Slovakia JGP and Nepela canceled

Orm Irian

Sensible of them to cancel in good time. They're in a good situation right now but it's smart to think ahead to the possibility of a second wave, or of the events triggering a second wave as so many international skaters and their teams arrive - I'd guess they don't have enough international skaters training within their borders to make Nepela viable despite restrictions.

Sabine-Yuna

Sensible of them to cancel in good time. They're in a good situation right now but it's smart to think ahead to the possibility of a second wave, or of the events triggering a second wave as so many international skaters and their teams arrive - I'd guess they don't have enough international skaters training within their borders to make Nepela viable despite restrictions.
I would rather guess they don't have the money anymore. Maybe they have lost the sponsor or the fed has a problem due to the economic crisis that was caused by the shut down. Anyway, it's not good for the sport if competitions get cancelled, but I guess it's hard for the ISU to find some country that could step in at the moment.

ivagall

I would rather guess they don't have the money anymore. Maybe they have lost the sponsor or the fed has a problem due to the economic crisis that was caused by the shut down. Anyway, it's not good for the sport if competitions get cancelled, but I guess it's hard for the ISU to find some country that could step in at the moment.
IIRC at least the Nepela Memorial is organized by the local club, not the federation itself, they just cover some of the expenses afterwards, key word is some. As it's organized by club I can imagine that a lot of funding comes either from the city of Bratislava or the county and as all cities lost a lot of their income due to postponement of tax payment and the counties had a lot of unexpected expenses, buying tests if they wanted to test the nursing homes etc., I can imagine that paying for a figure skating event in September is at the bottom of their priority list at the moment.

I can assure you that there are no international skaters training within the borders of this country. Slovak figure skating is at the moment non-existent, we don't even have anyone who is able to qualify for the free skates at Europeans and looking at junior ranks, unless we adopt some Russian or American skater with or without Slovak roots (Rajicova, Hugec), it will remain so for the forseable future. :D

Miezekatze

I'd bet Nebelhorn will get canceled too.

In Germany I can't imagine sports events with spectators already being allowed in September (plus at the moment there is absolutely no information yet, from when it might be possible to hold an event like that) and then there would be lot of extra organizational efforts and costs to hold the events with all the restrictions in place, plus the risk of it not taking place after all, if numbers get worse again and not even a little income with tickets.

PinkRose

This makes me so extremely sad!! I still wonder if it’s going to die down in mid June like normally it does with seasonal flu’s. I hate to think that it’s not going to be almost gone in summer. Praying for that!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
This makes me so extremely sad!! I still wonder if it’s going to die down in mid June like normally it does with seasonal flu’s. I hate to think that it’s not going to be almost gone in summer. Praying for that!

It probably will not, but regardless, that's cold comfort for those of us for whom summer is a very long time away and it will be winter next month.

Orm Irian

It's not exactly winter in Brazil or Mexico right now. Check out their numbers. And Australia and New Zealand's waves, small though they were by comparison, happened in late summer and autumn.

It's not a flu, so the chances it will start behaving like one now when it hasn't yet are remote, I'm sorry to say.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
ISU's official account on Weibo posted that first three JGPs are cancelled now - not sure if it's just a typo or the Hungary one indeed gets cancelled too.

ISU 青年花样滑冰大奖赛的前三站比赛已确定被取消

DobrinFan

ISU's official account on Weibo posted that first three JGPs are cancelled now - not sure if it's just a typo or the Hungary one indeed gets cancelled too.

I read on the Russian forum that the Hungarian one could be canceled due to lack of funding due to the pandemic. So maybe it has been canceled as well.

DobrinFan

Riga, Latvia added as the 6th JGP event with pairs (Oct 14-17)

Following the cancellation of the first two Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events that were to have been held in Canada and Slovak Republic, the Council approved the application from Riga / LAT to host a Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event.

The revised ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will therefore be as follows:
1st event September 9-12, 2020 Budapest / HUN
2nd event September 16-19, 2020 Yokohama / JPN
3rd event (incl. Pair Skating) September 23-26, 2020 Ostrava / CZE
4th event (incl. Pair Skating) Sept. 30-Oct. 3, 2020 Tashkent / UZB
5th event October 7-10, 2020 Ljubljana / SLO
6th event (incl. Pair Skating) October 14-17, 2020 Riga / LAT

A further update will be given after the Council meeting to be held on July 6, 2020.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information