Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir, #46 : Until the End of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

Goody2shoes

Finally caught up with comments about SD and FD. I was puzzled about comments on the busyness or frantic moves of an SD it was. I saw no proof of that (in terms of the choreography) as I watched and rewatched the SD (with and without music). End up loving it more now.

Aside from my earlier comment on the previous thread about the last music piece (seemingly out of place), I love how the opening (by Scott) set the mood/tone with throughout ... Just sooo fluid one transition to another. MF was right that VM really know how to do Latin ballroom. (There's that one choreographed move usually done in Latin ballroom that I love - one where they hold and twirl at the beginning of their routine? That and other floor moves/elements (and that ending pose) while on skates..and nailed it like they were on a ballroom floor? Just brilliant!

Honestly, I have yet to really fall in love with MR. Who knows maybe come SCI in October, I will feel differently. However, having said that, I watched the completed FD with the new costumes. Felt somewhat they reined in, rather than the abandoness(?)/open feel I got from their very first FD practice. It's a process. Skate wise ... I believe they still delivered at ACI :)

dramagrrl

Tessa just posted on Instagram that there is a special VM project they're working on for CBC. Dare I hope for an old-school lavish skating special like the ones CBC used to do so well in the 90s??

PS: For non-Canadians, CBC is our national government-funded media station (TV and radio).

sap5

Tessa just posted on Instagram that there is a special VM project they're working on for CBC. Dare I hope for an old-school lavish skating special like the ones CBC used to do so well in the 90s??

Where's the $$ for that?

dramagrrl

Where's the $$ for that?
If they partner with a production company that has financial backing (like CBC did for the recent Anne series which was clearly expensive to produce), it could be possible.

sap5

If they partner with a production company that has financial backing (like CBC did for the recent Anne series which was clearly expensive to produce), it could be possible.

But why would they do that for an Olympic fluff piece?

dramagrrl

But why would they do that for an Olympic fluff piece?

I wasn't talking about a fluff piece. I was talking about a full hour plus long skating special starring VM, like CBC did with Kurt's You Must Remember This, Brian Orser's two lavish specials, Elvis: Incognito and other big TV skating specials in the 90s. Why would they do that? 1) If a production company wanted to fund it, it wouldn't be a financial burden for CBC, and 2) in an Olympic year, it could easily bring in big ratings, esp. if they aired it during the holiday season or right before the Olympics.

VGThuy

Back in the days when top skaters (some of them still competing at the top level) would be offered opportunities to film tv specials.

randomsplashes

"Until the end of time" Seeing this made me reflect on Tessa and Scott's comeback and how lucky we are as fans to witness this amazing journey.
When I saw Tessa and Scott's Mahler performance in the Olympics, I immediately fell in love with them and the sport. I feel so privileged as a fan to watch them skate so many memorable pieces such as the masterpiece of Carmen, Hip Hip Chin Chin, Prince etc. Tessa and Scott went through so many highs and lows, from winning their first and second worlds to setbacks due to T's surgery but yet they persevered. Even in Sochi, when they came a heartbreaking second, they skated their hearts out and laid out their best performances. As a fan, I was so proud of them yet I thought that it was going to be the end of the V/M era. But Tessa and Scott surprised us by coming back and proving everyone that they could be even better. And now, they're in their final season and they have blessed us with such beautiful programs that only a team of their caliber could pull off. In a few months, they'll be stepping on the ice for the last time in Pyeongchang and perhaps giving us the greatest performance ever.

Maddie Sparks

PS: For non-Canadians, CBC is our national government-funded media station (TV and radio).

They were being followed around by a CBC film crew at ACI as well.

martyross

i teared up reading your post, randomsplashes, but then again i believe we'll still get VM doses per other ways in the future. Dubreil-Lauzon are really leaving their mark on ice dance after their retirement,i believe Tessa and Scott will do the same, they just love it too much to let it go :D well its not the same as seeing them competing obviously but im sure they will keep being in the ice dance world for years.

manhn

CBC did a documentary for Torino, tracking Buttle, Lesley Hawker, Eman, Joannie and Christopher Mabee.

CBC did a documentary for Russia, tracking V&M, Patrick and Rudi & Paige. I figure they will be doing the exact same thing.

Goody2shoes

Any chance someone can record and post it once it's out? Probably it's copyrighted, yes? :p Sigh, I'd love to see it ...

sap5

For me one of the most interesting aspects of V/M's new programs is Scott taking some moments to highlight himself and his own dancing. Usually he's all about making sure your eye is always on Tessa. I wonder what motivated him to make this change.

Goody2shoes

What kind of ex do people want to see from V/M in their final year of competition? I'll tell you my fantasy: something light and comedic, like Koine and Lex's L-O-V-E dance from this season's SYTCYD. I'm obsessed with it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BpUTkN0QTs
Oh my. Yes! :) This song is perfect for them to do! After Sochi's Cheek-to-cheek SD, I wouldn't mind another ...

For me one of the most interesting aspects of V/M's new programs is Scott taking some moments to highlight himself and his own dancing. Usually he's all about making sure your eye is always on Tessa. I wonder what motivated him to make this change.

I felt that Tessa began to hold her own starting from when they did that Hip hip chin chin FD routine at Worlds (after surgery). But in Carmen, she shined. First time, I thought she could be equally strong or even stronger than Scott. Maybe this reason Scott also pushed himself to be that. Just thinking of their off ice practice videos. Tessa's better dancer but Scott does hold his own.

On ice now, they look to be equal footing artistically and technically. What makes me admire them as dance couples is when they dance together, both are willing and respecting to give each other the spotlight. You can still see Tessa let Scott lead and then, Tessa has a turn. They are so good at playing off each other in their programs. Wonder who's the genius - the choreographers or them? Both parties perhaps?

sap5

What makes me admire them as dance couples is when they dance together, both are willing and respecting to give each other the spotlight. You can still see Tessa let Scott lead and then, Tessa has a turn.

It's like that now, but I don't think it was much like that before. I always had the impression that they were very traditional ballroom: Tessa is the flower, Scott is the stem. His job is to support her and be complimentary in the movement, so that he doesn't distract. He's said it himself many times -- "if your eye is on Tessa, I've done my job," or words to that effect. I think this is the first season where he's not dancing behind her or looking/pointing at her, but rather dancing looking at the audience and doing something that will make your eye leave her and go to him.

kittysk8ts

O, guys, i thought from very young age TS were equaly strong in technik and presentation and people talked we didn't have a lot of teams like this.
Yes that is true @pani. They are likely the best matched team ever in ice dance. What @sap5 says is true as well. They were very traditional ballroom because that is what the McIntosh and Zueva schools taught. "partnering" , the man's job, is a huge focus in Canadian ice dancing at the early stages as well and Scott has been considered one of the best at this. It is the Gadbois school that designs their programs in the way @sap5 describes. The difference was so obvious in Latch compared to their previous body of work. I love both styles and I loved Latch and what I have seen this past week, so I am lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information