The Satoko Miyahara fan thread - "This is a start in the true sense"

Colonel Green

I admit I find it somewhat weird that in order to focus on a triple Axel, Satoko needs to take on a coach who has never trained a lady to do a triple Axel, when she was already coached by Hamada, who has.

kittyjake5

I admit I find it somewhat weird that in order to focus on a triple Axel, Satoko needs to take on a coach who has never trained a lady to do a triple Axel, when she was already coached by Hamada, who has.

I admit I had the same thoughts when I read this news in the other thread. It could be that she just needs a change and wants
to train outside of Japan. Whatever the reason I wish her well.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Lee Barkell is Gabby's main coach, and Gabby has big jumps. Maybe Satoko is hoping he can help her with that specifically.

Marco

The Queen of Everything. I love it. Can we make it official?

No need. She crowns herself at the end of the short program. :p

But really. The presence. Very regal. Majestic. The way she carries herself or just holds her jump landings or spirals. For the better part of the last quad she was carrying the entire nation.

She may be tiny but her skating is larger than life.

Plusdinfo

I wasn't so sold on Satoko back in 2015, but with each passing season, my admiration for her performance abilities grows. I don't think she can be beat when it comes to interpreting music, and I agree that the gap between her and many of the favored ladies is quite wide in that regard. She's a much needed skater in this crop, and I appreciate her work regardless of how her jumps go or how she's scored. Satoko is someone special.

alexikeguchi

Congratulations to Satoko for pulling out a silver in her first GP! I'm so pleased the judges finally seem to give her the love she deserves in her components scores and are awarding them correctly instead of just following the tech content. Every year, I think she can't top herself for the beauty of her performances, but she just seems to keep finding a way.

VGThuy

I wasn't so sold on Satoko back in 2015, but with each passing season, my admiration for her performance abilities grows. I don't think she can be beat when it comes to interpreting music, and I agree that the gap between her and many of the favored ladies is quite wide in that regard. She's a much needed skater in this crop, and I appreciate her work regardless of how her jumps go or how she's scored. Satoko is someone special.

Perfectly put. Her attention to her body positions and elegance is unmatched right now and a nice respite from all the frenetic style of skating that dominates.

alexikeguchi

Here (for now) is Satoko's lovely free skate from Japanese Nationals to pull up to third overall. I think her jumps do look more plausible, and her exquisite line and musicality are still unparalleled. IMHO, this is the best and most authentic Tosca portrayal in a skating program, and I have been a fan long enough to remember Slutskaya and Kwan.

Wyliefan

New interview with Satoko in Japanese. There's no new information of note; she mainly talks about the differences between training in Japan and in Canada.

Wyliefan

Quote from Satoko: "To put it simply, I was nervous. I've been conscious of these mental hurdles all this time, but it's frustrating that it wasn't that simple. For the free, I will skate like myself. That's enough." https://t.co/LHtR50vvvx

I wonder if seeing a sports psychologist could help her (I remember it helped Paul Wylie!). She works so hard, it makes sense that her difficulties don't stem from lack of effort. I hope she finds some way to overcome the mental block. And I hope she skates a beautiful clean long here.

Wyliefan

Here's a Google Translate of Satoko's new blog entry:

"Hello!
The world championship has ended successfully.

Above all, I am truly grateful that the event was held safely and that it was a grand event.

It was a tough tournament for me, and I realized the difficulty of adjustment and the importance of the environment. I think there was a harvest in terms of facing myself. I will think about what I need to do and do my best.

In addition, I was able to support and watch almost all other categories in this tournament, and I felt a lot of dramas.

Last but not least, thank you very much for your great support and many birthday celebrations.

We will collect power and restart.

Thank you STOCKHOLM !!!
Thank you!"

And a quote from an interview:

"Liza won the same Worlds that I first competed in. I think she also gathered a lot of experience competing. The fact that she won a medal again here, her strength made my heart shake. I think I have to go forward in a similar way."

Sylvia

TBD
Satoko Miyahara's 2021-22 programs:
Short: Lyra Angelica by William Alwyn, choreo. by Jeffrey Buttle
Free: Tosca, choreo by Lori Nichol (kept from 2020/21)

She debuted the program at Kinoshita Academy's "Bloom on Ice" show in Kyoto on April 24.

https://twitter.com/AxelQuadruple/status/1385859512607805443
Google translation of Satoko's quotes in the 4 tweets:
Miyahara: "(SP choreography) was done online the last few days of the quarantine period after returning to Japan and the days between this show. I was able to do it the day before yesterday." But, of all the candidates, Jeff suggested that this song was the best, so I chose this one."
"When I first heard (the song), I thought it would be very difficult, and I was wondering if a different song would be good, but the main reason I decided was that Jeff said," Absolutely well. I can skate.
"Since there is little up and down (inflection) of the song, if you do not make the movement sharp or slide well, the performance will be thin, so I want to capture even small sounds."
"(From Mr. Jeff) the start starts quietly, so it doesn't start suddenly, and because it's all beautiful songs, I skated lightly according to each song. And at the end, it feels like the sound ends firmly. So I was told to make it look bigger."
https://twitter.com/boomsports/status/1385505349139013635
The official Instagram of the university announced on the 23rd that Satoko Miyahara (23), a figure skating girl, graduated from the Faculty of Letters of Kansai University. Ms. Miyahara was unable to attend the graduation ceremony held on March 19 due to participation in the world championship.
3 photos from the Kansai University IG account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CN_3q10nxqw/

Last edited:

liv

To me this is Michelle's most iconic piece (as well as her Rach piece from the same year), so I look forward to a new interpretation of this fabulous music. I am sure they will do it justice... and I"m really surprised that no one has really skated it to since then...maybe just too close an association with Kwan.

giselle23

I thought no one would ever try to skate to Lyra Angelica again. It is Michelle's iconic music. But if anyone can do it, it's Satoko. It's interesting that Jeffrey Buttle is the choreographer and not Lori Nichol, who also works with Satoko. I suppose Lori wouldn't want to touch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information