The Video Game thread

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
If they rot your brain senseless, well then rot and bafgzjxjusueph your thoughts on them here. :inavoid:

I've been playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix 2 HD remaster lately and I love it. :swoon: also am a fan of the new Assassins Creed: Rogue and have contemplated Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within but have heard mixed reviews. I'm just getting back into playing after a long hiatus.. It's amazing how much things have progressed lol.

Last edited:

reckless

I've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition when I have time. I'm also playing Marvel Puzzle Quest on my phone. I strongly recommend people avoid the latter; it's totally addictive.

VGThuy

Two of my friends and I spent an hour and a half custom making my Dragon Age: Inquisition character. It was worth it. She looks pretty hot.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
A lot of people talk about that game whenever the topic arises, I think ill end up trying it. I would love a customized Dragon Age character that looks pretty hot.

antmanb

I have The Evil Within and played the first few areas before I got a little bit bored, but i do like the horror/gore genre and zombie games are always good fun. I thought i'd leave it til Christmas when I have a bit more time to dedicate to it. I also got Far Cry 4 and similarly started out getting the hang of the control and game play and think i could really get into this game. I'll probably have more to say over the Christmas holidays.

I have loved all of the Assassins Creed games on the PS3 but haven't played any of the PS4 ones yet. My favourite types of games are the Tomb Raider and Uncharted franchises.

michiruwater

I only got into video games within the last year and a half or so and I've spent a fair amount of that absolutely obsessed with Skyrim. I just bought the Fallout series and a few others today. Also a huge fan of the Portal series.

I play exclusively with Steam so far.

My husband got me hooked on one specific video game about a year after we got together. I have just celebrated my 4th year playing, and have witnessed 3 expansions first hand. Thankfully, my husband plays as well, which has made my experiences much more enjoyable. I'm also not the stereotypical player either, since I'll play when I have the time, and won't let the game consume me. I'm a Troll Hunter, and can say to the public that I play World of Warcraft.

antmanb

Just bumping up this old thread to see if anyone else is playing Nintendo Switch?

I've always loved the Zelda games so I got one for my birthday and I am not disappointed at all. Anyone else playing?

VGThuy

Just bumping up this old thread to see if anyone else is playing Nintendo Switch?

I've always loved the Zelda games so I got one for my birthday and I am not disappointed at all. Anyone else playing?

I bought it, but I haven't had time to play it yet. I'm a huge Zelda fanatic, and I just want to devote enough time to it. It might have to wait for another few months. My brothers and sister love it.

antmanb

I bought it, but I haven't had time to play it yet. I'm a huge Zelda fanatic, and I just want to devote enough time to it. It might have to wait for another few months. My brothers and sister love it.

It has been a complete time suck for me :lol: It's not the kind of game I can play for a short while and then leave, I think three hours straight is the shortest time I've played it because you just go with the intention one small thing and get side tracked and waylaid an before you know it hours have passed.

I've only had a it a few days but have only played on the TV at home rather than playing it as a handheld but i'm looking forward to messing around with it a bit more over the weekend.

One thing I haven't been able to find out is if cartridges are compatible across regions. Nintendo have always historically protected the US, Japan and Europe markets from exchangeable cartridges and I wondered if the Switch was the same.

VGThuy

It has been a complete time suck for me :lol: It's not the kind of game I can play for a short while and then leave, I think three hours straight is the shortest time I've played it because you just go with the intention one small thing and get side tracked and waylaid an before you know it hours have passed.

I've only had a it a few days but have only played on the TV at home rather than playing it as a handheld but i'm looking forward to messing around with it a bit more over the weekend.

One thing I haven't been able to find out is if cartridges are compatible across regions. Nintendo have always historically protected the US, Japan and Europe markets from exchangeable cartridges and I wondered if the Switch was the same.

I read that the Switch, unlike the previous Nintendo systems, is region-free!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-switch/How_to_Play_Games_from_Other_Regions

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I haven't played Zelda since the ocarina of time. It's one of my favorite games ever though!

I'm not going to shell out the money on a new gaming system just so I can play the new Zelda. Maybe I'll just borrow it from someone. Is it really that good? It must be, I'll have to hunt someone down and make some calls.

antmanb

Well it was good enough to book a day off work yesterday so that I could play all day :lol:

The Ocarina of time was my favourite Zelda game of all time....until now. This latest game is just amazing. The world is enormous. All of the reviews say the same thing, but I can't emphasise that part enough - it is just immense and you get so easily side-tracked from both the mission and your intention to do X, Y or Z by things that catch your attention as you're wandering along. I think I've easily played 20 hours, maybe as much as 24 hours so far and I've barely even scratched the surface - I don't think I've even uncovered half the map yet, and outside of the introductory missions that set you up with the tools you need to play the game - I've completed only one big mission (recovering one of the Divine Beasts). I've done a ton of side quests, both intentionally and accidentally :lol: and there's loads if side quests I haven't bothered with yet.

A lot of the reviews say the same thing - it's like the main mission, and all the side quests are completely optional. There's no time constraints and no specific order in which you must complete the main tasks anyway so you're left to your own devices. There's something like 120 Shrines (like the old school dungeons) to find.

You can find yourself wanting to do something and then the weather turns and you're stuck. If it's raining you can't climb up things very well because you slip back down, if a storm comes and it starts to thunder and lightening you better hide somewhere because you will be struck by lightening and die.

I was trying to complete a mission that required me to light something up with a flame but it started raining so my torch kept getting extinguished. I decided to go and do something else (in real life) to wait out the rain. Mr Antmanb shouted out "you know you've left your game running and doing nothing don't you?" my response "yes, it's raining and I need to wait until it stops to finish what I'm doing", his response "this is your idea of fun?". But weirdly, yes it is!

I could go on and on! Also aside from Zelda I've always loved the Mario games so i'm looking forward to Mario Odyssey and also Mario Kart! The portability side of it really appeals too - i'll be totally entertained for the duration of a short haul flight with it in my hand luggage!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
OMG you're killing me here, now I have to get the system!!!

I played Ocarina of Time an unthinkable amount of time in my younger years, I basically became Navi and lived on Zelda's shoulder full-time! :inavoid: :COP: That game was so much fun and so addicting that life ceased to exist for me outside of it, besides school. Thankfully all of my friends thought the same thing so our hangouts usually consisted of Zelda, and then maybe some gymnastics in the yard/trampoline every so often, but that's it.

Can you speed up time at all with the weather? That would make things easier.. so it's a free-roam? Ugh :wall: I'll never end up seeing daylight again, okay I think I'm going to wait until Christmas. That'll give me like a two week window to become a hermit and it's still acceptable. I'll never get any work done if I get it now!! What weapons do you use, and is the ocarina a part of it?

Strangely enough, as obsessed with OoT as I was, I could never really get into Majora's Mask as much, so I've fallen out of touch with Zelda since then. I think there's been like 3 other Zelda's since this newest one. Ive played tons of games since OoT, but much more responsibly! I'm scared and don't trust myself with it just yet.

antmanb

:lol: I can totally relate to being a hermit when Ocarina of Time was out.

No Ocarina in this game (that I've discovered so far, which is basically just the beginning, so who knows) and you can sit by a fire, or go to bed to move time along to dawn, dusk or noon, however, I got stuck up the side of a mountain halfway up when it started raining and it had taken a bit of work to get to where I was so I didn't want to give up and go somewhere else but couldn't climb up the rest of the way in the rain! (Stupidly I didn't think of moving time on when it rained during my fire lighting mission :duh: )

Weapons are interesting in this game because they all break at some point so you can't get too attached to them because none of them last long. There are a few weapons (apparently, I only have one so far)that break and you can take them to specific places to get them fixed, however, the majority do not last so you learn to live with it.

Cooking is the big thing in this game - almost anything you pick up can be used to cook up meals that not only increase your hearts or stamina wheel, but mixing certain ingredients with food will give you meals that e.g. warm up your body so that you can withstand colder temperatures, or withstand hotter temperatures, protect you from taking damage, or specific things (like electricity). It's advisable to go hunting on the planes firing arrows at animals so that you can pick up meat that can be cooked into dishes that replenish a lot of hearts (or can be sold for lots of rupees).

I could go on and on (and on) but will try not to :lol:

antmanb

I don't watch Twitch, but I used to love playing street fighter...though it would frequently cause "StreetFighter Thumb" aka a painful blister on my left thumb from sliding it around the control pad trying to execute special moves :lol:

I spent a loooooooooooooong time on Zelda this weekend. The best part was waking up on Saturday, making a huge pot of coffee to bring back to bed with the Nintendo switch and sat in bed drinking coffee and playing all morning. Best. Saturday. Ever :lol:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I used to get the Street Fighter blister-finger years and years ago, it's painful! :scream: but I still kept choosing Chun Li regardless. :D #Yapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyap

antmanb

I used to get the Street Fighter blister-finger years and years ago, it's painful! :scream: but I still kept choosing Chun Li regardless. :D #Yapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyapyap

:rofl: I found Chun Li less painful than Ryu or Ken with the need to do the down, diagonal across, or across, down diagonal moves. Or M Bison's move that a full semi circle from back to front! My thumb just throbbed remembering trying to do that move!

ETA: In Zelda news - I've recovered another of the Divine Beasts (so have two to go). But i'm slightly less obsessed, and can pull myself away from the game enough to carry on living life and working :lol:

I've given myself smaller goals for weeknights like - unlock another tower (so that it uncovers more of the map) and find a couple of shrines, or do a smaller side quest, or just go and explore for an hour rather than sticking to the main story. I inevitably go over whatever time limit i set, but at least i'm not spending four hours on it of an evening....more like 2....and a half :lol:

antmanb

I played Zelda for hours and hours this weekend, in between family visits. And I realised, when I saved and switched off on Sunday night, that I never actually made it to the next main quest I had been aiming to do this weekend :lol: I was side-tracked by random Shrines, exploring new areas (I've still not quite uncovered all of the map), then got stuck trying to earn enough rupees to buy some new armour (which I did), then explored a new city by [Spoiler tags because it reveals how to do something]
getting in drag :lol:
, by the time I was ready to advance the main plot i'd headed to a new area, found another set of shrines and then got side-tracked finding fast horses :lol:

This game is soooooooooooo good!

oleada

My husband has a PS4 and I've never gotten into it...until now. Most of the video games I played were as a kid - Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc. He's currently playing Skyrim and as a way to stop me from complaining about how much time he was spending playing it, he said I should give it a try.

It is truly insanely addictive and he deeply regrets it because now he has to share. We may need to set a timer like my parents did with my siblings and I :lol: it's his own fault for making it sound like Game of Thrones.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I played Zelda for hours and hours this weekend, in between family visits. And I realised, when I saved and switched off on Sunday night, that I never actually made it to the next main quest I had been aiming to do this weekend :lol: I was side-tracked by random Shrines, exploring new areas (I've still not quite uncovered all of the map), then got stuck trying to earn enough rupees to buy some new armour (which I did), then explored a new city by [Spoiler tags because it reveals how to do something]
getting in drag :lol:
, by the time I was ready to advance the main plot i'd headed to a new area, found another set of shrines and then got side-tracked finding fast horses :lol:

This game is soooooooooooo good!
This is me every time I play Skyrim or Assassins Creed.

antmanb

My husband has a PS4 and I've never gotten into it...until now. Most of the video games I played were as a kid - Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc. He's currently playing Skyrim and as a way to stop me from complaining about how much time he was spending playing it, he said I should give it a try.

It is truly insanely addictive and he deeply regrets it because now he has to share. We may need to set a timer like my parents did with my siblings and I :lol: it's his own fault for making it sound like Game of Thrones.

:rofl: :rofl: I've been very careful to not introduce Mr Antmanb to gaming - he doesn't get it, and I'm fine with that - I don't want to share and we have another room in the house with a TV where I can play :lol:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I've finally gone back to Bioshock Infinite to play the Burial at Sea DLC since I bought the Special Edition last year. I beat the main game and then got sidetracked by the Special Edition of Skyrim for the Xbox One.

I really love Bioshock Infinite, when I'm done Burial at Sea I'm going to go back and play Bioshock properly. I fizzled out on it the first time I played it because I found the gameplay a little awkward. I'm going to power through it this time. I really enjoy the story.

antmanb

I've played a couple of the bioshock games on PS4 and I have to agree that I first I found the gameplay awkward - I think it's probably that I don't play a lot of first person shooter games so I find them weird to adapt to.

In Zelda news I find that i'm purposefully avoiding the main story because I don't want it to end. I'm worried that if I do complete the game I'll not go back to do other things, so i'm taking time now to explore more. I found that once I got all the towers raised and the map uncovered I was doing a lot of teleporting to specific areas to look for specific things instead of just getting lost in the massive world and finding things. So I spent a large chunk of this weekend just wondering around, talking to every person I met and finding new riddles or clues to figure out. I found a couple more of the great fairy fountains where you can upgrade your clothes and armour which require all sorts of weird and wonderful ingredients to upgrade. I found a bowling game where you can win a bunch of rupees :lol: so I stocked up to go and buy supplies in the various shops. The more I wondered around, the more I realised I haven't explored enough as I found another 3 stables with new people and side quests :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information