The Shibutanis Thread Cinco...Mambo!

Mrs. P

If you're reading from the app, scroll all the way to the bottom. It says "ADVERTISEMENT: Explore a 3D view of TEam USA's Alex and Maia Shibutani wearing the official Opening Ceremony Uniform." and then click on "View Now."

chapis

USA Today's medal projections. A clear improvement from a copy-editing standpoint not predicting a medal for Pechalat-Bourzat ;) (I'm lookin' at YOU, Sports Illustrated!)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ngchang-olympics-medal-projections/110142648/

Great that Maia and Alex are in there but it looks a little weird that SI and USA Today predicts to V/M for Gold, I would not mind if they were right but it seems obvious that P/C would have to fall to lose the gold.

-------------

Maia and Alex are already in Korea :cheer2: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be2vr-chSN4/?taken-by=maiashibutani

VGThuy

You should go ahead and message her, :lol:. You guys are making me so worried already.

chapis

Yeah, I almost messaged Maya to put her mask on! And security is down too. Ugh.

Well, tell her also to wash their hands and not eat anywhere because apparently, that is the method of contagion.

¨Officials are examining food and water sources at a mountainside facility in Pyeongchang where the guards had been staying and also inspecting 18 other facilities that rely on groundwater.

Norovirus is a contagious virus that causes stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea. The most effective way to stop the spread is to practice good hand-washing and personal hygiene¨.

MRani

It looks like they think the source of the outbreak may be the food and water at the “mountainside facility” where the guards were staying. I’m assuming that’s a separate location from the Olympic Village and venues. Norovirus isn’t airborne so it should be easier to control the spread of infection with, like chapis said, frequent hand washing and avoiding local cuisine. There should only be a big problem if food and water in the Olympic Village are contaminated too.

Mrs. P

Hey guys, I think I need to acknowledge that I hate this narrative that the Shibs are being handed the team event due to politics and not cause, actually they've been a pretty consistent team with the highest ISU Season's best in all three segments.

I laugh at the idea that everyone thinks Marina is the one that helped them get both segments (if that is indeed the case).

Okay, just glad to put that out there.

VGThuy

I laugh at the idea that the Shibs are handed everything. It's like people forgot their entire career trajectory and adopted an artificial Shibs-like narrative from 2015-2016 just to politick. It's so desperate and transparent. And NOW people want to root against them because they're doing the TE...yeah, that's what it is. There has been a growing anti-Shibs sentiment since their success after 2016 Nationals and it's being transferred to rooting for other teams. I'm not talking about the sincere, long-time fans of other teams whose opinions I do respect. But for other bandwagoners, I found it noticeable.

MRani

I was hesitant to say so before, but before Nationals I thought USA’s best strategy would’ve been to split men (to rest Nathan) and ladies (because no one is consistent) which would mean only 1 dance team. After Nationals, I thought Bradie had pretty much proven her consistency and they could safely split dance instead, which I was expecting them to do.

Nevertheless, if it has to be only 1 dance team, Maia and Alex have to be the best choice because of their SD scores. H/D and C/B actually have lower SB scores than B/S in the SD, which could be a bad for USA’s bronze medal position. Add in the fact that they also have the highest scoring American FD this season by a decent margin, and it makes the choice perfectly understandable. People who are trying to imply the Shibs got this with politics have a pretty obvious agenda, and I doubt any of them were rooting for the Shibs anyway so no big loss if they’re supporting other teams now “because of the team event” :rolleyes:

chapis

The Shibs were in the NY Post today:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/05/these-team-usa-sibling-duos-are-set-to-conquer-the-olympics/

https://twitter.com/iamkid_A/status/960978735674556424

I don't read the NY Post so I missed their spread, but the article has some new quotes in there.

Interesting comment from their dad:
Chris Shibutani, says that they can occasionally butt heads since they’re both “very strongly opinionated people.”

“Maia is very much an organizer and a planner, and she can understand how to get things done from an execution standpoint. Alex is the creative side, so he envisions all these crazy ideas,” he tells The Post. “It’s like she’s the producer and he’s the director.”

----------------

Another article:
Olympic ice dancing siblings got their start in Greenwich
https://www.greenwichtime.com/local...cing-siblings-got-their-start-in-12552421.php

They said:

“Starting off at Dorothy Hamill Rink was sort of serendipitous,” said Alex. “And there was a lot of strong international-caliber talent getting choreography in the Connecticut area” at the time.

“And so we would show up at a rink recreationally,” he said, and Olympic champions “Shen (Xue) and Zhao (Hongbo) would be getting choreography — one of the most iconic pair teams of their generation, perhaps of all time.” :eek::swoon:

The ShibSibs also got a chance to see ice dancers from Canada — without realizing that they would take up that branch of the sport someday.

“Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz, they’d be training,” said Alex, “working on choreography while we were starting to skate. We didn’t appreciate it at the time, but we’ve been very fortunate ... to be in environments that allowed us to grow. Greenwich was a great place to grow up.”

VGThuy

Yo man, I am absolutely living for every morsel the Shibs are giving us on Instagram right now for the Olympics. I wasn't feeling the Olympic fever until now. So effing excited right now.

MRani

Yo man, I am absolutely living for every morsel the Shibs are giving us on Instagram right now for the Olympics. I wasn't feeling the Olympic fever until now. So effing excited right now.

I’ve never watched the opening ceremonies even once but now I want to because the excitement is real and also I want to see V/M be flag bearers lol. My brain insists on imagining them carrying the flag in the same pose as this picture haha

https://instagram.com/p/BeBMQmzFgq_/

chapis

I suppose they are definitely at the opening ceremony, they are trying on the uniforms and Ralph Lauren is their sponsor, they probably want them at the ceremony.

VGThuy

Shibs mentioned in this article about Serge Onik:

https://www.dancenetwork.tv/Catalog/Post/328/a-choreographers-road-to-the-olympics

The cool thing is, my choreography isn’t just represented through Team USA. I started out with Team USA, and Team USA will represent my choreography through the Shib Sibs (Maia and Alex Shibutani), but I’ve also done choreography for Great Britain, Japan, China, Turkey, Kazakhstan, and Italy. It will be my choreography competing against my choreography. That’s a total win/win for me.

VGThuy

Was he reporting from the main arena practice while the Shibs and other ice dancers were at the other practice rink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information