The Tatsuki Machida thread

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
As long as Machida won a medal in Worlds, it's time for him to win a thread here too. :D Aside from joking, I saw some posters asking about him anywhere on FSU in 2013-2014 season, so I think this thread can be helpful for people who are interested in his news, personality, and situations. ;) I think the article below has some good information about him. So I translate this on the first post of this thread. Please be careful this article is not a new one but it was published in February.

(my rough translation)
Keeping mother and grandmother in his mind: They supported Machida. (Olympics:figure skating)
jiji article published on February the 15th, 2014

(Juji press, in Sochi)Tatsuki Machida(23, Kansai Univ) who placed overall 5th by skating to Firebird has something with him at any time. It is a hand made amulet which his maternal grandmother Kumiko gave him. Kumiko died from cancer several years ago.

The amulet is a red small pouch. Kumiko embroidered Machida skating on it. He always keeps it in the pocket on his warming up jacket, even before he goes out on the ice.

When Kumiko fell sick, he wrote a letter to her "My mother wants to visit Tottori to take care of you, but she can't. She can't leave here since I'm a figure skater. I feel very sorry for it."

Machida's house is in Hiroshima city. Figure skating costs millions of yen per a year for a skater. Since his father is an ordinal company employee, his mother worked in two places at the same time to pay the costs. And due to it she couldn't find time to visit Tottori to take care of her mother. It is said Kimiko dropped tears reading Machida's letter in which he said "sorry".

When Machida was in the second year in his University(my note: he's in the fourth year now), his mother fell sick and spent over a month in the hospital. As he had seen how hard she worked, he said "I'll try my best to earn prize money and to be a skater who will be invited to many shows. So please leave one of your two jobs" to his mother. His mother Yayoi felt relieved by hearing his son's words and also felt her hard work was awarded. She visited Sochi to see her son's skating.

The reason why his parents named him Tatsuki(=tree) was they wished him to grow healthy like a big tree in one of Hitachi's TV commercials which was very popular then.(my note: this is the video of the commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNC8JzV5j8) He was a premature baby. He weighed 2400kg when he was born. They let him go to school in short pants all through the year when he was an elementary student. Machida as an grown-up makes a joke "The way my mother grew me up was ill-treatment", and at the same time he's very grateful that his family supported him greatly.

Thanks so much rosewood for starting this thread in this forum and for the translation of that revealing article about him. I was touched upon reading his mother's sacrifices for him (including not being able to take care of her own mother because she has to take on two jobs for his skating expenses) and happy that she is now witnessing the "fruits" in Tatsuki making it to the Olympics, almost winning Worlds, and getting to skate in a lot of ice shows.

I first noticed Tatsuki when he won last year's Skate America and was blown away by his performance there. I think part of the reason I became a fan was because I feel he does not get as much credit as he deserves. He may not have Daisuke's effortless charisma or Yuzuru's boyish good looks and magnetism, but I think Tatsuki is special in his own way. I also like that he is a bookworm and his being quite the "philosopher." I don't know Japanese unfortunately so much of the material about him is inaccessible to me unless there are kind Japanese speaking fans like you who can translate them. If I may be so importunate, there's this 43 second video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHT1QwQne4Q) showing the reaction of Daisuke, Mao, and Nobunari to Tatsuki's explanation of "timshel." I'm curious to know what Tatsuki said that made them laugh and the question asked of Mao. Thank you in anticipation of your kind consideration of my request for a translation. :)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
^i'm very happy to see your first post is on this thread,Maria Victoria!! :biggrinbo OK I'll translate the video. :)

Machida:
'Timshel' is the very important concept in my short program. The translation of Timshel is "thou mayest". It means 'Carve out your own destiny by yourself' in brief. The word Timshel has strong power inside of itself. :kickass: And Timshel is...

MC:
What do you think about Timshel?

Mao:
Ehhh...don't ask me!! :D

Narration:
Machida-senshu(=shenshu means an athlete) provides us various unique comments other than Timshel...:lol:

Some Japanese Machida fans call him Timshel. :D His skating as well as his words inspires/encourages them. He's called a philosopher on ice by Japanese media these days. Sometimes he's soooooo enthusiastic talking about what he thinks(it is one of the reasons why he's loved by people including Team Japan skaters) and it makes people laugh. Anyways he's loved by people. :cheer:

Last edited:
Thank you for your warm welcome orientalplane and rosewood! rosewood many thanks for the translation! Much appreciated. :) I am glad Tatsuki's getting love from his teammates and the public.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Tokyo-sports article published on February 15th

[Sochi, February 14th〕 Yuzuru Hanyu(19, ANA) won the gold medal in mens' figure skating at Sochi Olympics, while ’philosopher on ice' Tatuski Machida(23, Kansai University) placed 5th. He skated his long program to Firebired and bumped up from 11th to 5th.

He made an unexpected mistake on the opening quad jump. "I had a secure confidence. I believed in nailing the jump till just before the landing. That mistake made me surprised." He didn't reach a medal even though he did his best by performing as a firebird. "That was not my best performance in my first and the last Olympics and it makes me feel regretful," he showed a severe face.

"The mistake in the first half made me feel very tough in the second half mentally and also physically. However, I didn't show major melt down in the second half. I think me in the last season was not able to show the performance as good as I did here," he feels he's improved.

"In last season I pretended to be a tough fighter in nature that I am not. I noticed that I can do better performance when I skate for someone, or when I focus on expressing the concept of the program." He focused on expressions today too and made it to place higher than 8th. He tried to show 'Tatsuki Machida' on ice although he was not able to reach a medal he aimed at.

As for his future plan "I'm interested in working backstage," he has a dream to work as a choreographer or a show director. "I felt that Olympics is a really big stage. I wish I learn a lot here and make a new start." The philosopher on ice faces his new start.

source: http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/2014sochi/235055/

He was inspired by Stéphane Lambiel and Phillip Mills. And he has a dream to be a choreographer and a director in shows. Although it depends on how well he does in the coming 2014-2015 season and also how much money he earns by skating, he mentioned in the past that he'll retire from competitions when he graduates from Kansai University(next April). In this spring and summer he skated/skates in so many shows so I suppose he earned/earns certain amount of money. Wish he can continue skating if he wants. And also wish he'll do well as a choreographer after his retirement. He lives in the world of 'Timshel' indeed. :cheer:

Thank you skateboy for the warm welcome. I am fan both of Team Japan (I love their interaction and seeing them skate together in group numbers in the ice shows and being an inveterate romantic, like to pair them with each other ;)) and also the individual Japanese skaters who have their own distinctive personalities (all of them endearing) and skating styles.

rosewood, thanks for the translation of the postSochi article on Tatsuki. I'm just sad that after working so hard in stabilizing his jumps and now being truly a "full blend of athlete and artist," as Kurt Brownng described him in the CBC commentary on his sublime Worlds SP, Tatsuki said he will not continue until Pyeongchang. As a (selfish) fan who wants to see more of his competitive skating and for him to garner more honors and accolades which can only help him in his second career as choreographer. I hope he changes his mind in retiring so soon. Right now with Nobunari retired and Daisuke on sabbatical and Takahiko finding form, it's basically him and Yuzuru carrying the flag for Japanese male figure skating. I also hope Tatsuki finds a sponsor like what ANA is for Yuzuru and gets some indorsement deals. So many hopes for Tatsuki! :)

His short program at Worlds in Saitama was the performance of the competition. Amazing to see in person.

How lucky you are to see it in person! I watched it from a livestream of the B. Esp. commentary and I got goosebumps! I can only imagine how those seeing it live felt. And I think Tatsuki himself realized what he has achieved as his pose after skating while soaking in the cheering from the crowd was just so epic! Perhaps with other skaters and other skates, I would have found it amusing but at that moment it felt right.

I saw this cute cartoon of Yuzuru and Tatsuki with Tatsuki apparently punching Yuzuru in the back except that Yuzuru doesn't look offended. There are Japanese captions (very short ones) so may I again impose on the kind ms. rosewood by requesting for a translation as I want to understand what the cartoon is all about? Thanks so much! :)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
^I guess it's a cartoon of a certain episode in Prince Ice World since its title is "Fureai time (for skaters)=(選手が)ふれあいタイム". PIW is the only show which had fureai time in it recently. After the finale fans are allowed to hand presents/flowers to skaters and have a chat if lucky during fureai time. Fureai time is basically for fans. But I assume Yuzuru and Tatsuki were enjoying by themselves during fureai time. Then its title got to be fureai time (for skaters). :D I assume it was more skaters-friendly time than fan-friendly time. Yuzuru says "What? What, Tatsuki-kun?" And ポカポカ means 'pow! pow!'

^Thanks rosewood! I'm glad Yuzuru and Tatsuki are having bonding time together in those ice shows. Love them both, and I think they will push each other to greater heights as we saw in the 2014 Worlds.

hirtmoles31

I like Machida, but I think Fernandez is much more likely to be Hanyu's biggest rival in the coming years than Machida. Especialy since Machida has said 2015 is his last year.

I like Machida, but I think Fernandez is much more likely to be Hanyu's biggest rival in the coming years than Machida. Especialy since Machida has said 2015 is his last year.

There is no question that Yuzuru and Javier have an advantage over Tatsuki in that the younger skaters have two types of quads (hopefully the 4S will be a stable jump for Yuzuru this coming season). I think however that Tatsuki's consistency (landed 21 quads last season) and artistry will keep him in the mix for that top spot in the podium for this coming season. Certainly he now has the reputation as the reigning Worlds silver medalist and per the latest ISU rankings, the world's third-ranked skater after Yuzuru and Patrick Chan. I really hope Tatsuki reconsiders his decision to retire before the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018. I think he has it in him to be an Olympic medalist.

scottieschamp

Machida would be too old for the 2018 Games. Going until 2016 would be a good idea though. 2 more years rather than 1. He probably wont win a worlds, but could win another medal.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I found Machida's father works in the public relations department of Mazda co.

http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/life/20140606/266347/?P=2
何と、広報町田さんのご子息は、ソチオリンピックに出場し、世界選手権で銀メダルを獲得した、「氷上の哲学者」町田樹選手なのであった。

ETA:
The president of Mazda offered Machida's father to go and see his son's skating both in Olympcs and Worlds. But he didn't go. So in the interview the president jokingly blamed his father for being workaholic. lol

Last edited:
He was far and away the best skater in SA! Per Philip Hersh, Tatsuki showed "impressive command of artistry and athleticism that made him an easy winner of both the short program and free skate." (http://www.redeyechicago.com/sports/breaking/ct-men-skate-america-spt-1026-20141025,0,2982362.column). His FP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5VkenRDEnw&list=UURTEluNf3M1IX4xA2hErvMQ

And I think his performances will still improve as the season progresses!

PS. There have been reports that Tatsuki will continue until Pyeongchang.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thanks Rosewood for the article and for this thread. Last year I saw a technically perfect Machida. This year he has grown into an artist as well. Pretty soon I am going to become his fan, it seems. Last year he narrowly missed winning the world title because in the LP Hanyu outskated him. This year he might challenge Hanyu and actually win.

orientalplane

Mad for mangelwurzels
Thanks Rosewood for the article and for this thread. Last year I saw a technically perfect Machida. This year he has grown into an artist as well. This year he might challenge Hanyu and actually win.

That's exactly what I thought too; especially noticeable to me was his artistic development, though I still think there's some room for improvement. :) And he needs a haircut. :p

MorganaLefay

I first saw Machida at last year's Skate America in Detroit and he was incredible: he hardly did any jumping during the practice sessions but during the actual competition he was on fire and then some! In fact, he impressed me more than Dai (who is a skating god in my book). After the competition, my friend and I were interviewed by some Dai's fans from Japan, who were a bit upset that I wanted to talk about Machida and not Dai:) In any event, this year's short is just precious. I like how his jumps are accentuated by his music (soft and powerful just like his jumps). I think his step sequences have improved, and he is really giving it all he's got every time. I was so happy about his showing at the last year's Worlds, to me--he should have won. I am not a big fan of Yuzuru--although his technique is stunning, he lacks the awareness of some older skaters, like Machida, who were not "child" prodigies. Machida's artistry (like Akiko's) is a product of internalizing skating and fusing into and through themselves completely to really show us what experience can bring--it's very exciting and gratifying to watch Machida. I hope he continues to succeed.

lefeury1

wth with the stud comment on the Short Program video,,,, Anyway I thought he was beautiful in both programs. I will be pulling for him this season.

Jun Y

If we were to transplant classical ballet (solo dance by a man) onto figure skating, this is probably as close as you get, considering Mills' obvious intention to do so in his choreography. Most skaters make some attempts to emulate ballet in their skating from time to time, but this is IMO the last word (at least in men's skating).

Kudos to Machida for pulling off what seems like a very tall order.

I would like to see more male skaters invest some substantial time and effort to work with Mills to infuse ballet into skating. (I'm looking at you Team China.) Not likely but one can hope.

Messalina

He's my favourite Japanese man :)

Mine too! (Now that Dai is gone ... ach!)

I was so happy to see him skate live − and so beautifully − at Skate America. But I had no idea he was considering making 2015 his last season. With continued good results (which I am counting on!), I hope he changes his mind. Right now I am very, very excited that the trio of Hanyu, Machida and Kozuka are there to push and inspire one other.

I also love that Tatsuki lists "tea" as one of his hobbies on his ISU page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information