SOLO ICE-DANCE...A QUESTION I'M WONDERING ABOUT?

FSWer

Say, I was wondering about something? I Jackson Haines founded Solo Ice-Dance...why did it take so long to become an official Discipline? Does anyone know? Thanks.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Because it was based on ballroom dancing which was traditionally done by couples. Now the skating federations are starting to realize that not everyone can find a partner to compete with, so solo dance is now officially available for skaters without partners.

Solo ice dance has been a category in a lot of smaller competitions for many years.

gkelly

What Jackson Haines did was to create the concept of figure skating as performing art by bringing his knowledge from his off-ice career as a dancer onto the ice, both on his own and with costars.

He did not create "ice dance" as either a partnered or a solo competition discipline. But his performances showing waltzes and other dances on the ice in the 1870s contributed to skaters in Vienna and elsewhere taking up waltzing etc. on ice in couples as a social pastime, which eventually led to the beginnings of (partnered) ice dance competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information