The Pointless and Petty Annoyances Thread

LeafOnTheWind

I hate it when people call themselves a creative person just because they enjoy doing creative activities. When I think of a describing a person as creative it means they can take something known and do something different with it, for example. If you enjoy writing but you are basically creating knockoffs of an original I can't really call you the person creative. I can say you enjoy creative activities.

Just tired of hearing mediocre people extol on their artistry when they just keep regurgitating someone else's brainchild.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The comment sections of almost all articles I read, YouTube videos I watch, and especially just about anything on Twitter drive me inexplicably crazy. So many people are just ‘around’ for the sake of either trolling or coming across as complete idiots that the 10% I actually do want to read and learn from gets lost in all that mess. And I know— just scroll past it. But those people still make me 🙄🙄🙄

Also, when people ask me stupid questions or post asking if something is real (or they share incorrect info that is easily accessible), I really am tempted to answer, ‘SPEND 20 SECONDS GOOGLING IT’.

Last edited:

PDilemma

Also, when people ask me stupid questions or post asking if something is real (or they share incorrect info that is easily accessible), I really am tempted to answer, ‘SPEND 20 SECONDS GOOGLING IT’.

I get more annoyed than I should by people who have to ask others on the internet to get information for them that they could google. Do it yourself. Obviously, you have internet access.

And I'm very puzzled by people who ask strangers on the internet for advice about things they could find reliable information about elsewhere online, too. I don't get it. If you need a new vehicle, read reviews and information on sites about vehicles. If you need medical advice, call a medical professional or go to reliable sites like Mayo. Don't ask strangers on the internet.

quartz

scratching at the light
I get more annoyed than I should by people who have to ask others on the internet to get information for them that they could google. Do it yourself. Obviously, you have internet access.

And I'm very puzzled by people who ask strangers on the internet for advice about things they could find reliable information about elsewhere online, too. I don't get it. If you need a new vehicle, read reviews and information on sites about vehicles. If you need medical advice, call a medical professional or go to reliable sites like Mayo. Don't ask strangers on the internet.
Hmmm....I just asked this morning in another thread for information that I wasn’t successful at finding myself. I was hoping maybe someone else had better knowledge or research skills and was willing to give me a clue. Guess that makes me one of your annoyances then - sorry!

Susan1

Hmmm....I just asked this morning in another thread for information that I wasn’t successful at finding myself. I was hoping maybe someone else had better knowledge or research skills and was willing to give me a clue. Guess that makes me one of your annoyances then - sorry!
Yes, I think it’s called conversation, interaction, sharing your experience and/or opinion. “Googling” something does not always give a correct or complete answer, especially if you are asking it in a conversational way one person to another(s).

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/57794/internet-forum Definition of Internet Forum

“A website that provides an online exchange of information between people about a particular topic. It provides a venue for questions and answers and may be monitored to keep the content appropriate.“

Nobody is forcing anyone to answer. And no one has to take the personal advice that someone freely gives.

quartz

scratching at the light
Yes, I think it’s called conversation, interaction, sharing your experience and/or opinion. “Googling” something does not always give a correct or complete answer, especially if you are asking it in a conversational way one person to another(s).

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/57794/internet-forum Definition of Internet Forum

“A website that provides an online exchange of information between people about a particular topic. It provides a venue for questions and answers and may be monitored to keep the content appropriate.“

Nobody is forcing anyone to answer. And no one has to take the personal advice that someone freely gives.
And no one has answered me, so yeah, and that’s fine too. :p
Eta....also this place is full of people giving advice even without anyone asking, which makes it seem normal for me to ask advice as generally I get it when I’m not looking for it anyways. :lol:

Last edited:

mjb52

I forgot I was on the petty annoyances thread and I was like "why is everyone so grumpy on this thread?" - I guess that is annoying too :)

Susan1

I had to go back four pages of "threads with your posts in them" to find this one.

That Reversabrella? Every time I see it (this morning on a shopping channel while I was flipping), it irritates me. Yeah, it closes upward so your arm doesn't get wet for 10 seconds getting in the car. That's the only selling point. What about when you go to use it when you get out of the car. It traps the water inside so that when you open it again or turn it upside down all the water comes out. Much wetter than if you just closed a regular umbrella and let it drip on the floor mat in the back seat.

And I haven't used an umbrella for years. If I have to go out in the rain, I wear a coat with a hood. Hanging on to a grocery cart and purse and putting things in the trunk is hard enough without holding an umbrella too. Or having to have the remote in hand to click the car lock while holding an umbrella.

Last edited:

screech

Something that I've been experiencing a lot of lately - people who stand on the left side of an escalator. NO! The right side is for just standing, the left side is for people who walk up/down the escalator. I was walking up the left side of an escalator today and politely said "excuse me" to a person standing there, and she said 'Rude!' as she moved to the other side, where her friend was standing.

Also people who act like they can't see lines. I was in a line for getting on a bus, and a group of people who were nowhere near the line just suddenly appeared at the front once the bus actually arrived. Basic human decency, people!

canbelto

I really really hate how hot my Macbook runs. I'm not even doing much on it and the thing feels like a furnace. So yeah, just wanted to get that out there.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I really really hate how hot my Macbook runs. I'm not even doing much on it and the thing feels like a furnace. So yeah, just wanted to get that out there.
There is an app on there that is using a lot of memory and the page swapping is hard on the battery and heats it up. There should be a way to figure out which one it is and close it when you don't need it. (I know which one it is on my Mac but it's one I need for work and has to keep running all the time. :( )

canbelto

There is an app on there that is using a lot of memory and the page swapping is hard on the battery and heats it up. There should be a way to figure out which one it is and close it when you don't need it. (I know which one it is on my Mac but it's one I need for work and has to keep running all the time. :( )

I know which ones WILL heat up my computer. My video editing software heats it up. But sometimes I'll just have a couple of tabs of chrome open, mail, and it's a furnace. I have noticed that certain websites make it heat up. Facebook is one. Telecharge is another.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yeah, some webpages are constantly refreshing themselves. Facebook is okay on mine but it's fairly new and has a lot of memory (work bought it). But the software we use to develop software? My lap is hot right now!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Something that I've been experiencing a lot of lately - people who stand on the left side of an escalator. NO! The right side is for just standing, the left side is for people who walk up/down the escalator. I was walking up the left side of an escalator today and politely said "excuse me" to a person standing there, and she said 'Rude!' as she moved to the other side, where her friend was standing.

Also people who act like they can't see lines. I was in a line for getting on a bus, and a group of people who were nowhere near the line just suddenly appeared at the front once the bus actually arrived. Basic human decency, people!

Don't ever visit Australia if this is a pet peeve. We stand on the left!

Japan has it all figured out. I love how at their metro and subway station platforms, there are queue lines or dots indicating where to stand, so that people can exit an incoming train with more ease and avoid congestion.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Let my chime in on the subject of lines. I cannot stand for very long, so look for a place to sit. When the bus comes, or the doors open, I move into the place where I would have been standing.
Yes, whenever possible I explain that I need to sit and will be back to that spot.
It drives me batty when people don't respect the lines that had formed and push rudely through the line.

mag

When people say they are living “off the grid” and think that what they are doing is great for the environment - then they burn wood all winter to keep warm.

screech

Don't ever visit Australia if this is a pet peeve. We stand on the left!
Haha then in Australia, don't stand on the right!

I think of it like traffic - the left lane (in 95% of countries) is for passing. Don't be a jerk and block it. There's also the nincompoops who like to stand in the middle, with their elbows out, blocking everybody.

Susan1

Every year I want to slap everyone upside the head who says Macy's Day parade. :revenge:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Maureen McCormick (the host) said it twice on the Macy's Thanksgiving Cake Spectacular. With the Macy's person sitting right there as a judge.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Leaving shopping carts in the parking lot rather than returning them to the cart corral.

iloveemoticons

I know which ones WILL heat up my computer. My video editing software heats it up. But sometimes I'll just have a couple of tabs of chrome open, mail, and it's a furnace. I have noticed that certain websites make it heat up. Facebook is one. Telecharge is another.

Chrome wreaks havoc on my Macbook, makes it hot and laggy. I use only Safari now, and it's a lot better. My battery life has gone up a lot too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information