Time travel - Back to the Future, Star Trek, Quantum Leap

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I didn't get the 11-5 references popping up on my social media this weekend UNTIL I saw Michael Fox and Christopher Lloyd in a photo this morning (duh, Back to the Future). I figure we can all use a bit of distraction from the world. What did you think would be and what did you not imagine could be and what futuristic thing did seem to happen.

Jetson's cartoon in 1960. George did work from home talking with his boss via TV screen. ZOOM in the first incarnation! Selecting your meal and prepared meal from a machine-sort of MICROWAVE.

Star Trek - the portable medical scanners. We have pulse oximeters. Apps on your phone to do EKG BP readings, UltraSound devices to assist nurses in starting IV'S.

That's my start, i can come up with more. Anyone else want to play along?

Cachoo

Great idea! "Minority Report", one of my favorite movies, has a scene when Tom Cruise and Samantha Morton enter a virtual reality rental shop where you rent a room and settle in with your equipment and your fantasies. Of course it is more advanced than what we have now but there are virtual reality arcades popping up with rooms, time and equipment for rent.

And this is the opposite: A show that looks at something that exists and presents it's own application. A Boston company invented the robotic "Big Dog." I thought it was cool until I saw "Metalhead" on "Black Mirror" and found that realistic and frightening. And since then I believe MIT has come up with the smaller, faster, smarter "Cheetah." When you find out what they can do and think back to "Metalhead" it is disconcerting.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
The 1936 British film "Things to Come", for its scenes set in 2036, featured a stories-high telescreen on the exterior of a building.

Cachoo

Minority Report again: Facial recognition coupled with advertisements that are specifically selected for each person. Today ads about Godiva chocolates and gift baskets are following me everywhere on the web as I purchased both as gifts recently. I loathe the day when I walk into a store and have things flashing at me due to facial recognition.

Blade Runner: Of course the cities are seedy in Blade Runner but there is a lot of neon and a lot of big screens everywhere. More and more in most larger cities you do see more colorful neon at night as a matter of course, not just the Vegas type of hotspots.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Jetson's cartoon in 1960. George did work from home talking with his boss via TV screen. ZOOM in the first incarnation! Selecting your meal and prepared meal from a machine-sort of MICROWAVE.
Ahem. WebEx (and others) existed WAY before Zoom! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information