 2018 10/11/2018 [82.63 in 2019 Worlds FS]
85.91 Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS CS Finlandia Trophy 2019 13/10/2019
83.54 Alina ZAGITOVA RUS CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2018 28/09/2018 [81.16 in 2019 Worlds FS]
82.15 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS World Team Trophy 2019 13/04/2019
80.12 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ 29th Winter Universiade 2019 09/03/2019 [78.97 in 2019 Worlds FS]
79.64 Bradie TENNELL USA World Team Trophy 2019 13/04/2019
78.37 Young YOU KOR CS U.S. International Figure Skating Classic 2019 21/09/2019
76.60 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS World Championships 2019 22/03/2019
75.41 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN GP Skate America 2018 21.10.2018
75.40 Mai MIHARA JPN 29th Winter Universiade 2019 09.03.2019
75.18 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN World Championships 2019 22.03.20109

JUNIOR
86.96 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS World Junior Championships 2019 09/03/2019
83.96 Kamila VALIEVA RUS JGP Chelyabinsk 2019 14/09/2019
83.94 Alysa LIU USA JGP Baltic Cup 2019 20/09/2019
80.79 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS World Junior Championships 2019 09/03/2019
75.44 Kseniia SINITSYNA RUS JGP Egna/Neumarkt 2019 05/10/2019
74.37 Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS Junior Grand Prix Final 2018/19 08/12/2018

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posting this here [From Russia with love thread] even though Alysa Liu is mentioned...

Pretty much a redux of the discussion that's been on here for years but nice to see a general interest skating article in a big news outlet.
@zigzig or anyone else with a WSJ subscription, can you post a relevant excerpt?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information