Thanksgiving Menus and Recipes

Vagabond

What are you having for Thanksgiving this year?

My menu so far:

Maple-juniper roast pheasant
Polenta
Artichoke, broccoli, or squash (?)
Mixed salad
Chestnut ice cream

Any brilliant suggestions for (1) a Thanksgiving cocktail and (2) a cooked vegetable would be appreciated, as I am game for trying something new this year.

Spun Silver

Your menu sounds amazing. Did you invent chestnut ice cream? It sounds wonderful.
My sister served this dish a couple Thanksgivings ago and it was fabulous.

Hubby and I are keeping it very basic - turkey loaf, popovers, asparagus, and carrot cake if I get up the oomph to make it. And cranberry sauce. It's just the two of us.

Japanfan

I make a stuffing with homemade cornbread (could use bought), sausage, apples, and chestnut. Add some chicken stock and then just cook it. Very easy and o-so-yummy.

Vagabond

Did you invent chestnut ice cream? It sounds wonderful.
I did, and it is! 😋

Chestnut Ice Cream

1 jar chestnut cream (about 7 oz.)
3 cups of cream
1 pinch salt

Combine the ingredients in a pot, heat over medium until the chestnut cream is dissolved, cover the pot, and chill thoroughly. Then follow the manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream maker.

It's possible to use unsweetened chestnut puree instead of the sweetened chestnut cream, but then you have to figure out how much sugar and vanilla to use.

annie720

I make a stuffing with homemade cornbread (could use bought), sausage, apples, and chestnut. Add some chicken stock and then just cook it. Very easy and o-so-yummy.
This sounds like the stuffing hubby makes! I started making this chopped salad a few years ago for holidays and it's now a staple. https://www.momskitchenhandbook.com...rful-cabbage-with-apples-walnuts-cranberries/ . The rest of our meal is pretty traditional. Turkey, stuffing, fresh green beans with sauteed mushrooms, carrots with mustard sauce, potato pie, cranberry sauces, and pecan pie. With the exception of the green beans, hubby is doing it all. :)

clairecloutier

We are going to my brother's (thank heaven), and I'm going to make a chocolate truffle cream pie to bring, hopefully it comes out okay! Very relieved not to have to cook this year.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I am making all the usual things I make and had the list all ready to go when my husband most unexpectedly requested that I make some extra pies.

Many years ago, I started making desserts by request--everyone could have a favorite and everyone has one. My husband does not like sweets and has never asked for anything--until last week when some people he works with started raving about some pies that they always have for Thanksgiving. He asked if I would make them. Well, okay, but I am already making others by request.

I realized last night that we are going to have six pies and one cheesecake for 12 people :shuffle:.

@jamesy is going to have to come over and help us eat all this pie.

Stefanie

I am making all the usual things I make and had the list all ready to go when my husband most unexpectedly requested that I make some extra pies.

Many years ago, I started making desserts by request--everyone could have a favorite and everyone has one. My husband does not like sweets and has never asked for anything--until last week when some people he works with started raving about some pies that they always have for Thanksgiving. He asked if I would make them. Well, okay, but I am already making others by request.

I realized last night that we are going to have six pies and one cheesecake for 12 people :shuffle:.

@jamesy is going to have to come over and help us eat all this pie.

I have posted/been on FSU off and on for close to 20 years and I always look forward to reading your posts re: your Thanksgiving meal, Prancer! I always remember you talking about pies and desserts for Thanksgiving (and Christmas, too, IIRC).

Stefanie

Any brilliant suggestions for (1) a Thanksgiving cocktail and (2) a cooked vegetable would be appreciated, as I am game for trying something new this year.
I have two autumnal sangrias that I have made for Thanksgiving. One uses white wine and one uses red wine so you can [hopefully] accommodate all tastes.

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2018/10/red-apple-cider-sangria/ (I still have half a pitcher of this in my refrigerator from a week ago when I made it for my neighbor/friendsgiving. Still tastes great!

But if you really wanted a cocktail, I also love this one:

Pumpkin Fizz (don't have a link--handwritten from posted on my fridge ;) )
1 oz pumpkin puree
1 tsp honey
1/2 lemon, juiced
1.5 oz Bourbon
Ginger beer
brown sugar and extra honey to rim your glass

Two plates: one with honey and one with the brown sugar
Roll rim of highball glass in the honey and then the brown sugar; set aside.

Muddle pumpkin, lemon juice, and honey in cocktail shaker.
Add Bourbon and ice; shake 'til cold.

Strain into highball glass with ice, top with ginger beer, and garnish with lemon twist.

(Makes one cocktail, but you can easily multiply.)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
We are having:
Spatchcocked turkey breast
American style bread stuffing
French Canadian meat stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Roasted yams with red onion and spinach
Boiled pearl onions
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Dessert at our house will be pumpkin pie, but we will visit my niece in the late afternoon and she will have at least 6 choices.

ETA, and I also made a non meat lasagna for my brother to pick up today. He has a house full of people.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I've been assigned green bean casserole with extra bacon and extra mushrooms and make it a large/extra large pan.

Also fudge.

Not sure what other people have been assigned.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
does anyone have an apple pie recipe that is all that? I bought the apples and am ready to go. I usually trust smitten kitchen for recipes but if someone has a :sekret: apple pie that brings all the boys to the yard that they're willing to divulge, I'm all ears.

Vagabond

does anyone have an apple pie recipe that is all that? I bought the apples and am ready to go. I usually trust smitten kitchen for recipes but if someone has a :sekret: apple pie that brings all the boys to the yard that they're willing to divulge, I'm all ears.
Apple Pie

1¾ cups unsifted flour
½ cup canola oil
3 tbsp. water
1 tsp. salt
6 large or 8 medium-sized Gravenstein, Granny Smith, Pippin, or Jonathan apples
1 tbsp. corn starch (optional)
½ cup sugar or ⅜ cup honey (as needed)
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and/or coriander (as desired)

Combine the flour, oil, water and salt in a small mixing bowl. Mix together quickly with a fork and shape the mixture into a ball. Break the ball into two slightly uneven pieces. Roll the larger piece out between two pieces of wax paper until it is c” thick. Remove the wax paper and transfer the dough into the bottom of a buttered pie pan.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Wash, peel, core, and slice the apples. Place them in a large mixing bowl and stir in the spices. Taste a couple of slices to see if any sugar or honey is needed. If so, add in the sugar or honey and also the corn starch if desired. Place the mixture in the pie pan.

Roll out the remaining dough and place on top of the sliced apples. Slash the dough with a knife in several places to allow vapor to escape.

Bake at 425 degrees for 50-60 minutes until the pie crust is beginning to turn brown.

Serve with slices of extra-sharp cheddar cheese.

Note: To get a more complex flavor, substitute a quince and/or a pear for one or two apples.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc

I don't have a formal recipe but more a way to adapt a typical two-crust apple pie recipe with two tricks:

1. Whatever amount of sugar they ask for, cut it down to almost nothing. I do less that a tablespoon mixed into the apples, along with lemon juice, and then a dusting on the top crust for some crunch. I use organic cane sugar.
2. Into the apple mixture, I add a generous sprinkling of baharat seasoning. If you don't have that on hand, Chinese five spice powder works well too (as an aside, I also use it in french toast).

I've made this pie many times for many people, and no one misses the sweetness at all, and that hint of zippy spiciness has people offering compliments and asking what's the secret every time. My father in particular loved it as he was diabetic and had to be so careful of the amount of sugar he ate.

Another tip I've shared here before - if you are making your own crust and using butter, freeze it for 10-15 minutes then use a box grater that you've left in the fridge or freezer for a bit to shred it. Then you toss the butter in the flour mixture with your hands like a salad. Saves all the fussing with a pastry blender or the like, during which time the butter starts to melt - this way, the crust is superflaky every time.

I also use the box grater trick for biscuits :)

Aceon6

The box grater is a must for shredding good mozzarella, too. Freeze the block for 15 minutes, grate, refreeze, grate until you have what you need.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
It will just be me here, but this is probably still a lot for one person 🤣

-Herb roasted chicken
-Homemade Mac and cheese-white cheddar and Parmigiano Reggiano in the sauce with giant sourdough bread crumbs (more like croutons) on top
-these garlicky green beans for which there is no real recipe title
-homemade rolls
-Lemon “crack” pound cake for dessert

rfisher

Let the skating begin
What are you having for Thanksgiving this year?

My menu so far:

Maple-juniper roast pheasant
Polenta
Artichoke, broccoli, or squash (?)
Mixed salad
Chestnut ice cream

Can I come to your house?

mackiecat

We are having:
Spatchcocked turkey breast
American style bread stuffing
French Canadian meat stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Roasted yams with red onion and spinach
Boiled pearl onions
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Dessert at our house will be pumpkin pie, but we will visit my niece in the late afternoon and she will have at least 6 choices.

ETA, and I also made a non meat lasagna for my brother to pick up today. He has a house full of people.
What is French Canadian Meat Stuffing?

Aceon6

@mackiecat 1/2 pork, 1/2 ground beef with seasonal spices of sage, cinnamon and a bit of clove. I cook the meat with finely diced celery and onion. The binder is a slice or two of wet bread. My mother would cook it in the bird, but I just bake it off. It’s similar to the tortiere pie filling that’s traditional for New Year’s, but that one is 100% pork and uses riced potato as the binder. It’s definitely a Québécois thing.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
thanks @Jenny and @Vagabond !

I always use less sugar than recipes call for - and keep butter in my freezer all the time but generally use my food processer for the pie dough instead of a pastry cutter. Somehow have not ever heard of the frozen box grater trick! Now I need a box grater (I have my granny's old fashioned hand grater for cheeses but it is a PITA for large quantities).

The Canadian meat stuffing sounds good too :)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I don't like apple pie :shuffle:, so I always made this English apple pie instead. In spite of the name, it's not a pie but more of a crunchy cobbler--you don't have to make a pie crust. I know that's not what you asked for, but it's always the first thing I think of when I hear apple pie. It's great warm with a little ice cream.

I've also had apple pie with a cheddar crust, which is the closest I've ever come to liking apple pie.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Simple and seasonal. I am cooking for one or, if rfisher shows up, two. I want to make new dishes this year. (I made the ice cream for the first time lat month and have been keeping it in my freezer.)
now I'm :wuzrobbed I'm not close. I'm having left over pizza. And pecan pie.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Simple and seasonal. I am cooking for one or, if rfisher shows up, two. I want to make new dishes this year. (I made the ice cream for the first time lat month and have been keeping it in my freezer.)
How do you feel about acorn or butternut squash?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
How do you feel about acorn or butternut squash?
My question is how to cut/half the squash? I bought a couple several years ago but couldn't cut it? My recipe called to cut, scoop the seeds, add butter, brown sugar, spices and bake for 45 minutes. But I couldn't get past the half part

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information