Spayed dog...tips?

Andrushka

So my dog got spayed this week, she usually runs out to go potty on her own but she can't get her stitches wet(it's freezing rain), she is balking at using a puppy pad.... Any ideas? She also won't go poop if i'm watching her. When I walk her I have to turn my back. She's a lab/bird dog I rescued and she's going nuts being stuck in the house lol pouted because i took away her tennis ball after she shredded it, gave her a kong ball,hates it because she can't destroy it. Had to send my mom to get her a big natural bone at the Co-op....about to resort to bring small branches in the house. She likes breaking big sticks into little sticks. I also now have to replace a mini blind because she destroyed it because she wanted outside really bad and so ...revenge.

Tips?

TheGirlCanSkate

Can you leave a message for your vet? Maybe using an umbrella she can have a quick bathroom break with a gentle pat dry right after.

Andrushka

She won't go if I'm watching . I'm thinking of putting a T-shirt on her and knotting it on her back to keep it dry.

vireo

One bitter cold, snowy winter, I devised little booties out of baggies so my long haired dog could go outside to potty without blobs of snow adhering to her feet. You might be able to make a little rain coat for your dog out of a plastic trash can liner. Have you ever seen that Eighties music video, "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls? That should give you some ideas. :)

If your dog's stitches do get wet, a blow dryer might help. Just remember to keep the temperature setting warm (not too hot or too cold), and keep the fan speed low, so the force of the air isn't too strong.

Tinami Amori

a) Get her an OVERSIZED dog-rain-coat, maybe 2 sizes bigger, so that the back end hangs over, and the material is sturdy enough.

http://vizslatea.com/wp-content/themes/viszla/img/collection2/img5.jpg

http://www.bwdogcoats.com/images/raincoat-dog-saluki.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/060/0/7670702/il_fullxfull.754292559_8l9s.jpg

b) If you dog is too big for even an XXL dog-rain coat, and/or you don't have time to order it on line or find in a store, make it yourself out of an old light-fabrique rain coat, like this foto below. The idea is to only cover the back end, so take a piece of stirdy plastic strip, attach to color, ran along the her spine, extend past tail bone by 10-12 inches, and put plastic fabrique over it, like a "tent". I can't find exact fotos, but something like this.... you can figure it out how to use plastic material around your dog, so that it extends past her tail like a "tent"

http://cdn.instructables.com/FH6/HRDV/I64XIC6L/FH6HRDVI64XIC6L.SQUARE2.jpg

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1kG6j...nt-Suit-Suit-Costume-Coat-Jacket-Jumpsuit.jpg

or you can buy or use just ANY fabrique that is water resistant and just "wrap it" with belt or velkrow. The idea is to make it look like this.
http://www.bwdogcoats.com/images/raincoat-dog-saluki.jpg

Had to send my mom to get her a big natural bone at the Co-op....

I read and few vets confirmed that "natural bones" are not that good for the dogs tooth enamel. It is better to give him/her bully-sticks, also natural (but not too many either, maybe 2 large ones per week, or 4 short ones per week, and NO PIG EARS they are not good for the dog for several reasons).

Large sticks about 10-12 inches
http://bow-wowbarkery.com/images/ChewStick1_zoom.jpg

Smaller sticks 5-8 inches
https://pawstruck-pawstruck.netdna-...97daa66f/s/t/straight-bully-sticks-5-inch.jpg

Last edited:

Andrushka

She'd destroy those sticks in seconds lol she's a chewing machine.

She's got one of my over sized t-shirts on right now and knotted. It's stopped raining but she's find of lying in the yard on wet grass.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I doubt it will cause her any issues to go potty. Leash her and walk her and you'll be in control. Unless the grass is belly deep, she shouldn't get her stitches wet. None of my female dogs have ever had any issues with their incisions after spaying, and one of them was an extremely active Standard Poodle. My males are always much bigger babies after being neutered.

AJ Skatefan

We did put a t-shirt on one of our dogs to keep her from messing with her stitches and to keep them dry. It didn't bug her at all. We also put shorts on her and took them off when she went outside.

Japanfan

A t-shirt is a good idea - any fabric to cover the stitches.

Alternatively, is there anywhere you can take the dog that is outside, but covered. When it's raining I take my dog out to fetch at a nearby schoolyard. There is a small covered area there next to a field, and I stand under the covered area tossing balls out into the field. The flooring is concrete, so I don't know that dog would poop there. But, something like that might be worth a try.

Tinami Amori

I have a question to those who said "we covered our dog with t-shirt" as a solution to protect from the rain.

How does an absorbent fabrique protects dog's skin and wound from the rain? The wound is on the bottom, the t-shirt is on the back and wraps around the body; rain falls, t-shirt is soaked, water spreads and travels on the t-shirt surface by principle of absorption and then gravity towards the bottom and comes in contact with the wound......

I am not picking at you guys. I hope i missed something. Had i heard it is a "human" putting a t-shirt to hide a wound from the rain, i would not have asked this, one's free to do what one wants. But we are talking about an animal who is completely in our control, and does not have a choice HOW WE PROTECT HIS WOUND.

Please set my mind at east, and let me know what are the advantages of a T-shirt in the rain?

Andrushka

A t-shirt is a good idea - any fabric to cover the stitches.

Alternatively, is there anywhere you can take the dog that is outside, but covered. When it's raining I take my dog out to fetch at a nearby schoolyard. There is a small covered area there next to a field, and I stand under the covered area tossing balls out into the field. The flooring is concrete, so I don't know that dog would poop there. But, something like that might be worth a try.

There isn't.But thankfully we only have 1 day left.She can go Wednesday to get her stitches out.So glad.

Andrushka

I have a question to those who said "we covered our dog with t-shirt" as a solution to protect from the rain.

How does an absorbent fabrique protects dog's skin and wound from the rain? The wound is on the bottom, the t-shirt is on the back and wraps around the body; rain falls, t-shirt is soaked, water spreads and travels on the t-shirt surface by principle of absorption and then gravity towards the bottom and comes in contact with the wound......

I am not picking at you guys. I hope i missed something. Had i heard it is a "human" putting a t-shirt to hide a wound from the rain, i would not have asked this, one's free to do what one wants. But we are talking about an animal who is completely in our control, and does not have a choice HOW WE PROTECT HIS WOUND.

Please set my mind at east, and let me know what are the advantages of a T-shirt in the rain?

When putting the tshirt on her,atleast in our case,the tshirt material is not up against the wound,it is more so shielding it from splash from below.It's ok for mist,not ok for downpour. Unfortunately that was the only option available at the moment as I live quite a bit from a larger city. And I'm not interested in investing a lot of money for something only needed for a few days. We have resorted to puppy pads for going potty as she still refuses to potty with an audience and we went on walks when it wasn't raining.Only 1 more day left and she can go out and potty on her own again.

Tinami Amori

Oh, i see! you were concerned about splashing from the ground! I thought you were asking how to protect from the "rain above" so the water does not drip along her body to her wound on the bottom. In that case sorry for my question about t-shirt. glad she learned to use the pads. poor baby! hope she handles her last day well. Give her a kiss on the nose for me.

Andrushka

I will. :) Nope didn't drip so much anywhere near the incision.
I hope she takes it well too lol one more day and she can go chase sticks to her hearts content. She tried to play with my Maine Coone last night and it didn't go over well lol

Skittl1321

Can't help- but I'll commiserate. My dog won't go when we are watching either. And never, ever on a walk. (She's gone while on a leash, when we didn't have a fence, or when camping, but only when tied up- if we are holding the leash- no way!)

Andrushka

Can't help- but I'll commiserate. My dog won't go when we are watching either. And never, ever on a walk. (She's gone while on a leash, when we didn't have a fence, or when camping, but only when tied up- if we are holding the leash- no way!)

Yep I've been having to tie her out to let her go. I fully expect once her stitches are out she will probably stay gone all day visiting her friends and pooping in her spot lol I live in a little Mayberry town,our neighborhood had neighborhood dogs that go out with their little coats on and go visit their dog friends and human friends all up and down the street, always staying on the side walk then they come home once they make their rounds lol

JanetB

Just a suggestion for a do it your self dog raincoat, try getting a child's rain poncho from the dollar store, put it on you dog and trim it to size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information