Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir # 47: Come What May...

puglover

Well, I have held on as a skating fan mainly for Tessa and Scott but I do also really enjoy a number of other skaters from all disciplines and representing a number of countries. I am so excited to go to Canadians this year as it really will be an end of a wonderful era. I guess, never say never, but figure skating has now lost me as a fan and so I wish all of you the very best for 2018. GO TESSA AND SCOTT!!

skatfan

I love the SD from Tessa and Scott, but feel like they skated it better early in the season. Maybe that's just me. And of course if they can do it once, they can do it again. The FD is improving - the newest ending is finally looking like a death, and the change in the final tone of the music helps. I think Scott overdid the emoting at the GPFinal, again, just my opinion.
Personally, I love the top two teams - they are so different stylistically at their different times in their careers. I'm just glad P/C found their way to mentally keep strong this season. I do hope that the outcome on the day is based on the skating (whoever wins) and not something else.

Last edited:

pani

That's what I am talking about. Even if PC spin never yet was so fast, like Bethoven, there fans talked about perfection and came to VM thread to tell how bad they are with visual faster and more powerful skating.
And Moonlight Sonata is too simple choice for team who all the time talking about how they are unique compare to all others ;) I agree with Averbuch.

MsZem

I see the sea
O, tell this to DW and PC fans. ;)
There are plenty of P/C fans who would have been quite unhappy with P/C's music choice for the SD, who have said that they'd like to see different spins or lifts, and who find Papadakis to be more expressive in the SD or Cizeron to be the better ice dancer (but let's be honest, Cizeron really is an amazing ice dancer). This does not mean that they do not appreciate P/C, or feel that they're undeserving of their marks.

As for D/W, I have no idea. There's nothing for me to do in a D/W fan thread except admire Charlie's tweets.

Last edited:

chapis

Somehow though, VM are held to a higher standard. For some reason they seem to be put under a magnifying glass more so than other teams by both fans and non-fans. Don’t understand why that is.

In any case, they are just magnificent!

I think it's because people already know what they are capable of, if suddenly C/B were skating as V/M people would go crazy with them. I think that is the reason why it is difficult to return to competition after having had a successful career, people are always going to ask for more and they are not measured with the same yardstick. That same situation benefited P/C, people had very low expectations with their SD, therefore, anything merely decent was going to be applauded. We know that V/M are not perfect and they have made some mistakes, but let's be honest, if another team were skating like that, those mistakes would be overlooked. Same with the different styles that they have performed, people do not realize how difficult it is to skate so many different styles convincingly.

That is the same reason why I found the positive side of the Shibs having mistakes in their twizzles in the GPF, people get used to them always getting their twizzles and take them for granted, many times without noticing how difficult they are.

MsZem

I see the sea
Why I need all the time read about PC in this thread? I didn't go to there thread, so why I need to read about them if I don't what to do this?
Hmm... because you keep bringing them up?
That's what I am talking about. Even if PC spin never yet was so fast, like Bethoven, there fans talked about perfection and came to VM thread to tell how bad they are with visual faster and more powerful skating.
And Moonlight Sonata is too simple choice for team who all the time talking about how they are unique compare to all others ;) I agree with Averbuch.
That PC skated the same FD all the time. And he said they didn't show nothing new compare to VM. And he will support VM and hope they will win at the end.
O, tell this to DW and PC fans. ;)
I've spent more time discussing V/M here recently than you have. And I admire their skating, but am hardly a fan, mostly because I think they've been better than their programs for years.

volunteer

I've spent more time discussing V/M here recently than you have. And I admire their skating, but am hardly a fan, mostly because I think they've been better than their programs for years.

What would be the motivation for someone who is hardly a fan of a team to post in a thread dedicated to them?

Is it to remind us that:
VM are old, after all 8 years have passed since their OG gold. Or maybe it’s to advise us brainless VM fans to stop complaining, to “celebrate”?
Enlighten us, please.

MsZem

I see the sea
Am I that transparent?

I find V/M interesting, even if their programs are not my cup of tea. They're really impressive skaters. I wish I could enjoy them more often than I have.

It's also interesting for me to hear from some of V/M's more thoughtful fans about their perspective and how they experience said programs. Interacting with people who have different views than my own is part of the fun of being on FSU. Interacting with people who go on about fixes and conspiracy theories, on the other hand, is not fun.

professordeb

I would just like to say that I wish with all my heart I could see them one last time. Alas, finances won't allow and there's my physical complications. Please, to all of you seeing them whether it be at Nationals or the OG, know that I am cheering along with you on the sidelines.
For me, Tessa & Scott are truly are a once in a generation ice dance skaters and dancers. I try to remind myself that they are skating out of love for the sport, to music which they love/resonate. For me, that's reason enough to love their programs.
I care for P/C but not at the same level as V/M. Of course, I've been following V/M for years and met them in person. I have many great and wonderful memories of the types of dances they have shown us both in and out of competition. I think the fondness that I feel for P/C can grow given time. I must say that I really like Gabrielle, she sells the heck out of her part of the dances.
I believe that ID in the future will not hold the same intensity on me as it has these past years simply because Tessa & Scott will actually be retired. I am going to enjoy the rest of this season ...come what may.

Excidra

I was also hoping that someone would make a side-by-side video comparison of V/M between SCI/NHK with GPF on YouTube, like last season. :p I feel the changes are really making MR come together better. Watched again yesterday. Scott's expression at the beginning was just so fierce. The attack on tango part was just right, I feel. Hope as they fine tune all the changes before Feb, more gentler/softer movements will be consistent from CWM. It's there but I saw it more at SCI. I really do think timing of their movements to the music is crucial. It's so minute. That's why I think SCI performance was what captivated me completely. This is just my opinion ...

ITA about the timing if their movement. It is crucial to this program, and when they get it right, it's unworldly. I can't wait to see MR danced just perfectly.

MsZem

I see the sea
As VM and ice dance fans partial judging has led us to believe what we believe.
If you dont find interfacing with us fun....please dont honour us with your presence. Many of us will be a lot happier without the honour!
I specifically noted that I find it interesting and enjoyable to interact with V/M fans who can share their enthusiasm for Tessa & Scott and their programs. Having only had one opportunity to see them live, I'm sure there are things I might be missing out on.

But if some V/M fans prefer to spend their final season trashing their competitors and discussing various conspiracy theories, knock yourselves out.

bbkenn

When is the SD at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships? I can't wait to see it.

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?
The link to the PDF is https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2018-CTNSC-Schedule-DE7.pdf
and it appears that the SD for the seniors is being held at 12:26 for group A and 13:15 for group B. Not sure who is assigned to which group. Maybe later?

IIRC, teams with byes skate in reverse order of their placements at the previous year's championship; all other teams skate in reverse order of their placement at Challenge (unfortunately, I have no idea where teams that WD from Challenge fit in if they do go on to nationals). V/M will skate last in group 2 (the other teams in that group will be S/W, S/F, G/P, and W/P).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information