The Dance Hall 12: Boston Tea Dance Party

skatfan

Well, given that the musical itself is only opened in 2002, I'd say no, we won't have anything from it even if the music would, thematically, work. Now, music fron the original 1988 movie COULD work since that soundtrack was, like Dirty Dancing, made up of songs from the 1960s.

I'm sure we'll see more than a few Dirty Dancing and Grease RDs.
As I read the rules, the music doesn’t have to come from the period, as long as the music fits the dance style. Am I misreading something?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
As I read the rules, the music doesn’t have to come from the period, as long as the music fits the dance style. Am I misreading something?

I think you misread indeed. It just says that remixes and covers are allowed.
I believe that @lauravvv is correct. The music needs to have been released, originally, in the 50s, 60s or 70s. Remixes or covers that retain the original spirit and feel of the song are allowed - which is why others have said to expect a bunch of Glee covers.

Essentially, what the IDTC is doing is allowing for something like Guignard/Fabbri's original music cut from this past season where they used the Glee cover of "Holding Out for a Hero" which has a similar tempo and vibe as Bonnie Tyler's original version from the '80s.

I think it's also meant to limit the covers used from being distinctly different - ie Faith Hill's cover of the Janis Joplin classic "Take a Piece of My Heart" or Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" which is very different from Dolly Parton's original version.

skatfan

I believe that @lauravvv is correct. The music needs to have been released, originally, in the 50s, 60s or 70s. Remixes or covers that retain the original spirit and feel of the song are allowed - which is why others have said to expect a bunch of Glee covers.

Essentially, what the IDTC is doing is allowing for something like Guignard/Fabbri's original music cut from this past season where they used the Glee cover of "Holding Out for a Hero" which has a similar tempo and vibe as Bonnie Tyler's original version from the '80s.

I think it's also meant to limit the covers used from being distinctly different - ie Faith Hill's cover of the Janis Joplin classic "Take a Piece of My Heart" or Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" which is very different from Dolly Parton's original version.
Hmmm. I didn't see anything explicit posted about the music needing to have originated in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I took the note about remixes as a clarification about new versions, not that it limited newer music, for example a new piece that is swing music. Maybe this is more clearly articulated somewhere else.

ice coverage

Hmmm. I didn't see anything explicit posted about the music needing to have originated in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I took the note about remixes as a clarification about new versions, not that it limited newer music, for example a new piece that is swing music. Maybe this is more clearly articulated somewhere else.

(y) I also do not feel sure what the ISU is or is not requiring for 2024-25 in terms of release date of RD music.
I think it is noteworthy and/or odd that the official language for 2024-25 (so far??) does not spell things out, whereas the official ISU language for 2023-24 did.

For 2023-24 season, the initial version of the official ISU language was in morqet's post on May 9, 2023 (emphasis added):

Technical Requirements are out: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/31243-isu-communication-2560/file

"The theme selected for the Rhythm Dances for both Junior and Senior for the season 2023/24 is “Music and Feeling of the Eighties”. Any music is possible provided it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s. The couple should demonstrate through dance the culture and feeling/essence of this decade. The selected music may be remastered. The Rhythm Dance should NOT be skated in the style of a Free Dance. The couple must use dance movements and dance holds to interpret the chosen music from this decade."

Then on July 31, 2023 (Post Frankfurt), ISU Communication No. 2560 was updated as follows:

" ... Any music is possible provided that the chosen version it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s and maintains the essence of the 1980s. ..."​

Seems to me that for 2024-25, ISU already would have known that it should take care to very clearly put in writing any restriction on when music was released??
The absence of any restriction in writing causes uncertainty for me.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Solo dancer Alana Pang already posted that she's thinking of using Kylie Minogue's cover (1988) of the Loco-Motion (originally Little Eva, 1962).

And it looks like we have our first Beatles / YouTube copyright strike RD from Karnes/Carr (in their IG highlights).

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Or essentially, Fear/Gibson’s entire program. :lol: :shuffle:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Or essentially, Fear/Gibson’s entire program. :lol: :shuffle:
Dear Lord, noooooooo!!!!

This whole “dance party” thing has been concocted for them, to go Disco 70s, I believe. That’s why I’m praying to see more 50s and 60s, than 70s!!!!

Beehives & bouffants, please!!!!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Any ice dance teams reading this thread who haven't figured out their RD for next season - please, please, please, for the love of all camp and absurdity that is your chosen sport - may I suggest delving into the masterpieces that were the Brady Bunch group dance numbers? Pretty please? We not only need but we deserve something so fabulously cheesy for our viewing and snarking pleasure!

ice coverage

Bigbird

So, does that mean that Marvin Gaye's music is a possibility? Could a team use Marvin Gaye I Want You Remix?

Edit: I could just imagine my eye candy, Andrew Poje, killing this with a broomstick...sigh.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Disco was created to dance to! Much as I love other styles from that period, from singer-songwriter to prog rock, it makes sense to pick fun music created for dance.

Finally watched Daisy Jones and the Six this week. That was such a good soundtrack, I might have liked it more than some of the original Fleetwood Mac. Not to mention Sam Claflin>Lindsey Buckingham. Shame the music isn’t eligible for the RD.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Disco was created to dance to! Much as I love other styles from that period, from singer-songwriter to prog rock, it makes sense to pick fun music created for dance.

Finally watched Daisy Jones and the Six this week. That was such a good soundtrack, I might have liked it more than some of the original Fleetwood Mac. Not to mention Sam Claflin>Lindsey Buckingham. Shame the music isn’t eligible for the RD.
Lurved Daisy Jones and the Six! Book's good too.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Sophia Bushell and Antonio Peña are a new ice dance team representing Spain. They're training at Hurtado and Khaliavin's school.

Users who are viewing this thread

• SaPa
Do Not Sell My Personal Information