Tarasova/Morozov Cheer Thread

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs

Sylvia

TBD
"Morozov fell ill with coronav*rus" - he & Tarasova will miss the first stage of the Russian Cup this weekend :(:
Google translated excerpt:
"Yes, the test showed a coronavirus. I hope that the form is mild, there was a temperature in the first days. And now it has more or less normalized. My head aches. Rarely there is a cough, a sore throat. I undergo treatment at home. On September 28, I should take a test. If it is negative, in a day I will hand over another one, and then I will be able to go on the ice. Hopefully, we will be in time for Skate America and we will perform at the later stages of the Russian Cup, "Morozov said by phone." We are skipping the Russian Cup stage in Syzran, but I hope this (coronavirus ) short history".
T/M originally were planning to compete in the second stage of the Russian Cup in Moscow (October 10-13) -- sounds like they may skip it as well? Skate America is Oct. 23-25.

Last edited:

Amy L

Hopefully he doesn't develop anything worse than his fever and headaches. Breathing issues/lung damage would be catastrophic for anyone, but for a pair skater who is responsible for lifting another person it could be career ending. :( Once he recovers, I wish they could decide to pick a country and stay there for a while. Flying back and forth is such a risk. Surely the Russian Federation can't stick to their Russia Cup qualifiers being mandatory, dozens of skaters have withdrawn already. It's clearly not a workable plan so far.

aka_gerbil

I'm hoping and praying that Vladimir's case is a very mild case, that no new symptoms develop, and that he makes a full recovery. On one of the Russian boards I was reading via Google Translate, one poster said that T/M have chronic bad luck. Between Evgenia's injury last season and now this, it sure seems that way.

He told the press that he will be retested on the 28th, then it sounded like if that's negative, he'll be restested again on the 29th, and assuming that is negative, he plans to be on the ice next day. Then, he said they hope to still make it to Skate America and do two of the later Russian Cup events. I know they're probably feeling pressure, but I just hope no one external (RusFed) is putting pressure on them to return before he is fully recovered.

I don't see either how RusFed could possibly stick to their everyone must do two Russian Cup events to get to nationals plan. Too many of their big guns in all four disciplines have had to drop out of events already or may have to for various reasons. At this point, telling teams like T/M, S/K, and possibly S/B or skaters like Samarin, Aliev, Medvedeva, etc. that they can't skate at nationals seems ridiculous and petty given the world situation. Show everyone some grace and just bye through their top 5 from nationals last year or at least their medalists like USFS or SC would do.

Doing some figuring backwards from his retest date and the incubation time, Vladimir could have picked this up before they left Florida, during the trip, or even after they were back in Moscow. If he started showing symptoms and was tested the 14th, if it was the average 5 days, then that puts him picking it up on the 9th, when they were back in Moscow. That said, flying back and forth, at least from my perspective, is just not feasible. I know they wanted to make it work, but.... I think they'd be better off to stay in Russia as they'll have more opportunities to compete, provided Vladimir recovers. The YNW - emic isn't going to last forever. If things are better in a year, maybe they could return to Florida then. If they decide to continue on to 2026, then maybe they could go back to Florida if they can't go back next year. In the meanwhile, I think Max has done a better job than Max or anyone else gives him credit for, or maybe given the situation in the world, the St. Petersburg coaches would agree to take them for a year. The back and forth is just a bad idea.

aka_gerbil

Granted this is a fan account and I read the caption with auto-translate, but it sounds like RusFed does sound like they’re sticking with what they said originally.

hxxps://www.instagram.com/p/CFSd-yZpoSE/?igshid=3dahk1nst9d6

aka_gerbil

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
A fragment of Max talking about Vladimir’s health on Match TV was posted on Instagram. It is in Russian, but there is a short summary in the comments.

Update: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200921/morozov-1577550995.html

It sounds like Vladimir’s symptoms are gone He has another week of quarantine though. It seems like they’re still going to try to make SA and then do one of the later Russian Cup events.

are they doing just one GP?

Amy L

We're not having a typical GP series this year. I don't think anyone is doing more than one due to travel restrictions. I have no idea how they're going to awards points for the GPF (so far it's still on the schedule, and the GPF is the test event for the Olympics venue).

rfisher

Let the skating begin
We're not having a typical GP series this year. I don't think anyone is doing more than one due to travel restrictions. I have no idea how they're going to awards points for the GPF (so far it's still on the schedule, and the GPF is the test event for the Olympics venue).
They could be assigned to the Russian event since they'll need to be home for Russian nationals anyway.

aka_gerbil

What Amy said—only one gp event per skater/team this year. The participants are supposed to be from the country the event is in or those who train in that country.

T/M had said they were supposed to do Skate America and are still going to try to aim for it. After Vladimir’s bout with YNW, I’d wondered if they might get moved to the Russian GP event to give them more time.

They were supposed to have to compete in two Russian Cup events to get to nationals. I presume since they’re now saying they’re only doing one, RusFed is going to meet them part way given the circumstances. I can’t imagine RusFed would tell the reigning silver medalists they can’t compete at nationals. (Granted, skating feds do sometimes do insane things.)

aka_gerbil

There’s a new update in the Russian press. https://tass.ru/sport/9572641

They’re withdrawing from the second cup event. They want to still try for SA, but aren’t sure if they’ll be ready. They’re going to do the last Russian cup event. From Max’s words via google translate, it sounds like they hope it’ll be enough for the fed to let them go to nationals.

Amy L

I always assumed that the 2nd Russia Cup event would be coming up too soon for them to be prepared for it. I wish they would forget about SA and just stay in Russia until Nationals. Flying back and forth is too risky, what if Evgenia gets cv19 next? They've already have to do what, three 2-week long quarantines?

aka_gerbil

I always assumed that the 2nd Russia Cup event would be coming up too soon for them to be prepared for it. I wish they would forget about SA and just stay in Russia until Nationals. Flying back and forth is too risky, what if Evgenia gets cv19 next? They've already have to do what, three 2-week long quarantines?

Shared brain. There is no reason for this back-and-forth. SA is probably going to be extra ridiculous anyway as essentially a US domestic event.

If they still need to work out the problems with the FS, they could work with Zoueva over zoom or bring in a choreographer based in Russia.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Have they announced their LP music yet?

Not yet.

I agree with those that say they should skip SA. My concern is they travel there, and then they still can't skate due to the lingering effects of his crud fatigue, or if she catches it, and they withdraw anyway, and then have to travel back to Russia again for the Russian cup. I understand the Russian GP would be a harder event, but they should probably just skip the GP altogether and do their Russian cup qualifier and Nationals. This is an unprecedented time. All the travel isn't good. Skipping the GP even just for the fear of catching crud is reasonable, like Hanyu, so actually having caught it is more than an adequate excuse. Just come back strong for the second half of the season.

aka_gerbil

With the (bad) luck that T/M have had the past couple of years, Evgenia probably would manage to catch the crud too via travel.

Skipping the GP all together and just focusing on Russian Cup+Nationals is not the worst idea in the world. It sounds like Vladimir had a mild case, but they really don't know what they're going to be dealing with in terms of stamina, etc. until they get back on the ice. It may take some time. There's no sense in pushing to make an atypical GP event in a topsy turvy world. I think everyone would/should understand given that Vladimir caught the crud and is recovering from it.

I remain unconvinced that the second half of the season will be able to happen, but they could just focus on putting down strong skates at nationals.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not yet.

I agree with those that say they should skip SA. My concern is they travel there, and then they still can't skate due to the lingering effects of his crud fatigue, or if she catches it, and they withdraw anyway, and then have to travel back to Russia again for the Russian cup. I understand the Russian GP would be a harder event, but they should probably just skip the GP altogether and do their Russian cup qualifier and Nationals. This is an unprecedented time. All the travel isn't good. Skipping the GP even just for the fear of catching crud is reasonable, like Hanyu, so actually having caught it is more than an adequate excuse. Just come back strong for the second half of the season.
ITA, I wanted to give it a thumbs up but somehow I a, not allowed to. I am awaiting a response.

I think they are not ready for SA, with his sickness, missed practice time, and add to that risks of travel. It will not help them to make a bad impression. They really should wait for a Russia GP or Cup and make a good impression.

aka_gerbil

Between the illness and travel time, I don't see how they could be ready for SA--or ready enough to make a good impression. After struggling with Evgenia's injury last season, I think they would benefit more to wait until they're ready to compete and can have a couple of strong skates to give a good impression. A couple of strong skates at nationals is going to do their reputation more good than just trying to make it through SA.

I'm wondering/hoping that now that the GPF has been cancelled, if they'll rethink their plans.

Amy L

They apparently decided against doing the GP and will concentrate on the Russia Cup events to qualify for Nationals.

I haven't heard anything about Vladimir's return to the ice, he would have gotten a few days practice in by now if things went well. I hope he didn't wind up with any lasting health problems.

aka_gerbil

Max said late last week they’re planning to resume training tomorrow:

The article is in Russian, but google translate didn’t seem to turn it to word soup.

Edit: They were assigned to SA initially as their event and not Rostelecom.

I think they have made a smart decision here to just concentrate on the Russian Cup events and getting to nationals. Especially with the GPF cancelled/postponed, no world standing points or scores counting for SB, etc., and it being a requirement to do two RC events to get to nationals.

Last edited:

Amy L

I guess they liked their SOS exhibition and looked into more Dimash? I'm not really into the trend of adding lyrics to classical pieces, but it's not like they started it or anything.

All I could find on YouTube were live recordings, but here's the music:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I guess they liked their SOS exhibition and looked into more Dimash? I'm not really into the trend of adding lyrics to classical pieces, but it's not like they started it or anything.

All I could find on YouTube were live recordings, but here's the music:

This could be a good vehicle for them to bring emotion and drama into their LP. Usually I don’t like classical music turned into a vocal but it could work for T&M. I like Adagio by Albinone, and this vocal is a good choice for them. As they showed in their exhibition last year at the RN, they Can show emotion in their skating.

I had never heard of Dimash(autocorrect is driving me crazy, changing his name to DI ash). This is the first time I heard him sing. He sings very high notes, like my favorite singer Vitas.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

I had never heard of Dimash(autocorrect is driving me crazy, changing his name to DI ash). This is the first time I heard him sing. He sings very high notes, like my favorite singer Vitas.

Dimash also sang “SOS d'un terrien en détresse” that T/M used for their gala program.

Denis Ten used it for us FS in 17-18. W/P also used it for their FD when they last competed in 2019.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Dimash also sang “SOS d'un terrien en détresse” that T/M used for their gala program.

Denis Ten used it for us FS in 17-18. W/P also used it for their FD when they last competed in 2019.
What is SOS? I dont remember the performance unless it was at the RN and Europeans last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information